DONALD TRUMP SELLS OUT TO TRICKLE-DOWN ECONOMICS

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
By John Cassidy
AUGUST 8, 2016
From the beginning of Donald Trump’s campaign, there has been a nagging inconsistency in his approach to economic issues. On trade and immigration, he has broken with Republican dogma, arguing that the influx from abroad of cheap goods and low-wage workers has undermined the job prospects and living standards of ordinary Americans. On tax policy, however, Trump has stuck to the standard G.O.P. script, promising a slew of tax cuts skewed toward businesses and the rich. To be sure, until Monday, Trump hadn’t talked much about his tax plan, but the broad outlines of it were there on his Web site, serving as a reminder of the limits of his populism.

Trump
rolled out his original tax plan last September, after his Republican-primary opponents accused him of lacking policy specifics. I thought at the time that adopting trickle-down economics represented a strategic error for a candidate who was promoting himself as a new type of Republican. Instead of saying he’d slash business taxes and bring the top rate of income tax down to twenty-five per cent, Trump could have promised tax cuts and tax credits targeted specifically at middle-class Americans, citing the fact that wealthy Americans were doing fine and didn’t need another handout. For instance, he could have suggested raising the upper-income cut-off on Social Security contributions and using the cash this generated to pay for higher benefits for everybody. Or he could have eschewed tax cuts aimed at the wealthy in favor of expanding the Earned Income Tax Credit, which boosts the take-home pay of low-income working families.

It’s true that without any offsetting cuts in spending, such a tax plan would have raised the hackles of deficit hawks—but the plan he did introduce raised those hackles anyway. A plan aimed at the middle class, however, could have complemented Trump’s populist line on immigration and trade, wrong-footed the Democrats, and allowed him to claim he had a three-pronged approach to raising wages and living standards. In short, it would have made him a much more formidable candidate.

The problem was that moving in that direction would have signalled that Trump was a genuine populist insurrectionary, rather than a cosseted billionaire who plays one on television. Through the years, Trump has, at various times, advocated genuinely populist policies, such as raising the minimum wage and taxing wealth more highly. But he has also flirted with highly regressive policies favored by Republican élites, such as slashing the corporate tax rate, reducing the top rate of income tax, and getting rid of the federal estate tax, which affects only the wealthiest American families.

In the speech that Trump delivered at the Detroit Economic Club on Monday, all three of these giveaways to the rich featured prominently, as did deregulation—another issue that is of interest primarily to the donor class. “My campaign is about reaching out to everyone as Americans,” Trump said. But the details of his speech confirmed that he had caved in to the regressive, anti-tax G.O.P. orthodoxy that is defined and policed by groups such as Grover Norquist’s Americans for Tax Reform, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and the Club for Growth.

Consequently, the contradictions attending Trump’s economic platform are more glaring than ever. He goes into the last months of the election campaign as a political schizophrenic. On immigration and trade, he is a pitchfork-wielding Pat Buchanan Republican; on taxes and regulation, he is a dark-suited Paul Ryan Republican. Perhaps the old saying is right and consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. Purely from a political perspective, though, it seems to me that Trump has missed a big opportunity.

As he delivered his speech in Detroit, the tensions between the populist Trump and the trickle-down Trump were quickly evident. For the first half an hour or so, he barely mentioned trade, one of his signature economic issues. Instead, he talked about his revised tax plan, which is very similar to the one Ryan has proposed, the latest version of which was released in June. Last September, Trump said he would replace the current income-tax system, which has seven brackets, to one with three: ten per cent, twenty per cent, and twenty five per cent. Now Trump has brought the three rates up to match those in Ryan’s plan: twelve per cent, twenty-five per cent, and thirty-three per cent.

The proposal to eliminate the estate tax, which the Bush Administration suspended for ten years, also mimics Ryan’s plan, as does the call to slash the corporate tax rate, which currently stands at thirty-five per cent. In this instance, though, Trump outdid the House Speaker is his largesse toward the business class. Ryan would cut the corporate tax rate to twenty per cent; Trump to fifteen per cent. About the only residue of populism related to taxes in Trump’s presentation on Monday was a reiteration of his pledge to eliminate the notorious carried-interest deduction, which allows managers of hedge funds and private-equity firms to pay lower tax rates than the rest of us. But that very necessary proposal to prune the tax code bears inspection. As a stand-alone measure, it would substantially increase the tax liabilities of hedgies and private-equity tyc00ns. But many of these economic fortunates could still end up paying less over all to the I.R.S. because of the reduction in the top rate of income tax that Trump is proposing.

