Finally saw Goodfellas...what's with all the hype?

360Waves

2 girls and they get along like I'm Lou Will
Daps
Reppin
NYC
First off, I'm actually a big Scorsese fan and have seen most of his work but never GF. Watched it last night, and tried really hard to like it, but am walking away wondering what was so great about it, or if it's even in Martin's Top 5 best movies.

I don't know if y'all have ever watched "Mad Men" but Goodfellas felt like a 2 hour version of that. Mad Men has nothing to do with the mob or anything like that but it became popular because the show has very little overarching plotline or narrative. It's almost like a sitcom, without the comedy. There IS a plot, but it takes the entire course of the series to see it, and you could literally filter out 90% of the show's episodes to get there, just like a sitcom. Each episode kind of feels like a day of the week in someone's life...just random shyt going on that rarely leads to anywhere. Where the show shines is the acting, the strength of the characters masks the lack of plot.

That's exactly how Goodfellas is. There wasn't really much of a plot. It was just a hodge podge of key moments in Henry's life as he rose (and fell) from power. The acting was GREAT and towards the end we do get some kind of narrative but as an entire collective piece, I'm failing to see what was so great about it...I literally spent the first hour and a half of the movie asking myself "where is this going...", and that's really not good when your movie only has like 45 minutes left...

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
tumblr_o0g5m25yqr1t5jzlpo1_400.gif

ADP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
mad men is a critically acclaimed show and so is this movie

did you consider it's maybe not to your taste and less so the quality of these two products

hope your 20 or under breh otherwise prepare for a life of game of thrones series and movies

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
I love the movie to death and I've seen it 100 times, and I quote it on a regular basis... but I totally understand where OP is coming from.

it's just a movie about the ramifications of being a gangster, beyond that it doesn't really have much to say thematically. but the filmmaking and acting is so top notch that you can't help but get sucked in.