Dutch Company ASML ..How Did We Allow This To Happen??

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I find it more amazing that China hasnt already hacked them and stole their designs. Same for TSMC too.

It's kinda silly that folks think they can hide a publicly known device from an industrial superpower in 2024. In the pre Internet era, they couldn't even keep the nuclear bomb a secret in the 50s, before half a dozen countries had their own copies.

Jimmy from Linkedin

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Managing Director at Breh & Breh, Inc
vertical integration is a thing of the past. There is no shareholder benefit to investing into R&D. Much better to outsource it to somewhere else. This is the story of Apple releasing its obligation to the east to build its chips, this created TSMC.

Despite how important it is, the semiconductor and chips manufacturing field pays like ass, is extremely difficult work and does not translate well to other fields. Most of the people in this country who could've done so instead became 6certs.

This is what I've learned reading about this on HN straight from those SV nerds.

TELL ME YA CHEESIN FAM?

I walk around a little edgy already
Daps
Reppin
The H
I find it more amazing that China hasnt already hacked them and stole their designs. Same for TSMC too.

It's kinda silly that folks think they can hide a publicly known device from an industrial superpower in 2024. In the pre Internet era, they couldn't even keep the nuclear bomb a secret in the 50s, before half a dozen countries had their own copies.
I'm sure China is trying their best to jack their designs

Some of their lithography machines contain parts made in US
So when the US sanctions China..the Dutch do the same
Nasty work

:pachaha:

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé

Even if China had all the blueprints and were allowed to purchase all the pieces necessary to produce euv lithography machines. It would still take them over a decade to produce the current cutting edge chips we have today. These are probably the most advanced machines we’ve ever built and it took expertise from all over the world at the top of their field working together to make them.

mykey

Superstar
Daps
Even if China had all the blueprints and were allowed to purchase all the pieces necessary to produce euv lithography machines. It would still take them over a decade to produce the current cutting edge chips we have today. These are probably the most advanced machines we’ve ever built and it took expertise from all over the world at the top of their field working together to make them.
China's Kirin 9000S 7nm is only four years behind the most advanced chips today.

Windows 91

Unreleased Operating System
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
C:\
Nikon manufactures lithography scanners as well. I don't believe they have an EUV offering though.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
China's Kirin 9000S 7nm is only four years behind the most advanced chips today.

It's a bit more nuanced than this. They used duv vs the current cutting edge chips which uses euv... trying to use duv to get to smaller nodes doesn't scale.. it's just too expensive wafer wise..
According to ASML, the Dutch lithography machine manufacturer, it takes 34 lithography steps to achieve 7 nm on DUV machinery, compared to just nine steps with EUV. The additional production steps result in higher production costs and lower yields.

With each additional step, more chips would be thrown away, and equipment costs go up, says Brady Wang, a semiconductor analyst at Counterpoint. More components and materials are also consumed. But what began as a budgetary expedient became a necessity after EUV equipment that SMIC had ordered from ASML in 2019 was blocked, according to three people familiar with the situation.

SMIC managed to scrape together equipment from existing plants and those received before Washington’s sanctions to keep the 7 nm production line going, say two sources close to SMIC’s suppliers.

But this still left it without the additional support that ASML typically provides for customers of the highly complex machines. “The condition is harsh,” says one chip company executive close to SMIC. “Basically, no software updates and no equipment factory engineers to carry out maintenance services.”

US officials were surprised SMIC was able to acquire the spare parts and technical services needed to keep its 7 nm production facility operational even after the export controls, says Allen.

We also forced people in the field in the field in China with us citizenship to choose between their job or their citizenship.

TELL ME YA CHEESIN FAM?

I walk around a little edgy already
Daps
Reppin
The H

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
this is basically where the tip of the spear is; people are currently in a cold war over this form of tech...

Did you know melanin is the most powerful semiconductor on the planet:respect:?