Ethiopian-Israelis Rejecting Mandatory Military Service In Protest of institutional racism

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
WE GIVE THEM OPPORTUNITY AND THE ONES WHO APPRECIATE IT SERVE OUR ARMY WITH PRIDE....THE MINORITY WHO FEEL ENTITLED PULL SHIIT LIKE THIS, PROLLY JUS TRYNA COVER UP FOR THEIR LAZINESS. BUT THE ISRAELI ARMY DOESNT NEED WEAKLINGS ANYWAYS. STRONGEST MILITARY IN THE WORLD FOLKS.

Mr swag

We Out Here
Daps
Reppin
The Well Respected Uptown,Virginia
^interesting post. But modern DNA research does not seem to confirm the melting pot theory as far as I remember. Highlanders have minimal amounts of recent Semitic admixture. The rest of the West Eurasian admixture is pre-agricultural and is shared with other groups of the Horn. How do you explain this? Is there any concrete evidence of a large scale population movement from the countries that you mentioned into Ethiopia? For all modern day habeshas to descend from Axumites, this would require a large population movement.

And what do you make of the fact that there is an Agaw substratum in both Amhara and Tigrinya? This would suggest that the dominant language in the Ethiopian Highlands was Agaw until it was replaced by Semitic.

IMO the ruling class might've been of mixed heritage, but most of the subjects were Cushytes who simply adopted a Semitic language over time. "Habesha" is just a culture really. Lots of assimilated people became habesha whereas others lost their "habesha privilege" and got their habesha card revoked the moment they adopted a different culture/religion (I.e the Muslim Semitic speakers of the Horn).

Eritrean and Ethiopians were Jewish before they converted to Christianity. The people that fled to Israel are the ones that REFUSED to convert. They are not some kind of different people.

Karb

Veteran
Daps
WE GIVE THEM OPPORTUNITY AND THE ONES WHO APPRECIATE IT SERVE OUR ARMY WITH PRIDE....THE MINORITY WHO FEEL ENTITLED PULL SHIIT LIKE THIS, PROLLY JUS TRYNA COVER UP FOR THEIR LAZINESS. BUT THE ISRAELI ARMY DOESNT NEED WEAKLINGS ANYWAYS. STRONGEST MILITARY IN THE WORLD FOLKS.

So you're saying black Israelis are lazy and are simply looking for handouts? Please tell me more, Schmuli :jbhmm:

Karb

Veteran
Daps
Eritrean and Ethiopians were Jewish before they converted to Christianity. The people that fled to Israel are the ones that REFUSED to convert. They are not some kind of different people.

My whole point was that modern day habeshas are semitized Agews so you're basically just repeating what I said.

@2Quik4UHoes disagrees although he acknowledges that the Agew were the original settlers of the Ethiopian Highlands.

Last edited:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
@2Quik4UHoes

How come this Greek etc DNA does not show up when modern day habeshas take a DNA test? There's not much European DNA. All that shows up is a bit of Semitic admixture. The recent Semitic admixture is quite negligible. The bulk of your admixture is prehistoric and is shared with other Horners.

What is your opinion on the following article on the origins of the Tigrinya people? It's from an Eritrean website. I know that many Eritrean nationalists love to distance themselves from their Ethiopian cousins by claiming that y'all have entirely different origins, but this particular article cites archeological studies etc.

