Do I need a fighting stick to play fighting games to my full potential?

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
I've been playing MKX on gamepass and although I'm alright at the game I'm noticing that a regular xbox or ps4 controller just ain't going to cut it.

Should I buy a fighting stick? Does it add better mechanics?

ConPHIdential

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Haven’t played the newest MK but last year I played better on a controller. The title before that I did prefer a stick however.

Now games like street fighter it definitely helped. I play piano so a fightstick when it came to inputs was so smooth for me :wow:

Lokozuna

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
East Coast
Not necessarily but for me when I copped a fight stick not only did I get better at fighting games but I enjoyed them a lot more. I have the same stick you listed above and it's honestly one of the best gaming purchases I made this generation. You're not gonna become a top tier player overnight but I guarantee if you put in the work you're not gonna wanna go back to playing on standard controllers.

With that said I don't enjoy playing all fighting games on stick specifically the Dead or Alive and Mortal Kombat games. Some games just feel better on pad for me at least. Tekken 7, Killer Instinct, and Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown on the other hand feel just right on stick.

One last thing , fight sticks can also be used to play shoot em' ups, most retro games , and a few platformers so that's another benefit. If you're still skeptical and don't wanna pull the trigger on a stick look into fight pads. I hear the fighting commander is a solid option.

My Girl is Bow Legged

JUST DO IT LIKE
Daps
no, most fighting games have lighter execution now and are designed for console play. Switch to a stick and you'll basically be learning the game all over again and will stack Ls while you're adjusting. Plus the shyts are expensive and you're really only gonna be using them for one type of game

If you're really dedicated on better execution and don't mind an extensive learning curve get a hitbox instead

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Not necessarily but for me when I copped a fight stick not only did I get better at fighting games but I enjoyed them a lot more. I have the same stick you listed above and it's honestly one of the best gaming purchases I made this generation. You're not gonna become a top tier player overnight but I guarantee if you put in the work you're not gonna wanna go back to playing on standard controllers.

With that said I don't enjoy playing all fighting games on stick specifically the Dead or Alive and Mortal Kombat games. Some games just feel better on pad for me at least. Tekken 7, Killer Instinct, and Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown on the other hand feel just right on stick.

One last thing , fight sticks can also be used to play shoot em' ups, most retro games , and a few platformers so that's another benefit. If you're still skeptical and don't wanna pull the trigger on a stick look into fight pads. I hear the fighting commander is a solid option.
I was going to get one for the bolded
You play DBZ FighterZ, injustice 2 or jumpforce on fighting stick?

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
I've been playing MKX on gamepass and although I'm alright at the game I'm noticing that a regular xbox or ps4 controller just ain't going to cut it.

Should I buy a fighting stick? Does it add better mechanics?

Nope. Just use what's more comfortable for you.
Some of the best mk players use a pad:manny:

Lokozuna

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
East Coast
I was going to get one for the bolded
You play DBZ FighterZ, injustice 2 or jumpforce on fighting stick?

Out of the games you listed I only play DBZ FighterZ and I play that on stick. It's already an easy game to play on pad but on stick I feel like it's even easier.

As for Dead or Alive 6 it's not like its unplayable on stick I just find it easier on pad. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
You have to remember that fighting games use to be build with arcades in mind but that is no longer the case. Now they are mostly build for consoles so they have made the execution much easier. I'm personally a stick player but I'm sure some games are probably easier with a pad.

Negro Caesar

Superstar
Daps
Just order it on amazon and if u don’t think it helped ur gameplay return it.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Out of the games you listed I only play DBZ FighterZ and I play that on stick. It's already an easy game to play on pad but on stick I feel like it's even easier.

As for Dead or Alive 6 it's not like its unplayable on stick I just find it easier on pad. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa.
How's dead or alive in general? Gameplay wise?
You play the latest Tekken or soul Calibur?

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
It depends on the game, but if you do switch, just know you'll have to learn how to play the genre all over again which takes time.

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
Nah, you're better off with a controller, the buttons are closer so you can react quicker.

In the super smash bros community, the guys kept grinding so hard that they'd get really bad wrist problems, :mjtf: so one guy went and made his own 'b0xx' which is a fight stick that you can play melee on; it's tournament legal but there's no way in hell that he'll ever be as good as if he'd just stuck with controller.

I know FGC guys like fightsticks, but it just seems clunky and cumbersome af to me. It's really just whatever you prefer, but yeah you're gonna have to relearn a lot of the skills.

Lokozuna

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
East Coast
How's dead or alive in general? Gameplay wise?
You play the latest Tekken or soul Calibur?

Gameplay is piff! If you're familiar with the previous Dead or Alive games you'll enjoy the new iteration. If you're new to the series it offers one of the best tutorials I've ever played in a fighting game.

Tekken 7 is my go to fighting game. It has a huge learning curve but once you get the hang of things it's very rewarding. I haven't played Soul Calibur 6 in a while but I like it a lot I just haven't put much time into it. I play both on stick