Epic Games is coming after Steam with the launch of their game store

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
https://kotaku.com/the-guy-behind-steam-spy-has-been-working-on-epics-stor-1830890162

If you follow Steam closely, you’ve probably heard of Sergey Galyonkin. Since 2015, he’s been running Steam Spy, a site that scrapes publicly-available data from Steam profiles, analyzes it, and spits out statistics like approximate game sales, average playtime per game, and broader genre and tag trends. A change to Steam’s privacy settings put Steam Spy against the ropes earlier this year, but it’s still bobbing and weaving—albeit more clumsily—for the time being.

Few people outside of Valve are more intimately familiar with Steam’s inner workings than Galyonkin. He has always described the Steam data-gathering mainstay, used by major developers and publishers to take stock of Steam and justify their games’ existence, as a “side project.” His main gig? Director of publishing strategy for Epic’s new store, as it turns out. He announced yesterday that he’s been working on the project for “the past several years.” It didn’t take long for the “Steam Spy was literally a Steam spy” jokes to start rolling in....

:ohhh:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
they just announced that the Epic store will have exclusive Early Access to the new Supergiant game

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
So at they gonna just put their games on the server or will they work with other publishers/Devs?

MegaManX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So at they gonna just put their games on the server or will they work with other publishers/Devs?

there is no point in talking about revenue splits if they OWN the games. This is purely for outside games.

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
My thing is how much cheaper are they going to be compared to Steam? How many indy developers can they pick off from Steam? Especially since they’re saying that if you use the Unreal Engine, they won’t charge the 5% royalty fee. So all they’re giving up is 12%.
Steam currently takes 20-25% so there's a massive inventive to developers to jump on

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
There's too many launchers.

TOO MANY LAUNCHERS, STREAMING SERVICES, AND APPS. I DELETED ALL THAT shyt. IF I CAN'T PLAY YOUR fukk ASS GAME WITHOUT A LAUNCHER, I WON'T. THE ONLY EXCEPTION IS BLIZZARD BECAUSE YOU HARDLY NOTICE IT.

fukk EPIC, ORIGIN, EA, AND ALL OF THAT. PUT YOUR fukkING GAME ON STEAM AND QUIT BEING A bytch.

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
TOO MANY LAUNCHERS, STREAMING SERVICES, AND APPS. I DELETED ALL THAT shyt. IF I CAN'T PLAY YOUR fukk ASS GAME WITHOUT A LAUNCHER, I WON'T. THE ONLY EXCEPTION IS BLIZZARD BECAUSE YOU HARDLY NOTICE IT.

fukk EPIC, ORIGIN, EA, AND ALL OF THAT. PUT YOUR fukkING GAME ON STEAM AND QUIT BEING A bytch.

88% though. 88%