Ever dated a man that tried to change u?

Marti

Tete status
Daps
Reppin
I have twice both ended abruptly :francis:

I consider myself a confident woman, and dealing with this type of man will take a huge blow at your self esteem :to:

It took me a minute to bounce back from it but i did :manny:

Especially when you dropped your standards to date this person and they have the audacity to try and bring your self esteem and self worth down :wow:

Discuss

Luna

All Star
Daps
Well, he didn't try to change me per se, but he liked me better when I was drunk. I like myself better when I'm drunk too, no biggie. Did he try to change you physically, emotionally or what, OP?

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
Not change me, but mold me, and it wasn't happening (this was my now husband who was my bf at the time and a law student). I wasn't having it. I can be hard headed. It's why I refused to date any guy more than 10 years older than me because they're fukkin annoying. I built myself as a person, and went through a lot of ups and downs and I'm really proud of where I'm at now. I'm the youngest of 10, all older brothers and I resented that treatment of always thinking they know what's best for me. We broke up for a couple years and he was the one who changed when we got back together. :sas1:

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
Yeah, he wanted me to be even more submissive. Like stop asking so many questions, do what he tells me, let him do what he wants. He was so spoiled. Felt he deserved the world just because he was 6'4, dark and drove/worked at Mercedes.

MoonGoddess

Packing All The Flavour You Need
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fantasy.
Yup. But I've talked about that dude enough on here. To bad for him I have a strong sense of self so I couldn't even fake it for him :yeshrug:

Raava

Staff member
Daps
Um I guess in a way, tried to make certain things acceptable to me but he had the wrong one. Another ex was controlling but I think I helped him see that and he began working on it.

It's one thing to help you grow and it's another thing to try to change who a person is. While our flaws make who we are, there is always work that can be done. A good partner helps you with that. But if a guy doesn't like a lot of things about you, and is trying to make you into who he wants you to be then I would tell him to kick rocks.

Daps
i have no problems with people encouraging me to be better. hell i want to be better and i am willing to accept CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. but some folks need to work on their delivery and be more empathetic and understanding. insulting people and acting like you are the smartest person in the room gets you no where