Do we REALLY need SSD drives just for storage?

King Frost

Stay Frosty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
North Pole
Apps should be ran on SSD
SATA drives are for storage only

you should get enterprise SATA drives, the same ones data centers use not the low end consumer ones.

and backup to medical grade DVD & LTO.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
I’m waiting for the day when these SSD drives come down in price for 4+ TB of space. I’m glad that the platter external drives are so “cheap” now but it’s not 2004 anymore. We need fast drives with high capacity. Thinking about RPM should be a thing of the past along with worrying if every bump will fukk your drive up.

I have two 8TB externals connected to my Plex server and dread the day when these SSDs do some down in price and i have to move the data over.
Facts

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
No reason anyone should be using HDD after 2019...SSD prices about the drop again later this year
They have to drop A LOT more for them to be worth it. I have close to 10TB of shyt saved from the past couple decades...do you know how much it would cost to store all that on SSD?

I did put a SSD in my laptop recently and can definitely notice the speed difference but still not worth what they cost right now

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
They have to drop A LOT more for them to be worth it. I have close to 10TB of shyt saved from the past couple decades...do you know how much it would cost to store all that on SSD?

I did put a SSD in my laptop recently and can definitely notice the speed difference but still not worth what they cost right now

This. Right not a 8TB platter drive is in the $150 range and if SSD at that size was $30-40 more, I would be all over it

I’d love for SSD prices to go down but I feel like it took forever for SD card prices to fall to crack prices and RAM prices will NEVER go down.

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
No reason anyone should be using HDD after 2019...SSD prices about the drop again later this year

My 4tb sata drive cost me 45$. When i can get even a 2tb ssd for that price tag a nikka. Until then :camby:

I have a 256gb ssd that i have windows installed on and i keep my multiplayers games on (Overwatch/Apex Legends/Gears 4 etc)

All my single player games goes on my 4tb harddrive. And even on my normal sata drive the load times are faster then on my ps4 so :yeshrug:

Last edited:

Threnody

Superstar
Daps

Before my shyt failed I would have agreed with you

It took me losing priceless data I can't get back...that shyt broke me :damn:

Spending a G on storage is nothing to me now :yeshrug: do you tho

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
Before my shyt failed I would have agreed with you

It took me losing priceless data I can't get back...that shyt broke me :damn:

Spending a G on storage is nothing to me now :yeshrug: do you tho
I don't have it all on one drive but I hear you. I never experienced a drive crashing on me in 20+ years though so until then...