A recent analysis of Ryan’s proposals, from the nonpartisan Tax Foundation, showed that households in the middle of the income distribution would see their after-tax incomes rise by 0.2 per cent. Households in the top one per cent of the distribution, where Trump and many of his economic advisers reside, would see their after-tax incomes go up 5.3 per cent.

Even Trump’s one new gesture toward low- and middle-income families, a proposal that families be allowed to deduct the cost of child care from their taxes, wasn’t quite what it seemed. For one thing, many poor families don’t pay much federal income tax: social security is their main burden. Secondly, the fact that it would be a tax deduction rather than a tax credit means that wealthy families would get a much bigger break. “Making child care fully tax deductible is just about the worst possible way to help subsidize the cost of child care,” Michael Lindon, a budget expert who used to work on Capitol Hill, noted on Twitter.

When Trump had finished talking about taxes, he moved on to regulation. Here, too, his remarks were straight out of the standard G.O.P. playbook. He bemoaned the length of the federal register and accused the Obama Administration of issuing more than two thousand new regulations last year alone—“each a hidden tax on American consumers, and a massive lead weight on the American economy.” Trump promised a temporary moratorium on new regulations, and he also said, “I will ask each and every federal agency to prepare a list of all of the regulations they impose on Americans which are not necessary.”

If Trump’s supporters in nearby Macomb County, which is famous for its Reagan Democrats, were enthused by this part of the speech, which Democrats immediately portrayed as a promise to torch Wall Street regulation, I’d be surprised. It’s the sort of donor-friendly guff that many of Trump’s opponents in the Republican Primary trotted out, to little avail. What made Trump attractive to many Republican voters was his eagerness to move away from the standard narrative about blaming big government and high taxes for everything, and his stated willingness to challenge the vested interests that had dominated the Party for so long.

Eventually, Trump did get onto trade, and it was here that he spoke with the most passion, detailing the decline in manufacturing jobs in Michigan and other states, denouncing the proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership, and reiterating his threat to slap tariffs on countries that subsidize cheap exports to the United States. Picking up on a statement by a longtime ally of Clinton, Terry McAuliffe, who said recently that she would reverse course and support the T.P.P. once she got elected, Trump said: “Hillary Clinton as Hillary Clinton will never withdraw from the T.P.P. She is bought, controlled and paid for by her donors and special interests.”

Accurate or not, this is an effective attack line that Trump uses all the time. But couldn’t the same now be said of him? During the primaries, his claim that he was beholden to no one was one of his biggest assets. Since he got the nomination, however, it has become very clear that he’s far from an independent operator. Unable or reluctant to finance and organize his own Presidential campaign, he has been forced to come to terms with the G.O.P. establishment, the wealthy interests that finance it, and the anti-government, anti-tax economic philosophy that rationalizes its existence.

Last month, in Trump’s address at the Republican Convention, we saw hints of where this reconciliation was heading. The Detroit Economic Club was the final destination, and it marks the resting place of Donald Trump the economic populist.

Donald Trump Sells Out To Trickle-Down Economics - The New Yorker

ezrathegreat

Veteran
Daps
:krs:So your telling me that a billionaire elitist who is running for president and is supposed to be the everyday man's economic saviour is interested in cutting taxes for the wealthiest Americans and trickle down economics. :rudy: Stevie Wonder could have seen this coming.

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Trump supporters don't care about policy. He could be populist or a neo-liberal, isolationist or interventionist and they would still support him as long as he continued to feed their hatred of immigrants and Muslims.

The real motivation of a good number of his supporters is hatred.

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps
@King Kreole told us trickle down economics works though! So this is fantastic!
I'm not claiming to be an expert on this subject, I was just asking where the economic disaster was if Reaganomics was this horrible policy? People talk about Reaganomics like it was the worst thing to ever hit the American economy, but the economies of the 80s, 90s and most of the 2000s was booming. The financial crisis/recession was in large part due to the excessive under-regulation of the financial industry, such as repealing Glass-Steagall, which was done under Clinton and which Trump wants to bring back. If we're talking growing wealth inequality, my argument has been that it was because the gains of Reaganomics weren't being properly distributed through investments in infrastructure, education, and lower income communities. I personally think that's the work the Democrats should have been doing in the 90s, but Bill Clinton just accelerated the beast by slashing welfare and opening up economic borders. Trump, with his proposals to do such social investments and close economic borders, is trying to correct that path. My main concern with Trump on this issue is the deficit. He's going to have to cut spending "bigly" to make up for that short term revenue loss, so I hope he continues to advocate for doing what Reagan couldn't/wouldn't do, and that's reducing the bloated military budget. That's the biggest albatross in the American budget.

