External hardrive issues?

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
First off didn't know where to post this. Got a 4Terabyte seagate EHD and its not showing up on my macbook; its updated to the latest OS. Nothing I do is working.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I got 50 leven copies of anything important enough to put on an external drive...

Most of the time the info is recoverable unless you literally sledgehammered it into pieces.

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
Do you feel it spinning? If not, it's dead.
brand new bout it yesterday, everything works. it lights up.
i'm open to alternatives for a macbook breh
Format the hd for Mac usage using Disk Utility.

Post in The Arcadium for more help.
doesn't show up in disk utilities. @houston11 could i get a move please
Try a different cable.
what would you recommend? it came with a usb type and my mac uses usc (got a convertor)

You_Ugly_on_Skype

#LurkSet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#LurkSet #LurkLife
I would've said that it's formatted for Windows (NTFS) but you say it's not even showing up in disk utilities. Like the other posters said, it's most likely dead. Since It's new and DOA, I'm guessing you didn't get a chance to store any data on it. Get it replaced breh. Try Western Digital (WDC) or HGST with and external drive enclosure next time.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Try another port and reboot. Macs are flaky as hell with USB drives
Yeah could be the port.

I was saying to try another similar cable just in case the cable was defective. But only if you have a similar one laying around from like a phone or other device.

Maybe try it on another device to see if it reads it or recognizes it? Like I don't know if a game console might recognize it even tho its not formatted?