Do you think a company outside of Larian will ever top BG3?

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
It's a generational game so I doubt it gets topped anytime soon as far as traditional RPG's are concerned.

Cyberpunk/Witcher sequel and Elder Scrolls 6 are the only things I can see being up in that tier for the foreseeable future

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
It's a generational game so I doubt it gets topped anytime soon as far as traditional RPG's are concerned.

Cyberpunk/Witcher sequel and Elder Scrolls 6 are the only things I can see being up in that tier for the foreseeable future
The issue is the amount of options the game offers it’s why other devs were making statements like this game shouldn’t be held as the norm. No other game has offered such a diverse amount of options and ways to approach things. You want the illusion of choice? This game offers it in abundance.

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
The issue is the amount of options the game offers it’s why other devs were making statements like this game shouldn’t be held as the norm. No other game has offered such a diverse amount of options and ways to approach things. You want the illusion of choice? This game offers it in abundance.
but that's the literal core of what an RPG is meant to be.
So seeing the core concept be executed to such a literal degree is what's throwing people. They suddenly need to have their RPGs actually have consequence to choices they fill their games with. Ones that affect the game to make decisions meaningful.

Bioware got away with ending their 3-game opus with a red-blue-green powerpoint presentation. They got flamed for it but the studio was fine after doing it. That kinda illusion of choice just won't work now, I think and the rejection would kill a studio.

It's probably going to force people to level up, or just admit they're making action-adventures

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
So seeing the core concept be executed to such a literal degree is what's throwing people. They suddenly need to have their RPGs actually have consequence to choices they fill their games with. Ones that affect the game to make decisions meaningful.

Bioware got away with ending their 3-game opus with a red-blue-green powerpoint presentation. They got flamed for it but the studio was fine after doing it. That kinda illusion of choice just won't work now, I think and the rejection would kill a studio.

It's probably going to force people to level up, or just admit they're making action-adventures

Crazy how chrono trigger did the multiple ending thing better than a lot of these newer games :wow:

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Owlcat is on an early Bioware run. The haven't really made their Mass Effect yet. Wrath is much better than ME but doesn't have nearly the same popularity.
Owlcat just need to tune the engine so the camera can cook pulled in a bit tighter, and if they get some rudimentary cutscene/close-up model people on board they on their way. They can easily level up into that space for people who play Larian and want to go deeper/have more systems.

I want to see Owlcat make something without a licensed ruleset to adapt, lowkey. I want to see what they cook when they have reign over the kitchen. I wanna see their D:OS, their PoE, their ME/DA

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Owlcat just need to tune the engine so the camera can cook pulled in a bit tighter, and if they get some rudimentary cutscene/close-up model people on board they on their way. They can easily level up into that space for people who play Larian and want to go deeper/have more systems.

I want to see Owlcat make something without a licensed ruleset to adapt, lowkey. I want to see what they cook when they have reign over the kitchen. I wanna see their D:OS, their PoE, their ME/DA

People will probably disagree with me but i feel like larian really kind of ascended when they made it accessible for gamepad and console. You can play divinity and BG3 on a tv as easy as a normal rpg.

I was playing rogue trader and it was still very menu based very text heavy

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
if a good competent dev takes a crack at neverwinter, maybe. outside of that im not seeing it

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
Pathfinder could definitely do it if Owlcat were given the budget.
They would have to revise their entire style of game making. I love Owlcat and have bought and own every game they have made. Played WOTR multiple times and loved Rouge trader. The one thing you will find with them is they are not accessible for the average gamer whose main gripe is…to much text. They will also need to update their engine as someone above said.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

So, what you guys are talking about is ACTUALLY why other developers were talking about how BG3 is unique. Giving the player real, actual choice is completely achievable just as long as you're willing to accept that the story ends in that game. Trying to balance permutations of player choice across multiple games is how we end up with the letdown you see elsewhere. No choice can truly be all that consequential, because you need to account for that particular choice in a third or fourth sequel that may or may not eventually come out over a decade from now.

It also helps that Larian used early access almost perfectly. Larger owned studios wouldn't be able to effectively utilize it in the same way. Studios have blatantly been effectively doing the same thing, but that shyt hits different when you're charging regular retail and giving nothing but a roadmap that stands a solid chance of being abandoned in return.

Cᵣₐₛₕ&ₜₕₑCₒᵤₚ

____ exposing themselves
Daps
I just started playing it and I mess with it. The turn-based combat flows mutch better than Divinity which made me drop it mid-game due to the dumb armor/mage armor system. I have it on normal so it's giving me a peaceful but not challangeless experience :ehh: texture pop ins are a** though. As solid as the game is, I can't stop thinking it'd be better real-time with pause. It works for the niche however with the strategical freedom with every encounter