I'm very open to having my mind changed on this issue. As I said before, I'm not claiming to be an expert, just trying to understand the narrative. I'm not an objectivist or anarcho-capitalist, I believe in regulations and progressive taxation rates. If the banks and other powerful industries are under-regulated to the point of posing a threat to the stability and health of the national economy, then they should be increasingly regulated. If the top marginal taxation rate is below optimal levels on the Laffer curve, then increase that tax rate. I think of capitalism like a powerful stallion that when harnessed can produce incredible prosperity, but when unharnessed and unbroken will violently buck the rider off.

King Kreole

Daps
@King Kreole step into my office boy i got ass whoopin ready for you

Hilary is the bigger neoliberal than Trump right? Trump isnt one at all? Im gonna beat that ass
1. Neoliberalism and Reaganomics/trickle down economics are two distinct phenomenas. The former relies on the latter, but it's possible to have the latter without the former, which is what Trump's plan is trying to do. A crucial component of neoliberalism is globalization based free-trade policies. The tariffs and protectionist policies Trump is proposing are anathema to neoliberal philosophy because they stymie the international flow of capital.

2. Trump obviously got the screws put to him by establishment Republicans in that meeting they had after his implosion last week. He's at fault for that because his stupid and reckless performance last week put him in a position where he needs their support.

3. Of course Hillary is still the bigger neoliberal, she's not proposing anything contrary to neoliberal philosophy. Trump is trying to dead TPP, she's trying to get it passed under another name.

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Reaganomics_-001.jpg

Broke Wave

The GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Open Society Foundation
1. Neoliberalism and Reaganomics/trickle down economics are two distinct phenomenas. The former relies on the latter, but it's possible to have the latter without the former, which is what Trump's plan is trying to do. A crucial component of neoliberalism is globalization based free-trade policies. The tariffs and protectionist policies Trump is proposing are anathema to neoliberal philosophy because they stymie the international flow of capital.

2. Trump obviously got the screws put to him by establishment Republicans in that meeting they had after his implosion last week. He's at fault for that because his stupid and reckless performance last week put him in a position where he needs their support.

3. Of course Hillary is still the bigger neoliberal, she's not proposing anything contrary to neoliberal philosophy. Trump is trying to dead TPP, she's trying to get it passed under another name.

HAHAHAHAHA

Hell no

What tarriffs did he propose you fukking liar. I just posted his economic platform and aside from deregulation and tax cuts, nothing was specific and relied on platitudes.

You are a man without a leg to stand on breh, he will never release statistical proof for your claims. He is giving us two thirds of he neoliberal pie and keeping one third of it a secret. His opposition to NAFTA and other trade deals are simply that he could have negotiated better ones, and not specifically about protectionism.

King Kreole

Daps
HAHAHAHAHA

Hell no

What tarriffs did he propose you fukking liar. I just posted his economic platform and aside from deregulation and tax cuts, nothing was specific and relied on platitudes.

You are a man without a leg to stand on breh, he will never release statistical proof for your claims. He is giving us two thirds of he neoliberal pie and keeping one third of it a secret. His opposition to NAFTA and other trade deals are simply that he could have negotiated better ones, and not specifically about protectionism.
First it was "Trump's tariffs are dangerous and dumb, they'll only hurt the American consumer!" and now it's "What tariffs, I didn't hear anything about tariffs!" Can y'all pick a script and stick to it?

"The United States also has the highest business tax rate among the major industrialized nations of the world, at 35 percent. It’s almost 40 percent when you add in taxes at the state level.

In other words, we punish companies for making products in America – but let them ship products into the U.S. tax-free if they move overseas.

This is backwards. All of our policies should be geared towards keeping jobs and wealth inside the United States."
:jbhmm: and what's the definition of a tariff? A tax imposed on imported goods and services.

Because my only interest is the American people, I have previously laid out a detailed 7-point plan for trade reform, available on my website. It includes strong protections against currency manipulation, tariffs against any countries that cheat by unfairly subsidizing their goods, and it includes a renegotiation of NAFTA. If we don’t get a better deal, we will walk away.
Oh ok so you just didn't watch the speech at all, cool.

Listen, I know you really want this to be the silver bullet, but you're going to have to try a little harder. Be patient. When Trump comes out in favour of free-trade agreements, amnesty for illegal immigrants and further globalization of the American labor force, then we can dance. Until then, stay cool baby.