Female student at Rice University killed in dorm room on first day of classes

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Female student at Rice University killed in dorm room on first day of classes​

Police found a note "written by the suspect" at the scene, the chief said.

ByJolie Lash

August 27, 2024, 12:11 AM

GettyImages-1419149113_1724731748647_hpMain_16x9.jpg

1:24

Female student at Rice University killed

A female student at Texas' Rice University was shot and killed on Monday by a man authorities said...

A female student at Texas' Rice University was shot and killed on Monday by a man authorities said she had been in a "dating relationship" with.

University police responded to a request for a welfare check around 4:30 p.m. local time and found the student, who was identified as Andrea Rodriguez Avila, deceased in her room. Police also discovered an "unidentified male with a self-inflicted … gunshot wound, who was not a member of the Rice community," school president Reginald DesRoches told the media.

Chief of Police for Rice, Clemente Rodriguez, confirmed police found a note "written by the suspect" at the scene, leading to their belief that the male shot Avila.

https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...dier-ran-north-korea-plead/story?id=113165486

"In general terms, it was a lot about their relationship, and then obviously they were having a troubled relationship at this time," he said of the note, adding that officials believe it was a "dating relationship."

DesRoches said the "Rice campus is safe, and there is no immediate threat” to the community.

"And tonight, we will wrap our arms around our students," he added.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Rice University student shot dead by boyfriend who then shot self dead​

Christopher Koulouris: About author bio at bottom of article.
-
August 27, 2024
Screenshot-2024-08-27-at-1.32.43.png.webp

Andrea Rodriguez Avila, Rice University student shot dead by boyfriend who shot self in murder suicide.
Andrea Rodriguez Avila, Rice University student shot dead by boyfriend who shot self in murder suicide. Victim originally hailed from Maryland and was believed to be in toxic love relationship.

Andrea Rodriguez Avila, Rice University student shot dead by boyfriend who then killed self in murder suicide at dorm on first day of new semester. Couple had been in troubled relationship.

A junior at Rice University, was shot and killed in her dorm room right before her first class of the semester by a man she was dating. The man then killed himself in a suspected murder-suicide.

Andrea Rodriguez Avila, was identified as the victim, with the Texas college officials stating the college student was gunned down by her boyfriend.

The two were reportedly in a troubled dating relationship.

Tainted love

The shooter, not a student, likely gained access to the dorm through Avila.

The macabre discovery led to Rice University being placed on lockdown for nearly two hours on the first day of classes. Classes were also canceled for Tuesday.

University officers discovered the deceased student, next to a deceased man in her dorm room around 4 p.m. during a welfare check, according to Rice University Police Chief Clemente Rodriguez.

A concerned family member had contacted university police, who responded after learning that Avila had not attended classes that day the Austin American Statesman reported.
Screenshot-2024-08-27-at-1.36.46.png.webp

Avila, a junior from Maryland, had reportedly been fatally shot, and the unidentified man nearby had a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Investigators believe the man shot Avila before turning the gun on himself, according to Rodriguez. The police said the man does not appear to have affiliation with the university.

Andrea Rodriguez Avila, Rice University student shot dead by boyfriend who shot self in murder suicide.
Andrea Rodriguez Avila, Rice University student shot dead by boyfriend who shot self in murder suicide. Images via social media.

Investigators also found a note indicating Avila and the man had been involved in a romantic relationship that had become troubled, CNN reported. Rodriguez says the suspected shooter appears to have entered the residence hall, Jones College, with Avila. University police found no signs of forced entry.

University and Houston police are working together to investigate the deaths.

UnQuantized

Superstar
Daps
Obvious what happened here. Dude with a fragile ego knows he's about to lose his girlfriend as she moves on in life, can't accept it so does a murder suicide. This is one of the things where I have a great deal of sympathy for women. The sense of entitlement and ownership men feel for women, it's never that serious. You don't own her even if you are married. Move on. Maybe I am just too even tempered and always focused on my own shyt, I can never understand the point of view of a person who goes all the way like this.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Truly some lame shyt by the boyfriend. Shorty was going to a great university making something of herself and this bozo who most likely had nothing going on for him lost his shyt.

Rip to the young lady.

Last edited:

Belize King

I got concepts of a plan.
Daps
I have two daughters. It is my job to prepare and warn my children of relationships and red flags. They will do what they want. I can’t control them. Hopefully, I can show them through showing them what a healthy relationship looks like, showing them emotional maturity, and teaching them boundaries. I would hope that preps them for all relationships.

My wife had two boyfriends she had to straight up abandon. To this day, she fears what would happen if they both found her.

A lot of bytchmade men who didnt have proper role models, nor “boys” who told them about themselves in this world.

Many men’s environment is toxic. It’s up to you to rise above the toxicity somehow. We lack community and people aren’t held accountable.

RIP to her soul.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
He was African

OTVfVeI.jpeg

he's on the right.