Does anyone else roll their eyes when they see Souls-like on a game description?

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I feel like there's been an explosion of Souls-like games that are basically mid to shyt tier cash grabs to pimp the "git good " crowd, that have no real story and the same lame game mechanics.

Does anyone else want a game that tells an actual story first as opposed to something that makes the reason for the character doing anything an after thought illustrated by picking up random items that you can miss?

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I don't roll my eyes, but I am a lil weary of Souls-like clones out there. I mean, it's to be expected tho, as this is the byproduct of anything that's deemed either successful, novel or sublime really. It's happened in every gaming generation prior (nolstagia, child-minds + novelty of gaming in general just blinds many to that fact). It also happens in pretty much any other genre of entertainment (music genres, movies, etc.). It happens in business. It happens in car designs. Many things really. Just roll with it or go with something else.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Most “souls like” games aren’t even really like dark souls.

At this point it just means stamina based combat and/or dodge/block/parry based combat and respawn bonfires.

Some of these games end up good. Some end up bad :manny:
Most of the time, there's also that deliberate pacing of combat flow, in that there's little to no action cancelling between movements. Tho some of the clones do break this tradition.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Most of the time, there's also that deliberate pacing of combat flow, in that there's little to no action cancelling between movements. Tho some of the clones do break this tradition.
Yeah, that’s what i’m talking about. Just didn’t know the exact words to say it :ehh:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Usually i end up liking those games better than souls.

God of War 2018 and Ragnorok was described as souls like

Jedi Fallen order too.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Usually i end up liking those games better than souls.

God of War 2018 and Ragnorok was described as souls like

Jedi Fallen order too.

Ehh...those games are a lot lighter on its Souls-like influences than what I think the OP is talking about. Like there's some influences there, but hardly enough and/or there's so many other differentiating factors with them to ever think they were clones.

Now games like Nioh, Wo Long, Steel Rising, Mortal Shell, Thymesia and others are more akin to truly being souls/borne-like to the point of being clone status.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Ehh...those games are a lot lighter on its Souls-like influences than what I think the OP is talking about. Like there's some influences there, but hardly enough and/or there's so many other differentiating factors with them to ever think they were clones.

Now games like Nioh, Wo Long, Steel Rising, Mortal Shell, Thymesia and others are more akin to truly being souls/borne-like to the point of being clone status.

And The Surge

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem

makes sense.