Don Cheadle Only Had Two Hours to Decide If He Wanted to Join Marvel and Sign a Six-Movie Contract: ‘I Was at My Kid’s Birthday Party’

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think it's because in the black community, he damn near seemed like a leading man growing up watching his movies. Leading man may be extreme, but he had some really good roles in the 90s where he played a prominent part.

However, it's apparent that whites just don't view him that way. They just view him as another expendable black actor.

Actually in the 90's I didnt see him as a leading man. The 2000's and 2010's did that for me. Movies like Hotel Rawanda,Talk To Me,Miles Davis biopic.

White City Black

Ol’ Basquiat head ass
Daps
Reppin
Chicago's South Shore
Your right,I am reaching. Im talking like they need top of the line actors in this shyt. Next person on the list was probably Fredro Star:mjlol:
Marvel: “Listen, Fredro. We know your range. Strapped is a classic. We’re offering you this and giving you an hour to decide…”

Fredro Starr: “An hour?!? I don’t need that, boss. I’m ready now, let’s get it!”

:Hangs up the phone, puts on “Onyx’s “Slam” on the record player a la Principal Skinner playing Kool & The Gang’s “Celebration,” and leans back in chair with locs on:

Daps
I think it's because in the black community, he damn near seemed like a leading man growing up watching his movies. Leading man may be extreme, but he had some really good roles in the 90s where he played a prominent part.

However, it's apparent that whites just don't view him that way. They just view him as another expendable black actor.

Agreed. Ironically enough, for me it was his performance in The Goat Earl Manigault TV movie that made me see him as a great actor. (And how many white folks realistically watched that?) After that, he became one of my favorite actors for a minute.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Agreed. Ironically enough, for me it was his performance in The Goat Earl Manigault TV movie that made me see him as a great actor. (And how many white folks realistically watched that?) After that, he became one of my favorite actors for a minute.

granted he’d already been acting for quite a while but for me his role in “devil in a blue dress” put him on my radar as great actor to look out for

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
wonder who the “next person” was

Hmm....well Cheadle got cast in 2008 so with that in mind...

Black actor in the 32-45 age range like Howard and Cheadle
Were active in the mid 2000s
Would have taken a salary less than $1m (so no Jamie Foxx or Will Smith)

I would bet that most if not all of these actors would have auditioned for the role and been on the short list.

Donald Faison
Staring in Scrubs around that time
19178672-7527025-Surprise_Speaking_to_Justin_Long_on_the_Life_is_Short_podcast_on-a-15_1569973659187.jpg

Michael Ealy
Cast in Miracle at St. Anna, Seven Pounds, and 2 Fast 2 Furious around that time
Michael-Ealy-Hot-Pictures.jpg

Harold Perrineau
Cast in Matrix Reloaded and Lost around that time
harold-perrineau-the-best-man-holiday-nyc-screening.jpg

Tyreese
Cast in Four Brothers and Transformers around that time
tyrese-gibson-23042144.jpg

Laz Alonso
Cast in Jarhead, Miracle at St Anna, and Fast & Furious around that time
mgid:arc:imageassetref:bet.com:bd5e1f81-48e3-11e7-a442-0e40cf2fc285

Anthony Mackie
Cast in Million Dollar Baby and The Hurt Locker around that time
Anthony-Mackie-Hottest-Pictures.jpg

Djimon Hounsou
Cast in Blood Diamond around that time
Blood+Diamond+LA+Premiere+A-Dl31myROhx.jpg

Last edited:

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Actually in the 90's I didnt see him as a leading man. The 2000's and 2010's did that for me. Movies like Hotel Rawanda,Talk To Me,Miles Davis biopic.

That’s why I caught myself and said damn near.

I believe the main thing here is that I understand @Still Benefited perspective. One would think based on his resume prior to Iron Man 2, that would garner enough respect to allow the man to have more time to make a decision. He is one of the highest quality actors out there. However, it’s just a reminder that they don’t rate black actors like that.

Also, because Iron Man was so successful and people enjoyed Downey’s performance, Marvel may have not felt the need to court a talent like Cheadle. They may have been content getting whoever. Howard had the highest salary on the first iron man. Based on his past interviews, Marvel’s initial intentions were to give war machine a franchise. However, because iron man did so well, that was scrapped.