Enter this thread if you think Rap is better than its ever been

shazam

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's interesting. I think that a lot of the upswing in popularity is Hip-Hop becoming more respected outside of its original fanbase. If you think about, even 10 years ago it was mainstream fans and 'real' fans. Over the course of the decade, it's become much more accepted in non-mainstream, non-rap circles (if you want proof, just look at the amount of rap reviews on Pitchfork today compared to 10 years ago). It's 'okay' to like rap now, so the appeal is far more diverse.

For proof, just look at Spaceghostpurrp. His inspirations are obvious - early Triple 6 Mafia and other horrorcore/underground Memphis shyt. He's signed to 4AD, one of the largest and most respected indie rock labels. He falls somewhere in between the divide between mainstream artists and artists that only rap fans love.

I'm okay with the way Hip-Hop is going. There was a point around 2005-2006 when it seemed like every young rapper was going to be ruined before they really had a chance because their sound was immediately commercialized. I'd glad we've moved on from that.

RIPODB

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
East Side
I will say this: I can't remember a time when this many exciting "new" dudes were popping from all regions. TDE, K.R.I.T., A$AP Rocky, Gunplay, and so on and so forth.

Side note: I was excited for Boldy James, too. After the Consignment mixtape I stopped checking for him. And what's up with Fat Trel, Sir Michael Rocks, and Neighborhood Nip Hu$$le?