Does anyone else hate the look of digital cameras and miss the look of film.

Barney Rubble

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Maybe it's nostalgia, but movies these days look so fake and overproduced due to digital cameras. I miss the motion and gritty look of film grain, it just made everything look more authentic. I think most classic movies would be ruined if they were as glossy and digitized as today's movies. I know film is too expensive and difficult to work with for most productions, but I wish they would at least create a really good filter to make digital feel exactly like film, especially for horror, crime, and gritty dramas.

Barney Rubble

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No examples provided :wow:
I was watching No Sudden Move with Don Cheadle and they were using this fake depth of field fish eye effect and it looked so bad it was taking me out of the scenes. The movie took place in the 50s and the whole time I was thinking how much better it would feel if it was shot on film. Then I was watching the OG Halloween and I was thinking how much better slasher movies look on film because of the gritty feel. Film also helps hide the makeup effects and benefits horror movies highly. That's why they shoot The Walking Dead on film cuz the makeup holds up better in high def that way.

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Digital can look just as good trust me. But depends on the camera and what the director is going for

Most audiences don’t care or know the difference so why spend the extra money and effort on film?

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Film will always be my #1. I like the texture and warmness from the projections in a similar way to my listening experiences with vinyl records. I don’t hate the look of digital though. A good DP can light digital to look just as good as film. Both formats have its pros and cons. Like I appreciate the crispness of film, but digital always seemed much easier (and cheaper) to shoot and edit.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
T Dot
I hate da look of certain digital cameras. I dunno what its called or what's the diff but I can clearly see the difference.

Example, watch any prime time tv show and then watch one of those Tyler Perry studio TV shows in bet. The look of the Tyler Perry ones always seem off. Like over enhanced, or too bright. I dunno what its called but in sure every1 has noticed it with some of those new bet shows

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
i agree. i wish there were more film. really, i wish there less digital elements in movies too. all these fake gun shots showing up in stuff now. fake blood. just ridiculous.

RehReh

🖤GhettoEmpress🖤
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
Lol yh my bro girl has a Polaroid so we take candids from time to time and I love the rustic look no filter no posing

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Example, watch any prime time tv show and then watch one of those Tyler Perry studio TV shows in bet. The look of the Tyler Perry ones always seem off. Like over enhanced, or too bright. I dunno what its called but in sure every1 has noticed it with some of those new bet shows

Tyler Perry shows are basically cable access

hitmonlee

All Star
Daps
Maybe it's nostalgia, but movies these days look so fake and overproduced due to digital cameras. I miss the motion and gritty look of film grain, it just made everything look more authentic. I think most classic movies would be ruined if they were as glossy and digitized as today's movies. I know film is too expensive and difficult to work with for most productions, but I wish they would at least create a really good filter to make digital feel exactly like film, especially for horror, crime, and gritty dramas.
That’s why I love how 80s and 90s movies looked