Does anyone have an account for theathletic.com

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Behind the thinking: GM Koby Altman on the Cavs' wild day

It turns out the Cavs actually had been every bit the disjointed, dysfunctional, disappointing mess they appeared to be during the past several weeks. And maybe even worse.

Thursday night, Cavs general manager Koby Altman admitted as much in a conference call regarding the whirlwind trade deadline day. The Cavs shipped out six players, added four others and go forward as a different team.

Necessarily different.

“We were marching towards a slow death,” Altman said. “We didn't want to be a part of that.”

The moves, including dumping Isaiah Thomas and Dwyane Wade and parting with the Cavs' own 2018 first-round pick while keeping the one that belongs to the Nets, have been outlined in prior stories, particularly here and here. Below, we peek a little further into five things Altman addressed Thursday evening, after all three trades had been made official. ‌‌‌

1. “It's obvious the goal was to get younger.”
Old and angry is for folks on Twitter, not an NBA team. And the Cavs were not only too old but apparently too sour to sort things through on their own. So, Altman and team owner Dan Gilbert brought the proverbial dynamite.

“We saw the lack of energy and enthusiasm,” Altman said.

Later, he said, “We were worried about what was going on when we were on the floor, and sort of our culture in the building.” It wasn't just that the Cavs had pretty much stunk lately. It's that the stink was lingering, festering, growing.

“We're just going to be fun again,” Altman said. “Fun to watch and fun to be around.”

2. LeBron hovers. LeBron matters.
Everyone knows that free agency beckons, and that the world's greatest player isn't getting any younger, and that neither his body language nor his play has been stellar. But the Cavs need LeBron James, want James for the long haul and clearly believe that, regardless of his level of input, he's on board with this in-season reconstruction.

“We think we're going to get a rejuvenated LeBron,” Altman said. “And that's the key.

“I think he's excited and that there's a renewed sense of excitement and joy when he's in the building. That will translate to some fun basketball because he's the key. He's the guy that's going to take us back to the Promised Land, so you want to put the right pieces around him.”

Altman said he believes the Cavs are more talented than they were 24 hours prior, and though he acknowledged not knowing how the players will jell or how things will turn out, he's optimistic the Cavs made significant upgrades.

“We're a lot more athletic and we're just excited about where it can go,” Altman said.

3. The Isaiah Thomas thing just wasn't going to work.
Again, it was obvious if you've been watching. And Thomas was in a bad spot while rehabbing from injury, adapting to a new role and new city, trying to get his shots up and get his rhythm back while getting absolutely smoked by just about every guy he was guarding. But whatever was going on behind the scenes was apparently just as bad.

“(Trading Thomas) is not something I wanted to do,” Altman said. “Selfishly, I wanted to see it work. The level of value we got back in the Kyrie Irving trade was pretty good. Did it fit? Did it work? Probably not. So with those pieces, we just tried to shuffle the deck and get younger and get some youthful talent with energy and enthusiasm … great cultural pieces.”

He kept using words like “fit” and “culture.” He didn't have to say Thomas' name directly.

“I feel much better about us culturally,” Altman said. “I feel much better about the air in the building. That sort of stuff you can't quantify, but I do know that it matters. It's a big deal to me.”

4. Not just younger, but better. Hopefully, anyway.
Rodney Hood was averaging nearly 17 points per game for the Jazz. Jordan Clarkson made shots and handled the ball for the Lakers, generally as the sixth man. George Hill can make shots and has played in big games. There will be immediate minutes for Larry Nance Jr., who at 25 is the same age as Clarkson and Hood. Maybe the Cavs can make these pieces work now and into the future.

Joy and culture are nice. Making shots and playing much-improved defense would be nicer. Altman seemed especially excited about Hood, calling him “a dynamic talent. He's a 6-foot-8 two guard, and that's just not normal. He's a lefty, so he's unorthodox. He's hard to guard. He can move his feet, can defend.

“We found out a kid with that much talent was on the market, and we wanted to explore it.”

Also, Altman noted that the decision to move Wade was partly based upon the fact rookie Cedi Osman has earned more minutes and could end up earning a permanent spot in the rotation.

5. Nance. That name sounds familiar.
His dad was a Cavs legend whose jersey is retired. He played high school basketball just down the highway from where the Cavs train. He gets to play for a winner — ideally, anyway — and play in front of family and friends.

“The kid was borderline in tears when I called him,” Altman said.

