Do you think a company outside of Larian will ever top BG3?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I’m looking at starfield, im looking at dragon age coming out, avowed…it seems like there’s nothing on the horizon that has like high production value and actual good role playing coming out. Even these big legacy AAA rpg companies don’t seem to be hitting on the level of freedom and customization of BG3.

now that Larian have kind of wiped their hands with WoTC is it over for this generation as far as something that can fill that niche?

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Probably, when these companies make it big, usually a couple of the OGs that all the sudden find themselves with some money, open up their own studio.

OneDeep

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
In the climate of

Live Service
Battle pass
Relying on DLC
Microtransactions

Type of games BG3 released as a complete game that they patched & added new content to the game over the course of a year

While their players not having to pay extra for

Larian took a risk and it paid off big time for them the majority of the industry is too greedy to take that chance

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
Nah this is the gold standard and probably will be for a while. Even CDPR will be hard pressed to even come remotely close to this. It will be interesting to see what Larian can do on a similar scale without the restriction of the D&D rules.

Phantum

The Charisma of the Streets
Daps
CDPR is the only one who can save us

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Depends, but doesn't seem there's anything in the pipeline. I think a game could come close if it has good combat because I still feel combat in BG3 was just okay, but I understand why some people enjoy it. I don't think there's any company willing to put a AAA budget towards a RPG game.The only thing I can think of is CD Projekt Red next project and Elder Scrolls: VI, but both of those games are most likely 3-5 years away. Plus, if we're talking about combat those games don't have that great combat. I like the Dragon Age franchise and I doubt that game would come close , and it's a damn sahme because Dragon Age Origins is one of the best games of all time

I guess we could get a surprise hit like Disco Elysium, but I doubt it tbh

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Starfield is already better than this let me go make a sandwich and write a derivative for a banking institution until it's my turn to attack again game.

Larian let you 69 gods engage in bestiality and now people like "oh the game is so great it let me fukk a bear"

All Bethesda got to do is let you get topped off by a terramorph and i'm sure the usua sus :dame: spects would be praising it to.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Starfield is already better than this let me go make a sandwich and write a derivative for a banking institution until it's my turn to attack again game.

Larian let you 69 gods engage in bestiality and now people like "oh the game is so great it let me fukk a bear"

All Bethesda got to do is let you get topped off by a terramorph and i'm sure the usua sus :dame: spects would be praising it to.

Yall nikkas just need to come out the closet already, all this gay fiction and for what? :dahell:

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
nikkas who don't like strategy are just evolutionarily predisposed to being infantry; it's fine :yeshrug:

But thinking for a literal second that anything coming out this year in the RPG space is coming near this is just being willfully obtuse :francis:And believing games that have been rebuilt two/three times in the same time period Larian spent just polishing BG3 are going to somehow compete is wishful thinking.

Folk in here said Avowed and Dragon Age... meanwhile, both those studios dreamed about making the kind of thing Larian did, and what'd they do? They let their businessdaddies turn them into action game studios :hubie:if they really were like that as RPG makers, Bioware would still be making RPGs and Obsidian wouldn't have gotten bought as a big acquisition just to be tossed on the bench the minute Bethesda got to town... and BGS don't even make RPGs, they make sim games with skill trees.