Erica Mena Calls Spice a Monkey on Love & Hip Hop

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
"Monkey" has a racial undertone, and I rarely see black people use that word referring to other black people. I feel like that would elicit a side eye out from anyone that heard it.

I don't know this lady's ethnic background, but for her to use it if she isn't black, and multiple times, is very :mjpls:
:what: I literally said I'm in agreement that is racist. And there are no undertones. It's explicit. This thread was made because it's a Dominican woman saying it and it's frequently discussed that even though Dominicans have clear African ancestry theres a subset that doesn't like to embrace that fact. However, we as black people DO say things like this to each other. If you really grew up around black folks, you've heard the kind of insults that can be thrown around when things reach a boiling point like this. Folks have chose to single out Erica Mena because she's a Dominican saying this. But if there wasn't a narartive of Dominicans eschewing their African heritage, would this be as big of a deal? Granted she's a Z-list celeb, so her words are going to capture more ears than some complete nobody; but I find the discourse interesting. She's a woman with African heritage, formerly married to a Jamaican, with a Black son. And if she was on that "me no Black papi" time, a woman with her looks could easily snag someone of a "lighter" complexion. So when is it racist and when is it just Black people being derogatory towards one another? I probably shouldn't have commented in the first place on this thread. The Coli isn't a place for nuanced discourse. I've been here too long to have made such an obvious fumble :yeshrug:

fukk racist ass Erica Mena. They should take her Black son away so she doesnt indoctrinate him into a becoming a self-hating c00n.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
All the reality shows of this ilk are Shuck and Jive limbo contests. The people involved have to stoop lower and lower to keep the audience's attention season after season.

The b*t'ch who made that comment is a former video chick/industry whore. No talent, no skills except shucking and jiving for a living. Racist trash.

Once you become a viewer of shyt like this, you hand in your dignity as part of the deal. And have no leg to stand on about right/wrong .

Producers and people behind this trash have no shame and will air anything for ratings.,Minstrel shyt.,Shame on Mona Scott .

NYChase718

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
7xuWw.gif

:laff:

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Y’all let Cardi B get away with calling women at the strip club “monkey faced bytches” on The Breakfast Club and she called a black woman a roach on Love and Hiphop. Hispanics in NY get this weird pass for their disgusting racism.

I can't believe people in here are trying to count their gene pool. even if y tf would that make it acceptable :dahell:

Tess Lies

Sometimes....
Daps
Reppin
District 11
:what: I literally said I'm in agreement that is racist. And there are no undertones. It's explicit. This thread was made because it's a Dominican woman saying it and it's frequently discussed that even though Dominicans have clear African ancestry theres a subset that doesn't like to embrace that fact.

Your post I replied to gave off "they say it all the time, why can't ______?" which is an odd take on the word "monkey" and how it's used by a "person of color" that may or may not embrace their African roots, especially when that word is not really thrown around in the culture like that, in jest or otherwise.

However, we as black people DO say things like this to each other. If you really grew up around black folks, you've heard the kind of insults that can be thrown around when things reach a boiling point like this.

I've been black all my life, and I can't recall a black person around me ever calling someone a monkey. :manny:
Folks have chose to single out Erica Mena because she's a Dominican saying this.

As they should.
But if there wasn't a narartive of Dominicans eschewing their African heritage, would this be as big of a deal? Granted she's a Z-list celeb, so her words are going to capture more ears than some complete nobody; but I find the discourse interesting.

I'm still under the impression that monkey is not a common insult in jest or in anger amongst black people, but I'm willing to be wrong. "Interesting"? Eh....I think it's too understood to be up for discussion, but here we are!

She's a woman with African heritage, formerly married to a Jamaican, with a Black son.

It's really sad that she used it when she has a black son, if that's true. I don't know anything about her other than she's on Mona Scott's payroll.
And if she was on that "me no Black papi" time, a woman with her looks could easily snag someone of a "lighter" complexion. So when is it racist and when is it just Black people being derogatory towards one another?

I guess it's up to whoever hears it, which in this case, she said it in front of the camera for the world to see. The masses will let her know.
I probably shouldn't have commented in the first place on this thread. The Coli isn't a place for nuanced discourse. I've been here too long to have made such an obvious fumble :yeshrug:

It's just the internet. None of this goes on your resume 🙂
fukk racist ass Erica Mena. They should take her Black son away so she doesnt indoctrinate him into a becoming a self-hating c00n.

I'll dap you for that if it helps.