Donnie Darko...classic or not?

Dr.HannibalLecter

Tha Realest
Daps
So I rewatched it after playing Life Is Strange and I'd say it might be the second best movie of 2001 (after Mulholland Drive).

It's effortless filmmaking with a great, dream-like atmosphere. A very promising, clever debut before Southland Tales and The Box ruined Richard Kelly's career...

Theatrical version > Director's Cut btw, though the best version would be a mix of both

What do you think?

Last edited:

Jx2

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cult classic, yes for sure. People that say it's overrated more than likely have no idea what's going on and assume the movie is basura because they haven't fully wrapped their head around what's going down :yeshrug:

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"This is some good shyt"- kid smoking a cigarette

:russ:

I like it. I'm not sure a movie has to come from an untouchable auteur like PTA or Kubrick to be considered anything but "smart dumb"

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's one of my favorite films.

I didn't like it because it tried to be deep, I liked it because of it's incredible atmosphere. Very surreal, very dreamy, supported by a great soundtrack. Watching it was a interesting experience for me and I don't think I've watched a film since that has managed to captivate me in the way that it did.