Nance Jr. will be an instant fan favorite. If he delivers a few highlight-reel dunks and a few 12-rebound nights, the city will go wild. Folks are excited about the Cavs again. And by all accounts, that includes those inside the building.

ryderldb

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wow that’s more expensive then i thought it would
It’s really not if you’re in their market. 4-5 dollars for exclusive content every day. It’s better than a SI or ESPN subscription cuz they have new articles everyday about teams in your market and at least in the Bay Area they get some pretty exclusive interviews sometimes.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Fox's film room: Minkah Fitzpatrick is a no-doubt NFL star-in-waiting

Minkah Fitzpatrick is a player many believe is the most NFL-ready defensive back in the past decade. He was a three-year starter for Alabama at nearly every position in the secondary. It is rare for a player to start as a freshman and then continue that for three consecutive seasons but what is amazing is that he switched positions nearly every year and continued to be arguably the best player on defense.

The reasons scouts are drooling over Fitzpatrick are not only his versatility as a player, but also his intelligence of the game. And his leadership qualities are second to none. He is one of the hardest workers around, and his coach, Nick Saban, who is a defensive backs coach by trade, said, “Minkah does it as well as anybody I’ve ever coached, in terms of how he works every day, how he finishes plays, his conditioning level, just phenomenal.”

High praise coming from one of the greatest college football coaches in history. The Browns secondary clearly needs some help right now, and most important, they need a free safety. ‌‌‌

Open-field tackling
In this clip, you will see Fitzpatrick is playing in the box as a buzz safety. He drops into his zone-coverage responsibility before recognizing Washington was setting up a screen to the running back.

What’s so great about this play is his instincts. He is driving on the football before the running back even turns upfield. Making plays in space is one of the most difficult things for any defensive player. Fitzpatrick has proved to be excellent at this during his time at Alabama.

Physicality
Fitzpatrick is lined up at the top of your screen here as a cornerback. Arkansas is trying to set up a bubble screen to the slot receiver. Again, we are talking about having great instincts to recognize what is happening in front of you.

Football is all about being physical with your hands at the point of attack while also maintaining leverage. Watch how he comes up and attacks the wide receiver who is attempting to stalk block. Fitzpatrick just takes it to him while forcing the football to stay inside to allow help to flow. I love everything about this play.

Baiting the QB
This is not something you want to do all the time, but when the opportunity presents itself, the great defensive backs take advantage of this. This next play shows Fitzpatrick in man coverage in the slot. Because of his film study (he talked about it after the game), he was aware of the route that was coming and was able to read the quarterback’s eyes as he was rolling outside the pocket.

He knew they were just trying to run a rub route to get the wide receiver open. After you watch the clip, I’ve attached a tweet that shows a pretty detailed explanation of what he saw and diagnosed on the play.

FullSizeRender1-1024x968.jpg

Relentless motor
I gave a little teaser of this play earlier in the week on Twitter.

It might be one of my favorite plays he made during my film study. You can see Fitzpatrick is in the box as a blitzing linebacker here. He is a little bit late on the blitz because he is communicating with his teammates, but he never gives up on this play. Somehow he chases down this running back from the back side when he was blitzing from the opposite side. Just amazing effort here by him.

Hips
Hips are probably the most important part of being a high-level defensive back. Being able to sink them, change direction and drive with speed is very important and something scouts look for. I’ve included this play because it shows an example of his athleticism. He is the corner at the top of the screen. You can see him bail out pre-snap.

It appears they are playing three-deep coverage because you can see his eyes are going through his progression while looking at the quarterback and feeling the wide receiver at the same time. Watch how Fitzpatrick drops his hips almost simultaneously as the receiver and then does a speed turn on a tight angle that allows him to drive on the football. Textbook coverage here.

I think this is a no-brainer pick by the Browns if he is available at No. 4. He immediately walks in and adds versatility to the secondary and probably starts from the first day at free safety. I certainly would not rule out him playing some nickel corner at times because he is so talented.

When I came into the league, they immediately moved me to safety after playing four years of cornerback at Ohio State. The one thing I can say is the biggest difference from corner to safety is knowing coverages and responsibilities of everyone around you. Not every corner can move to safety because some guys just don’t have what it takes upstairs. Fitzpatrick was a coach on the field for the Crimson Tide. He studied and knew not only his responsibilities, but also his teammates'.

When your teammates trust you and rely on you, this helps you become a leader. I’m praying that when the Browns walk that card to the podium in April, Minkah Fitzpatrick will be the pick. Let’s get Jabrill Peppers back in the box where he belongs, along with some of the other young studs the Browns have on a defense that could be special. Come get some! (That’s a Gregg Williams line by the way.)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Fallen kingdom: Kyrie Irving's messy divorce from Cavs, LeBron James

One day during the three years LeBron James and Kyrie Irving spent as teammates, Drederick Irving was exiting the Cavs’ locker room when Randy Mims was entering. Mims, one of James’ lifelong friends and an official Cavs employee, reached out his hand to slap Drederick five. But Dred, Irving’s father, pulled his own arm back and refused the gesture.