The ancestors of the Tigrinya people - Madote

By the way, are you Amhara?

lol, my bad about writing these damn chapter books breh. :russ:

Well consider the fact that Habeshas lived much closer to Semitic peoples so that mixture will always be more pronounced given the log relationship between the Horn and Arabia peninsula. In comparison, any mixtures from European groups should in theory come up as much more miniscule since there was a much lower frequency of contact in comparison to Semitic peoples. I guess we can agree that some of those other names I brought up weren't as prevalent in the mixing., I'm sure there's more that has yet to be uncovered. But I think you can liken the expats in Axum to how Lebanese people have settled in parts of Africa because they're merchants in those societies but the indigenous population greatly outnumbers them. But what you might not find in DNA evidence you'll find in other things. Axum and Byzantium(Which you can call a Greek civilization technically) had a close relationship, many of the early Axum coins that were minted had Greek writing on them until Ge'ez became popular, one of the famous inscriptions in Axum done by King Ezana was written in Ge'ez, Greek, and Sabean, and as I alluded to earlier King Ezana invaded Yemen and took it over on behalf of the Byzantines. I will say this, we definitely share certain names with Greeks like "Petros", "Stephanos", "Elias", etc so whether or not these were holdovers from the Church is a good question but it at least suggests that Greek culture played a part. Hell, "Ethiopia" itself was the Greek name that Menelik II re-introduced to the country in order to better reflect what had become a more diverse society by that time. But imo, Indians had more of a presence in the Horn than any outside group not counting Arabs.

Interesting, I always wanted to know more about Tigray ancestry. I'd definitely check out that link, I'll just prepare myself for potential lulz. My issue is that I find some "Eritrean Studies" to be laughable due to its need to reinvent aspects of Ethiopian history in order to legitimize their nationalism. The length that some of them go to not only separate themselves but flat out steal Ethiopian history to call it Eritrean history is truly disgusting. I seen an Eritrean commenter on youtube claim that Ethiopians stole the first hijra story from Eritreans....even though al Negash is well inside Ethiopian territory right next to Lake Tana. I've had heated arguments where Eritreans would flat out jack the whole Axum and claim it's Eritrean and Ethiopians stole it. The misinformation is scary to me, because you're teaching a whole generation a bunch of false facts or facts that were stolen and re-designed to fit your nationalist agenda. The psycho levels of nationalism combined with the collective confusion makes it hard to take their shyt serious sometimes. Independence is one thing but flat out spinning lies and propaganda is another thing entirely. You meet one and they acknowledge our ties and the truth about our past, you meet another and they say "if I'm not Eritrean then I'm Tigray, I don't got nothing to do with Ethiopia fukk yall nikkaz!". The shyt between us is so maddening sometimes because both sides can be really stubborn in acknowledging the other as being a part of us. I understand it, but it's really tragic to me.

There IS a difference between us though, there are some ethnic groups exclusive to their respective countries, different political ties/leanings, but I'd say the biggest difference comes from the on again/off again occupation of the land which of course didn't always comprise the whole land mass of what is modern day Eritrea. Those occupations (Turks, Italians, etc) did bring different things to Eritrea that Ethiopians didn't experience which is why Eritrea has a more rich architectural history for example. But that coast has always been a flashpoint from the rise of Islam til the present. Aside from that, Ethiopia wouldn't exist culturally or otherwise as a nation without the land mass that is Eritrea. At no point in Ethiopia's history did they not dispute incursions by outsiders into Eritrea (Bahr Negash as it was then called), but Ethiopia was too weak to defend itself so Eritrea was easy pickings at those low points but never was there any notion that Ethiopians and the people that would become Eritreans were different. It wasn't until Menelik II that we finally dropped our claim to Eritrea, which for them was too cold a betrayal to forget. We let them get colonized in order to save our own skin from potential European backlash. As powerful a victory as Adwa was it'll always feel incomplete to me because our brothers and sisters for the first time were essentially given up, denied, and left to be exploited by racist whites. That's some extremely fukked up shyt, but again I understand it on both sides. Our similarities FAR outweigh our differences, when both sides better understand the history they'll realize we were both duped and made to suffer while we were taught to hate each other.

Culturally I was raised Amhara but I'm not a pure blood. My maternal side is Amhara and Eritrean(Akele Guzay) and my father side is Oromo/Amhara. I'm glad I'm not pureblood though, some of them can be racist as fukk.

