During the Nas/Jay beef, what were Hov stans thinking??

snikt6384

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was in senior year in High School at the time and was a Nas fan...but a Jay STAN. To this day even if i've calmed down on him being the GOAT, he's still my favorite having lived through his peak as a Stan, living in Brooklyn.

Living through Ether was fukked up lol. I think Hov stans sounded a lot like Drake stans do now. Many were unwilling to take the L for awhile. Nas really was down and out to MANY people. Stillmatic freestyle dropped first and I remember laughing that shyt off in the school cafeteria. fukk outta here, this is wack to me lol.

The perception was that Takeover was just gonna wash him and while folks were waiting on the response there was no indication that Nas was do anything of real significance. Jay felt invincible.

I didn't think it was over until Hov came on Hot 97 in the infamous interview where he sounded defeated. And the live poll results being read on the station saying the public chose Ether. Superugly was quick and vulgar and the allegations were crazy, but as we all know that wasn't it.

When Jay pretty much SAID that wasn't it, said his MOM took issue with it, and he sounded bothered? It was over. So much of Jay's appeal and mystique was how nonchalant and confident he almost always sounds. I've always thought if Jay churned out a song that took the best from Superugly and Blueprint 2 with none of the sounding humiliated, it would have been a fight.

lol it wounded my soul but i'll tell you, it was a hell of a time to be alive and a very welcome distraction from the aftermath of 9/11

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Jay fans sounded like Drake's fans. The denial actually carried on for several etherday memorials. hence why the the Nas vs Jay talk still gets folks riled up TODAY. I imagine Drake stans are going to be haunted for a while in the same fashion. living with denial. I don't think Drake is finished but he is tarnished and Kenny stood tall.