Do I need a fighting stick to play fighting games to my full potential?

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
I can never do a firebal with a stick. I need a fukkin D-pad.

I'm gonna need to get the switch pro-controller cause them lil bitty joints ain't cuttin it

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
I prefer actually being able to accurately place the direction of the character instead of the efficiency rate of a joystick.

maybe I just never got really good at joysticks but direction pads was all we had...

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
For me gamepad is easier only negative is that I strain my hands on them for fighting games. If I play for a long time it can lead to mistakes.

The fight stick was a bytch to learn but once I did I found that I was more accurate. I must have plateaued on it because I wasn't as fast in executing moves as I was on the controller and was getting rocked on the regular. Eventually I gave up and sold mine.

I think brehs with big hands would prefer fight sticks. I have a homie who switched because the DS4 didn't agree with his brolick ass mitts :dead:

StarClout

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broncos/NYY/NYR/ALA
I love my kitted out Razer Panthera :banderas: I can’t play on anything other than stick when on console (I switched to Stick around Mortal Kombat 9 in 2011).

Exceptions are when I’m playing portable fighters on my Switch, where I use my spare Hori left joycon with the proper D-Pad that I have in my deluxe travel case.

If I’m playing Smash, it’s GameCube controller or bust.

Hori Joycon:
71mWrolzwrL._SL1500_.jpg

One day I’m gonna buy a hitbox

1_HitBoxPNG_1c26c453-faa2-4a47-a212-182da447507b.png

CodeKansas

Superstar
Daps
Depends on what you play better on. I started playing stick for SFV because I wanted to, even though it handicaps me. I can't do qcfx2 motions on stick, so combos in CA with Necalli are a no-go. Could bust them out in my sleep on a DS4, though. I still enjoy using my Drone, however.

If it turns out you play better on stick, stay with it. If anything this'll help you take a clear step in either direction.