Last edited:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…

lol, I know I'm probably wasting my time but can I just ask....why exactly shouldn't Ethiopians use denial of their mandatory military service in order to combat the racism that for whatever reason the state doesn't address? If they feel discriminated against, then it should be their right to protest and that shouldn't be dismissed as misguided entitlement or laziness. If you've got housing discrimination, school discrimination, police brutality, I'd say it's far from lazy for someone to risk their ass to protest that shyt.

ThatTruth777

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Much more complicated than that.

Beta Israelites were discriminated against in Ethiopia for centuries. Although I'd say it was nowhere as bad as Europe was to its Jews(ET was more on and off in nature), it still was at a pretty bad point by the time they left for Israel. Plus, you need to factor in the parties that facilitated this shyt. The Derg regime needed weapons as that point to fight the civil war in the north where it was losing badly against the TPLF(current govt)/EPLF(future Eritrean govt) coalition and Israel needed to boost its Jewish population, present a more diverse Israeli society in order to prop itself up as some Junior America within the ME, and get much needed positive press given the Palestine issue. It looked pretty good to airlift an impoverished group of lost/culturally isolated Black Jews whose region was smack in the middle of a devastating drought and a chaotic civil war in one of the most dangerous regions in the world and bring them to what was called a much better situation in the already ethnically complex Israel. So Ethiopia essentially traded its Jews for weapons to fight a war the govt was destined to lose just as soon as the last jet left for Israel.

Also, for the Beta Israelites themselves, they always believed that they would someday return to Israel anyway so for them the aliyah was the fulfilling of a prophecy and to them Israel is their true country even though they acknowledge their Ethiopian/African background. Wish they could've stayed and helped build the country because they to me are a very important group of Ethiopians as they were a major contributor to our cultural development. At one point, you had Christian, Jewish, and Islamic kingdoms in Ethiopia all vying for power at the same time with each bringing something culturally new to the table. shyt, there are a lot of names amongst Orthodox Christians in Ethiopia that you would find in Israel. So the impact of the Beta Israelites on the country is apparent upon introduction to an Ethiopian today.

As for this thread, glad to see them put the Bibi govt to the fire. Why the fukk should they be risking their lives and committing atrocities against Palestinians when this govt is racist as fukk against them. I hope Ethiopia welcomes any of them back home with open arms, they came to the country thousands of years ago to escape war and destruction in Israel. Can't imagine a lot of them don't feel a kinda way getting discriminated against while doing these racist cacs dirty work. :ld:
Not all of them went to Israel though, right? Like is there still a sizable population still in Ethiopia?

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Not all of them went to Israel though, right? Like is there still a sizable population still in Ethiopia?

Nah not all, but nearly the entire Beta Israel population was moved out of Ethiopia to Israel between the mid 80s-early 90s. By then, their numbers were greatly diminished due to war, famine, poverty, the slave trade at one point, and countless other factors. So they weren't the great kingdom that they had been in centuries past, but they were like any marginalized minority in Ethiopia at that time and an important part of Ethiopian society. It's a very tiny population left in Ethiopia today, however some of them their Jewishness is more in question because these are people that converted to another religion and then returned to Judaism only when it was clear that the aliyah (pilgrimage) would take place. Others are having more difficulty in proving their ancestry so their families are split between Israel and Ethiopia. The Israeli govt is kinda like :whoa: towards them because of that, Beta Israelites and Amhara/Tigray Christians-Muslims are damn near indistinguishable aside from religious garb and practice so short of BI's pointing out the frauds it's a worthwhile scheme for Ethiopians of all sorts to get a free ticket to Israel by claiming Jewish ancestry.

