Donnie Darko...classic or not?

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I liked it but haven't watched it since back then. So my opinion could change.

Fred.

infamousred

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
id call it classic but that's based off of only one viewing...plus it was the directors cut.

ZEB WALTON

ayo! - BEZ
Daps
Reppin
No Father To MY Style.. A Son Unique
cult

but a very good movie with a cool feel. from music to the "dream"-esque feel you refer to is very very dope.

mad worlds my jam

creepy movie. however.. with that said.. movies like this, the matrix, fear and loathin in las vegas, etc... high school hype made everyone an expert on "are we livin in reality bro"/wannabe doc browns with their dads delorean.

shyt was fukkin unbearable so i stayed away but what i found was shockingly pretty deep n well done.

B+ flick with A+ themes. cult classic.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Only goat list this movie belongs on is "most overrated of all time" I don't know where all the hype even came from.

Contrefaire

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
West Coast
I haven't seen since I was 17 but I feel like its a movie that really connects with 14-20 year olds

I saw it when I was about 17 and LOVED IT. Gave it an easy 9/10. When I watched it again in my early 20s I thought it was pretty "meh". I think Donnie Darko and the Virgin Suicides (plus a few others) really speak to a specific age group like you said, but that's about it. Some movies are great for the angsty teen set, but really lose their appeal/meaning once you exit adolescence. That's actually a big part of the reason why I don't bother rewatching many "classic" movies I loved at a certain age. After essentially ruining my enjoyment of films I connected with when I was younger I stopped rewatching things.

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Everybody talks about how its so good and the soundtrack etc....but cant explain whats it really about though? :hubie:

Crevard113

Rookie
Daps
The soundtrack, for the 80's indie rock songs, that's not bad but it's corny.
The ambiant songs are good tho. That's what I use when I want to remember the movie.

The appreciation of the movie is like all teenagers cult classic (Breakfast club, Dazed & Confused, Kevin Smith, Superbad,...). The movies aren't so good but they had some good qualities and a personal or coherent universe that speak deeply to a certain demographic/timelapse.

For qualities, Donnie Darko got acting, some humoristic dialogues and ambition in the script and camera use.

It's overrated in the sense of pure quality but the fact that these flicks got more love than better movies means something that can leads them to classic.
Donnie Darko is a little bit too corny and sometimes boring to be in the list tho.

mrken12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
Accolades
2005: Donnie Darko ranked in the top five on My Favourite Film, an Australian poll conducted by the ABC.
2006: Donnie Darko ranks #9 in FilmFour's 50 Films to See Before You Die.

Other awards
#14 on Entertainment Weekly's list of the 50 Best High School Movies.
#2 in Empire's "50 Greatest Independent Films of All Time" list.
#53 in Empire's 500 Greatest Movies of All Time 2008 poll.

That movie didn't deserve to be ranked so greatly on all those lists. :dwillhuh: #9 on Films to See Before You Die? :skip: It was an OK movie with some cool elements and concepts.

Last edited:

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I loved it when it first came out but I rewatched it a couple of years ago and I dunno.....I was less impressed. When I was younger I thought it was a little more intelligent than it really was.

basically!