When James later asked Irving about the incident and if there was something wrong, Irving said his father believed they shouldn’t be “fraternizing with the enemy.” Three sources with knowledge of the exchange independently confirmed it to The Athletic, revealing just a glimmer of light into a fractured relationship that both men hid well during their time together.

Irving shook off Gordon Hayward’s gruesome ankle injury early in the first quarter to score 22 points and pass for 10 assists in his Celtics debut Tuesday, and it was only fitting he had the ball in his hands – with James guarding him – when he missed a potential tying 3-pointer at the buzzer from the same spot on the same floor where so many shots before it had fallen.

Irving was greeted with mostly boos Tuesday, and the Cavs elected not to air a tribute video they had previously planned to show during the game. Consider this just the latest chapter in a long, strange saga between the Cavs and their former No. 1 overall pick.

Both James and Mims declined comment to The Athletic regarding the locker-room incident involving Drederick. Irving, when asked about it and the “fraternizing with the enemy” comment before Boston’s morning shootaround Tuesday, did not confirm or deny it.

“I could care less. You can write it,” Irving told The Athletic. “It’s on you, kid. It’s your validity, baby. It’s just my dad. It’s not me.”

While no one will admit it publicly, spend any amount of time around those involved in this divorce and it’s clear both sides feel wronged. Drederick was often upset with the organization throughout Irving’s six years here, whether it was the personnel they surrounded him with prior to James’ return, the coaching decisions or the way the organization handled Irving’s health. Even the negotiation of his rookie contract grew contentious.

When Irving fractured his kneecap during the 2015 NBA Finals after he played in pain throughout the postseason, Drederick was furious in the locker room after Game 1, believing the Cavs did not care about his son’s health and well-being.

Conversely, the Cavs privately weren’t pleased with Irving’s behavior both during his time here and since he requested a trade out of the organization last summer. Cleveland.com reported that current Cavs players were upset by the idea of the team showing a tribute video in honor of Irving, a report The Athletic confirmed after the game. Irving, meanwhile, insists he is done talking about why he wanted out of Cleveland.

“This was literally just a decision I wanted to make solely based on my happiness and pushing my career forward,” he said. “I don’t want to pinpoint anything, I will never pinpoint anything because that’s not what real grown-ups do. They continue to move on with their life and continue to progress and that’s what I’m going to continue to do.”

Putting the LeBron component aside, Irving never had much stability in Cleveland. He played for four head coaches and was about to begin working under his third general manager in just six years here when he requested a trade in early July.

Team spokesman Tad Carper said at halftime Tuesday they weren’t going to air the tribute video because they couldn’t find a time that felt appropriate, particularly after Hayward’s horrific leg and ankle injury midway through the first quarter made players from both teams double over in empathy and disgust as the crowd groaned at the sight. Dan Gilbert was involved in the decision not to air the video. Of course, the boos directed at Irving throughout the night, coupled with the fact Cavs players didn’t want it to air, perhaps made the decision a bit easier.

As both teams took the floor before the game, Irving greeted Iman Shumpert, his closest friend on the Cavs, but no one else. He walked near the opposing free-throw line for the opening tip, far away from all of his former teammates.

Irving clearly had no intention of budging when a few Cavs players, Dwyane Wade and James among them, walked over to him for a pregame fist bump. James greeted all of the players on the court before the tip. It was the only interaction between James and Irving until the end when they embraced briefly after Irving’s miss at the buzzer.

Basketball becomes secondary during nights like this when gruesome injuries are involved, but the Celtics still have 81 games to go. Without Hayward, all eyes are now on Irving. It’s a leadership position he sought. Now he has it all to himself.

This was Boston’s only trip to Cleveland this season until a potential playoff series and these teams don’t meet again until early January at the Garden. But at some point in this lifetime, one side will crack and begin to explain more of what exactly went wrong in this relationship. It’s inevitable. For now, they remain content to give the ritualistic hand pounds and half-hearted embraces. This partnership, once bubbling with promise, over too soon.

“Any time you win a championship with someone, you automatically think about the moments, the memories, especially with someone who was instrumental to what we were able to accomplish,” James said after the game. “Once the ball went up, it was kind of back to the regularly scheduled programming.”

What exactly “regularly scheduled programming” looks like in this post-Irving Cavs era has yet to be determined. Stay tuned.