Don’t Be Like That: Does black culture need to be reformed?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is what has to be answered before stuffed-shirt magazines and alleged institutions of "higher-learning"
start writing anthologies about what's wrong with it...

We are a manufactured people at the moment... We are still in the process of defining our culture as African Americans

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
We are a manufactured people at the moment... We are still in the process of defining our culture as African Americans

...which is all the more reason we don't need fakkits at The New Yorker and Harvard trying to pigeonhole who we are.
We can't even encompass all the stuff we are, how can they? Especially to the point where they are comfortable enough
to say we might need to "reform" what they don't know we are yet.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Sort of, but probably not in the way you're thinking of.

The real problem is that way too many black youth (especially boys) aspire to be entertainers/athletes instead of more realistic careers. There just aren't close to enough athlete/entertainer spots for all the black kids wanting to be that. So what happens is these kids don't have a backup plan and either get caught up in the system or stuck working some low wage job.

I'm not even trying to sound like a hater but the sheer number of aspiring rappers is just :beli: .

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Sort of, but probably not in the way you're thinking of.

The real problem is that way too many black youth (especially boys) aspire to be entertainers/athletes instead of more realistic careers. There just aren't close to enough athlete/entertainer spots for all the black kids wanting to be that. So what happens is these kids don't have a backup plan and either get caught up in the system or stuck working some low wage job.

I'm not even trying to sound like a hater but the sheer number of aspiring rappers is just :beli: .

Youth turn to media because you do not have parents telling their kids who they actually are and what they come from. You tend to have 2 situations where you have parents who simply do not instill knowledge of self to their children or parents who have not built/accomplished anything yet want to lecture kids on what they should be doing and the kids look at them like :mjlol: "why would I listen to you when because of you we are struggling".

We have non blacks dictating what it is to be black thus you have children who cannot distinguish between what is real and what isn't.

End Cruelty

Yuffie butter!
Daps
Reppin
Gaia
Black culture is whatever most black people are doing. I would say we don't need a whole reform but we do need to keep examining health, economics, and education. I think black folks are very reactionary these days but a revolutionary culture is regenerating.