Film Room Brehs and Sistrehs: Help Support Independent Black Cinema!!!

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Haile has also done documentaries. Here's an old one that he did about the struggles of his hometown Gondar during the Derg Regime:

Last edited:

ghostwriterx

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
https://www.youtube.com/embed/CZhvEyIvnNg
http://igg.me/at/hailegerima <-----indiegogo page
http://yetutlijmovie.com/ <-----Official Movie page

If you already saw my thread in The Root then disregard. If not I'll be as brief as possible.

I work for an independent Black film maker named Haile Gerima, his most well known work is a film called "Sankofa" but he's made other films like Teza, Bush Mama, and Ashes & Embers. He's currently the esteemed professor of film at Howard University and has been since the mid-70s. I'm a wholesaler for his movies and the curator of books at his store which also goes by the same name. Beginning June 1st we will be launching an indiegogo campaign to raise funds for his new film. Right now though, I've been given the link to send to any close friends or people that I think may be interested in donating. The first thing I thought of was the coli so this indiegogo link is actually pretty exclusive since we ain't officially go live yet.

To make a long story short, Haile won a contest and was initially awarded funding from the EU to make his film but due to some fukkass technicality(:cacjpls1:smile:(I explain the technicality further in the thread) the money was taken back. As is, independent film making, let alone Black independent film making, is a grassroots effort that gets the whole community involved and does not enjoy the perks of being some well funded yet hollowed out, soulless, conformist bullshyt. So if you'd like to get involved in this movement please do not hesitate to donate anything that you can spare to the cause.

We can't complain about Black films that don't portray us properly or gives only a superficial view of Black life and culture. So when one of our own staunchly defends a cause like the independent creation of authentic Black culture it's in our best interest to support them. I don't want to make this just a Black thing though, you can be any color as long as you enjoy great indy films that can't and won't be compromised by the same bullshyt Hollywood formula. :hugoehh:

Donate if you can, or just spread the link out to your circle if any of them want to get involved. The indiegogo is http://igg.me/at/hailegerima and if you want to know more about the movie then follow the official twitter and instagram @yetutlijmovie or visit the official website http://yetutlijmovie.com/.

I(actually we) really really really really appreciate all the love and support yall. :wowkobe:
Good luck man. I interned at Sankofa back in undergrad. You went to Howard?

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Good luck man. I interned at Sankofa back in undergrad. You went to Howard?

lol nah, I left school before I made it there. So I just practice my screenwriting off the humble so Haile can critique and give me tips. I've been able to sit in on classes thanks to this job though I haven't sat in any of Haile's yet. That's cool as hell tho breh you part of the Sankofa legacy wit me, yeah they told me they used to have way more interns. I still see some but most of them are from the Communications department.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Quick bump, its Day 2 of the campaign and we're grinding it out. Any pledges from my coli family is big as far as I'm concerned. If we can get enough people from here to help contribute I'll make sure there's an acknowledgement of thecoli or even the Film Room in particular if enough can come from this side. I'd love it if there was a "thecoli.com/The Film Room Society" acknowledgement in the Final credits. :bishop:

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
Because movies aren't defined by race/skin color. His pitch should be "hey I have this idea and I think it would make a good movie, could you please support us" not "Hey I'm a downtrodden individual, if you don't give me money you should feel guilty"

There is not a word in the text about the movie :heh:
:dead:

Last edited:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Slight update, we're doing ok but we can do much better I believe. If yall haven't donated then please I urge you to do so. It can be a small as a $1 or as big as $10,000 whatever you prefer. The brotha Umar Johnson stopped by earlier today and gave a generous donation to the cause, I'm hoping that generous energy can spread to my coli family.

Mind you, I hate having to ask for things like this but its bigger than me unfortunately. I'm a strong believer in supporting something that ultimately deserves the support and a voice like Haile's is one that should not be silenced.