Finally saw Goodfellas...what's with all the hype?

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
:scust:New nikkas

Nah but really this is one of the most quotable movies w/so many classic scenes

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
fukk YOU!!!

This thread should be locked.. The Coli is falling off
jerry-done.gif

Hugs

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Yawk
First off, I'm actually a big Scorsese fan and have seen most of his work but never GF. Watched it last night, and tried really hard to like it, but am walking away wondering what was so great about it, or if it's even in Martin's Top 5 best movies.

I don't know if y'all have ever watched "Mad Men" but Goodfellas felt like a 2 hour version of that. Mad Men has nothing to do with the mob or anything like that but it became popular because the show has very little overarching plotline or narrative. It's almost like a sitcom, without the comedy. There IS a plot, but it takes the entire course of the series to see it, and you could literally filter out 90% of the show's episodes to get there, just like a sitcom. Each episode kind of feels like a day of the week in someone's life...just random shyt going on that rarely leads to anywhere. Where the show shines is the acting, the strength of the characters masks the lack of plot.

That's exactly how Goodfellas is. There wasn't really much of a plot. It was just a hodge podge of key moments in Henry's life as he rose (and fell) from power. The acting was GREAT and towards the end we do get some kind of narrative but as an entire collective piece, I'm failing to see what was so great about it...I literally spent the first hour and a half of the movie asking myself "where is this going...", and that's really not good when your movie only has like 45 minutes left...
Do you feel this way about every biography? :francis:

Truefan31

Superstar
Daps
First off, I'm actually a big Scorsese fan and have seen most of his work but never GF. Watched it last night, and tried really hard to like it, but am walking away wondering what was so great about it, or if it's even in Martin's Top 5 best movies.

I don't know if y'all have ever watched "Mad Men" but Goodfellas felt like a 2 hour version of that. Mad Men has nothing to do with the mob or anything like that but it became popular because the show has very little overarching plotline or narrative. It's almost like a sitcom, without the comedy. There IS a plot, but it takes the entire course of the series to see it, and you could literally filter out 90% of the show's episodes to get there, just like a sitcom. Each episode kind of feels like a day of the week in someone's life...just random shyt going on that rarely leads to anywhere. Where the show shines is the acting, the strength of the characters masks the lack of plot.

That's exactly how Goodfellas is. There wasn't really much of a plot. It was just a hodge podge of key moments in Henry's life as he rose (and fell) from power. The acting was GREAT and towards the end we do get some kind of narrative but as an entire collective piece, I'm failing to see what was so great about it...I literally spent the first hour and a half of the movie asking myself "where is this going...", and that's really not good when your movie only has like 45 minutes left...

No disrespect but you ain't a big Scorsese fan if you just now watched GF arguably his greatest flick. Prime deniro, prime Pesci, real life events. shyt the real people were more ruthless.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven

Was next level shyt for real.

Everyone wanna be that boss. No waiting, mofos creating room, fresh table just for you to sit. Karen prolly wet as shyt seein that boss shyt:mjlol:

i did that EXACT shyt at that bar... now i can't say exact cause that bar closed down.. but they opened another one with the same name later on

me and a few people roll up, long ass line.. this kid that was with us, 5'2 italian dude, walks up to the bouncer... "hey ray how's the family? good good, my dad says hello.. these are my friends"

dude opens up the rope and lets all 6 of us in... whole line looking like :ohhh:

we all suited up like :jawalrus:

bytches flocked once they got in from outside :blessed:

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
You watched in in 2017.

after watching Mad Men, which is relatively newborn.

Watch it again. Retrospectively.