Do we REALLY need SSD drives just for storage?

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
I got Windows 10 on an SSD (obviously). Regular SATA III drives for movies (1 TB), TV shows (2 TB) and Games (3 TB). I went ahead and got a 1 TB SSD to start moving my games to b/c it made sense. Why do I only have 16 GB left on the damn drive!?!? My AssCreed and my Steam folder make up over 700 GB alone!!!

My question: do games *really* need to be run on an SSD, or can they run as well on a SATA III? And if the answer is no to the SATA III, would an external SSD work as well as an internal one? The cheapest SSD I've seen for a 2 TB is about $240. Putting that towards a graphic card? Cool. A hard drive? Not so much.

Also, for those of you who have SSDs, what did you do w/your SATA IIIs?

(Now I gotta go see WTF my AssCreed folder is so damn big...)

Last edited:

Dorian Breh

Veteran
Daps
You can run games off platter drives they'll just load slower of course. Easiest thing to do though is move games your're not playing to a backup drive and only run current games off the ssd.
How you do dat?

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
I got Windows 10 on an SSD (obviously). Regular SATA III drives for movies (1 TB), TV shows (2 TB) and Games (3 TB). I went ahead and got a 1 TB SSD to start moving my games to b/c it made sense. Why do I only have 16 GB left on the damn drive!?!? My AssCreed and my Steam folder make up over 700 GB alone!!!

My question: do games *really* need to be run on an SSD, or can they run as well on a SATA III? And if the answer is no to the SATA III, would an external SSD work as well as an internal one? The cheapest SSD I've seen for a 2 TB is about $240. Putting that towards a graphic card? Cool. A hard drive? Not so much.

Also, for those of you who have SSDs, what did you do w/your SATA IIIs?

(Now I gotta go see WTF my AssCreed folder is so damn big...)
And this is why CRS-ONE :whew:

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
I use both still. I dont have the money YET to upgrade all my files to SSD, so I only use that for my OS and games that I play regularly. Everything else on the HDD. In theory yes, SSDs should be the only thing you use for storage. There's almost no reason not to. I have heard about some issues with writing data frequently on SSDs can shorten their lifespan but I think this is not that big of a deal now. The only problem with the setup I have of SSD/HDD is moving games back and forth between the two is kind of annoying and can be complicated especially if using steam or something.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
I'm all SSD, for everything (storage included).

HDDs are obsolete technology. Bush them :camby:
I paid 67 bucks for a 4 TB 7200RPM drive. Until SSDs don't cost 400 bucks for the same space, they won't compare for large storage applications.

Below are my drives and I have another 4 tb drive on my desk I havent installed. C: is my NVME ssd, D:/ is my SATA SSD and the last two other drives are my HDDs for storage.
20gcqo6.jpg

Threnody

Superstar
Daps
No reason anyone should be using HDD after 2019...SSD prices about the drop again later this year

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
No reason anyone should be using HDD after 2019...SSD prices about the drop again later this year
What's the cheapest price for a 4 tb SSD that isn't shyt and will turn into a lemon in a month?. I run a Plex server and unlimited cap on my internet. SSDs for storage aren't there yet. Still too high for $/GB.

Threnody

Superstar
Daps
What's the cheapest price for a 4 tb SSD that isn't shyt and will turn into a lemon in a month?. I run a Plex server and unlimited cap on my internet. SSDs for storage aren't there yet. Still too high for $/GB.

I'd take the hit price wise....had 3x WD drives die on me back to back and lost most of my shyt from 2014 to 2016 and said never again copped 4x 2TB Samsung Pro SSDs and mirrored everything to Backblaze Online Backup

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
I'm with Tyrant on this one ... got a few 4tb drives ... only use the SSD for my video game consoles. The wait time on computer doesnt move me enough to care yet, for that price.

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
I’m waiting for the day when these SSD drives come down in price for 4+ TB of space. I’m glad that the platter external drives are so “cheap” now but it’s not 2004 anymore. We need fast drives with high capacity. Thinking about RPM should be a thing of the past along with worrying if every bump will fukk your drive up.

I have two 8TB externals connected to my Plex server and dread the day when these SSDs do some down in price and i have to move the data over.