do you need soundbars for these newer tv's?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
They look better and are cheaper. I'd take a quality sound bar over budget speakers (def not touching a quality sound system though).
Would you say a quality sound bar is better than a lower end 5.1 home theatre setup from a trusted brand like Sony or Samsung?

Last edited:

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
I know what you mean, but I had the full 5.1 onkyo setup for like 3 years. had a 55 inch Samsung, shyt was fire.

I switched over to this LG oled 55 around thanksgiving. got the LG sj9 sound bar to go with it. had the full dolby atmos

its incredible relative to what it is.

if you had a full 7.1 setup with dolby atmos, it would kill the sound bar, but thats an even crazier setup

I have Atmos 7.1.4 in the living room, once you do that, there is no going back. 12 speakers in the right locations, sound is just :blessed::ohlawd::whew:

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
that shyt must be amazing breh

:salute:

I'm very satisfied with it. Depending on the movie it practically drops you in middle of everything. Rain sounds like its actually raining in the room, helicopters flying overhead might as be above the ceiling.

Dolby did a great job with Atmos, and most if not all Atmos receivers can upscale not-Atmos material (2.1/5.1/7.1) up to your full Atmos sound setup if you want.

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Would you say a quality sound bar is better than lower end 5.1 home theatre setup from a trusted brand like Sony or Samsung?

Nah and the money you would spend on a quality soundbar could be put towards building a 5.1 system

Spent 300 on a Klipsh RS-B and I'm going to end up exchanging and paying the difference for a receiver and a 2.0 setup to start off

Last edited:

Jimmy Two-Times™

Coli Mods Catch Me If U Can Forgive Me Imma Ridah™
Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
the 2017 tv's have pretty good sound or do i need to cop one?

i haven't bought a new tv in a long time and the older ones had some shytty speakers.
If you have a day job and can afford to put aside £1000-1500 just for a 4KTV then you shouldn't skimp on the audiovisual aspect of the viewing experience either.

Buy a decent mid-range receiver/amplifier with enough output to so you know not to blow out the speakers on the receiver's max volume or under power the speakers so they don't even output the sound to it's full potential and end up ruining your speakers even faster than being blown out.

I'd spend just as much on the sound system as it is a one off luxury item you are buying to treat yourself *ONCE for the foreseeable future (ie next 10+ years)

If I were to point you into the right direction it would be Klipsch speakers:
+
Combined with any mid-range receiver with enough features that meet your needs like HDMI outs etc. Just make sure the receiver can even supply enough watts to the speakers.

Also, when you buy speakers make sure you are aware of the RMS watts of the speaker as that is the true volume of watts the speaker can handle. The peak watts are usually shown for marketing mumbo jumbo to trick potential first glance buyers. This way you know what you are buying. Rule of thumb, if the manufacturer do not list the RMS watts then don't buy it. They should list both and Klipsch does list both.

I hope I made your hunt easier.

Since the electronic expos are just around the corner and the World Cup is about to start in 2 months I'd suggest to you to hold off until June or July to buy your electronics cheaper due to the mass sales.

Jimmy Two-Times™

Coli Mods Catch Me If U Can Forgive Me Imma Ridah™
Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
Would you say a quality sound bar is better than a lower end 5.1 home theatre setup from a trusted brand like Sony or Samsung?
Soundbars are not dynamic enough. Nothing beats actually placing speakers in different corners of the room to be real surround sound. Even though some soundbars have 1-2 speakers in the soundbar, the sound is still coming from one direction which still mimics mono to some degree but a better job at it.

If you can't afford a good set of speakers, I would advise you to save up and hold off to buy the good speakers and receiver. The DACs in a good amp cannot be fxcked with.

If you can't afford a good mid-range receiver then search ebay or old electronic stores for amps specifically from the mid-80s to the early-90s. DACs from this period has that warm analogue output of sound that is awesome -- try Hitachi. So any amp from then will suffice.

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
At one point I had a soundbar/sub setup for the bedroom, sold it. Replaced it with Onkyo 7.1 AVR, Energy C7 towers, and Velodyne 10-12VA sub.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

Soundbars are all the rage these days among folks who are unsatisfied with their TV's weak built-in speakers - but does it make sense to buy one?

Have you ever wondered how a 2.1 channel speaker system or a small speaker bar can simulate full surround sound?

Sound bars are a growing category in the home theater space. Some can do multi-room audio. Some can do virtual surround sound. Some, like the new Sonos Beam, even have the Google Assistant or Alexa built in. But what about this best-selling value sound bar from Amazon?

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

Soundbars are all the rage these days among folks who are unsatisfied with their TV's weak built-in speakers - but does it make sense to buy one?

Have you ever wondered how a 2.1 channel speaker system or a small speaker bar can simulate full surround sound?

Sound bars are a growing category in the home theater space. Some can do multi-room audio. Some can do virtual surround sound. Some, like the new Sonos Beam, even have the Google Assistant or Alexa built in. But what about this best-selling value sound bar from Amazon?

:ohhh: These videos got me thinking I should buy a wireless 3.1 Soundbar setup. Dealing with all these extra speakers & long-ass wires with my Sony Home-Theater-in-a-Box that I've had for almost a decade has ALWAYS been a hassle. So much so, I don't even use my rear speakers anymore.

Last edited:

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
If you have a day job and can afford to put aside £1000-1500 just for a 4KTV then you shouldn't skimp on the audiovisual aspect of the viewing experience either.

Buy a decent mid-range receiver/amplifier with enough output to so you know not to blow out the speakers on the receiver's max volume or under power the speakers so they don't even output the sound to it's full potential and end up ruining your speakers even faster than being blown out.

I'd spend just as much on the sound system as it is a one off luxury item you are buying to treat yourself *ONCE for the foreseeable future (ie next 10+ years)

If I were to point you into the right direction it would be Klipsch speakers:
+
Combined with any mid-range receiver with enough features that meet your needs like HDMI outs etc. Just make sure the receiver can even supply enough watts to the speakers.

Also, when you buy speakers make sure you are aware of the RMS watts of the speaker as that is the true volume of watts the speaker can handle. The peak watts are usually shown for marketing mumbo jumbo to trick potential first glance buyers. This way you know what you are buying. Rule of thumb, if the manufacturer do not list the RMS watts then don't buy it. They should list both and Klipsch does list both.

I hope I made your hunt easier.

Since the electronic expos are just around the corner and the World Cup is about to start in 2 months I'd suggest to you to hold off until June or July to buy your electronics cheaper due to the mass sales.
vintage godfather pic in your avi >