To be fair though, proselytizing was a policy among many Ethiopian rulers and Jews were among the many targets so it's hard to blame them for converting when they oftentimes were coerced into doing so. The proselytizing shyt is sad since Ethiopian Jews practiced an ancient form of Judaism going back centuries. They still performed sacrifices and they didn't celebrate Hanukkah because they left Israel before it was invented. Now there are Jewish schools in Ethiopia administered by Israel that teaches them modern Judaism so that unique brand of Ethiopian Judaism is all but extinct at this point. This is a little of the Ethiopian Jews of today:

shyt's fukked up to me. A major part of Ethiopia's cultural tapestry is being lost imo.....very very sad. My fukkin first name is Jewish as fukk so can't no Ethiopian tell me that these are not our people. I knew about Jebenas (the popular coffee pots made by ET Jews) and colorful woven baskets(also made by ET Jews) before I ever knew about sebel (holy water-major in Orthodox Christianity) or Tre Siga (Raw meat, popular delicacy of Amharas and one of the things that made Jews hate us). It's mind blowing how we Ethiopians can shun our own just because of religious differences. We should've taken more pride in being one of the few countries to host vibrant communities of Christians, Jews, and Muslims going back centuries.

Last edited:

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
lol, I know I'm probably wasting my time but can I just ask....why exactly shouldn't Ethiopians use denial of their mandatory military service in order to combat the racism that for whatever reason the state doesn't address? If they feel discriminated against, then it should be their right to protest and that shouldn't be dismissed as misguided entitlement or laziness. If you've got housing discrimination, school discrimination, police brutality, I'd say it's far from lazy for someone to risk their ass to protest that shyt.

I DONT SEE IT LIKE THAT .. IM SURE A LOT OF EM ARE USING "DISCRIMINATION" AS A WAY OUT BECAUSE THEY JUS DONT WANA SERVE. IF THEY WANA PROTEST, THEN THEY SHOULDNT GO TO ISRAELI CLUBS, DATE ISRAELI WOMEN, BUY ISRAELI PRODUCTS .. BUT I BET U THEY DO.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
I DONT SEE IT LIKE THAT .. IM SURE A LOT OF EM ARE USING "DISCRIMINATION" AS A WAY OUT BECAUSE THEY JUS DONT WANA SERVE. IF THEY WANA PROTEST, THEN THEY SHOULDNT GO TO ISRAELI CLUBS, DATE ISRAELI WOMEN, BUY ISRAELI PRODUCTS .. BUT I BET U THEY DO.

They do see it like that though. If they protest, I'd say it's because they really believe in the idea of Israel and that it's their home. They don't have to protest all life in Israel just because they're protesting it's negative elements. But you said you don't see it the way they see it so I'll just let you cook breh.

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
They do see it like that though. If they protest, I'd say it's because they really believe in the idea of Israel and that it's their home. They don't have to protest all life in Israel just because they're protesting it's negative elements. But you said you don't see it the way they see it so I'll just let you cook breh.

YOU REALIZE THAT GETTING OUT OF MILITARY DUTIES IS LIKE WINNING TO LOTTERY TO SOME PEOPLE, RIGHT?

IM NOT SAYIN THATS THE CASE FOR EVERY1, BUT ITS A GOOD EXCUSE TO GET OUT IF ITS ACTUALLY FLYIN.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nah not all, but nearly the entire Beta Israel population was moved out of Ethiopia to Israel between the mid 80s-early 90s. By then, their numbers were greatly diminished due to war, famine, poverty, the slave trade at one point, and countless other factors. So they weren't the great kingdom that they had been in centuries past, but they were like any marginalized minority in Ethiopia at that time and an important part of Ethiopian society. It's a very tiny population left in Ethiopia today, however for a lot of them their Jewishness is more in question because these are people that converted to another religion and then returned to Judaism only when it was clear that the aliyah (pilgrimage) would take place. So the Israeli govt is kinda like :whoa: towards them since they didn't keep the faith when things were at their worse and I would guess that they don't want to open themselves up to a potential flood of Orthodox Christians claiming to be Jewish.

You ever watched that movie about the Christian kid from Ethiopia who pretends to be Beta Israel in order to be sent to Israel?