DYEL...........With Straps & Belts That Is?

Use Straps Or Belts?

• Total voters

Exiled Martian

Was young I couldn't do good, now I can't do Bad
Daps
Reppin
Swag-hili Shores
I love the feeling of being able to lift heavy amounts of weight with perfect form without the need of straps, or belts but as I was doing pendlay rows last night (I think my DL PR the other day aggravated this) I ended up tearing up my calluses in the left hand & that shyte hurts like a bytch, especially in the showers thereafter.:damn:

imagejpg1_zps4a7d043f.jpg

Lesson learnt....going to take extra precaution going forward ....sceptic about gloves though :patrice:

The premise for this thread is simple really, just want to throw up a Poll to see what the Coli consensus is on using Straps/Belts *insert any other lifting aid* for the likes of squats & deads etc.

& how heavy do you manzzz go before using belts/straps???

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I used Versa Grips for a while. They were good to help me develop overall strength since I haven't lifted long. I stopped using them to improve grip strength plus I'm more worried about moving the weight correctly than how heavy with is.

Last edited:

Exiled Martian

Daps
Reppin
Swag-hili Shores
I used Versa Grips for a while. They were good to help me develop overall strength since I haven't lifted long. I stopped using them to improve grip strength plus I'm more worried about moving the weight correctly than how heavy with is.

I wish I could cop me some VG's, I've read up alot on them & even seen YT videos. They look legit but whats fukked up is nobody in the UK sells them & if I was to look to order them from the US, that shyte would set me back heftily (fukking tax on duty and all that shyte). I've decided the next time I'm state side I'm going to get me some legit power lifting gear starting with Versa Gripps, Inzer Belt & either a Slingshot or Bench Daddy!

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I use a belt for squats. I used to do deadlifts, can't anymore.
I stopped using straps a long time ago. It was providing too much assistance to my grip.
I was never into gloves.
Never got into knee wraps, that's bad for your knees in the long run.
I'm not big into powerlifting so I don't wear a lifting suit or shirt.

GuChiMeng

East (Asian) Atlanta Santa
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Got chalk. Once you start pulling 315+ for reps it's difficult to do without it.

Also got an Inzer belt that I use sparingly (ie. PR days or 90% 1RM days).

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
Got chalk. Once you start pulling 315+ for reps it's difficult to do without it.

Agreed, chalk is like glue deads so much easier..

Infact my back day I use my liquid chalk most of the session.

Exiled Martian

Daps
Reppin
Swag-hili Shores
I got a 10mm Inzer belt I use for squats (once I get past 315 for reps), and I use Wrist wraps for push/pull stuff
Them Inzer belts are legit, top notch quality :obama: is yours single/double pronged or one of them new lever types?

d78dc61c-98b4-48d0-92fc-0d2eced802f6_zps2d046c3b.jpg

^^^ I'm currently rocking a RDX belt because INZER wanna charge me close to $300 dollars for the belt & there is like a 6-8 weeks waiting period....:camby:

I use straps occasionally but thats it

Im guessing when I cut down I will need a belt for lower body work... my spare tire is my belt :smugbiden:

Likewise I'm heavily dependent on straps when I'm doing ad hoc lifts like double paused DL's, Rack & Block pulls/, SLDL/RDL work etc.

Spare tire season is in full flow at the moment #HulkBulk :myman:

You doing it right breh, I save the belt, chalk & wraps intervention for the heavy working sets i.e.. whenever I'm going for a 1RM or a Reps PBR attempts.

I introduce aids strategically e.g on squats;
First comes the neoprene belt
Then I chuck in them Knee wraps
Then I swap out the flimsy material belt for a proper power lifting belt
By the time its Topset+ I end up looking Robocop in the rack with all the gear I'm flexing :pachaha:

Last edited:

Exiled Martian

Daps
Reppin
Swag-hili Shores
Im trying to wean myself off of straps tho. Cant compete with them and I would like to one day.

Fair play if you wanna compete someday fam, make it happen honestly I can't wait till I do my meet. No need to wean off them completely, still use them for when you trying to work on your posterior weaknesses. I never use wraps for my main working sets just the big Pulling accessory lifts all around the conventional lift.

e.g For me personally on heavy ass dead lifts my weak point tends to be where the bar has gotten to the knees ..the intermittent hitching towards lock out is what I'm trying to improve....the best remedy for this suggested was to do some heavy set paused work & some rack pulls to overload the lockout segment of the lift...so wraps really help out alot with isolating in the need to exert too much energy keeping the bar in my hands & basically focus more power & development towards the posterior.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Fair play if you wanna compete someday fam, make it happen honestly I can't wait till I do my meet. No need to wean off them completely, still use them for when you trying to work on your posterior weaknesses. I never use wraps for my main working sets just the big Pulling accessory lifts all around the conventional lift.

e.g For me personally on heavy ass dead lifts my weak point tends to be where the bar has gotten to the knees ..the intermittent hitching towards lock out is what I'm trying to improve....the best remedy for this suggested was to do some heavy set paused work & some rack pulls to overload the lockout segment of the lift...so wraps really help out alot with isolating in the need to exert too much energy keeping the bar in my hands & basically focus more power & development towards the posterior.
I got u

I have to go easy on deads.... my back gets sore if I dead with a curved spine or do high volume back stuff. I'm finding that working on my glutes and hams in isolation (i.e. no deadlifting outside of regular deads) has helped my deads out a lot as well as with general recovery. I need a fresh back to dead effectively

I feel u on not wanting to spend extra energy. It would be cool to be able to pull 315+ double overhand with no help tho

Exiled Martian

Daps
Reppin
Swag-hili Shores
I got u

I have to go easy on deads.... my back gets sore if I dead with a curved spine or do high volume back stuff. I'm finding that working on my glutes and hams in isolation (i.e. no deadlifting outside of regular deads) has helped my deads out a lot as well as with general recovery. I need a fresh back to dead effectively

I feel u on not wanting to spend extra energy. It would be cool to be able to pull 315+ double overhand with no help tho

True dat fam, Deadlifts are taxxing as heck... shows no ounce of mercy to the CNS/Joints. That is why most programs will advocate doing them just once a week.
Sore lower backs are given when pulling big weight.....hats off to anyone who does high volume deads or the likes of that, I stopped doing them time ago....brutal:damn:

You ever been in a fukked up predicament where you just walked out of the gym feeling yourself because of all the work you put in:win:... & you get to your car pull out your phone only to be greeted by a 'Hey what you on? I've got a free yard tonight come around :shaq: ' text message.....The struggle strokes were REAL that day......bish aint holla'd at me since :mjcry:

DAT DOH Grip Strength :datazz:...someday bruv we gona be flexing DOH on them big boy 405 pulls :banderas: