Disney Streaming Service Launch Update (netflix, hulu & freeform shows remain)

Conz

Superstar
Daps
They'll never get those Marvel/Netflix shows back. Those characters belong to Netflix permanently
at some point Disney will get em. no one is gonna be checking for Daredevil season 7. Netflix doesn't even have much left to do with their 5 marvel characters. say they do 3 seasons of each solo, and a few pair up series. then what? i assume Disney is gonna cut them off from getting other characters.

but who knows. doesn't matter anyway. i don't give a shyt about Jessica Jones popping up in a Spiderman movie anymore... and i still think they could swing that if push came to shove

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
The Disney Vault should be the name of this service, and they should open that shyt

Breh imagine if Disney just let the vault open for 10.99 a month:wow:. I mean racks on fist. Gangbusters they will be selling the service. I would throw money at the idea of:

• Every Disney cartoon/movie even the :mjpls:ones
  • Documentaries
  • Exclusive Pixar shows
I mean it's not that damn hard but it's just seems like this streaming shyt is a way for Hollywood to implode in itself:ld:.

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa
Disney are consistently making a killing at the box office, yet none of these streaming services are profitable yet. I don't see why they're investing so much in this, just open the god damn vaults.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Disney are consistently making a killing at the box office, yet none of these streaming services are profitable yet. I don't see why they're investing so much in this, just open the god damn vaults.
bc it's obviously the way of the future. they're already late to the party

also, if what you said is true and Netflix isn't profitable that's just yet another indicator i don't understand how money works whatsoever. I realize they've vowed to spend like $10 bil to bombard us with overrated content, but they have to make way more than that just off subscriptions alone.

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa

also, if what you said is true and Netflix isn't profitable that's just yet another indicator i don't understand how money works whatsoever. I realize they've vowed to spend like $10 bil to bombard us with overrated content, but they have to make way more than that just off subscriptions alone.

They're consistently burning more cash than they're making. There's an article here https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/www....xs-revenue-really-keep-up-with-its-conte.aspx

I've got no doubt they should be profitable but being forced to release bonds to raise cash when they're the largest streaming company is crazy to me.

If their real value is in original content then how long can they play the game and keep spending more and more.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps

Most people share passwords

Conz

Superstar
Daps
(this is the first link i clicked) Netflix subscribers count 2017 | Statistic says they have $117m subscribers. That's a ton of money to not be profitting on. Keep pumping out dogshyt like Bright. no one fukkin signed up for Netflix b/c Bright was coming out.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
it doesn't sound good out the gate. Disney has to know that they need to release a lot of their old school classics to bring in more people. i hope there's a bundle package for Disney, Hulu and ESPN for around $20. i'll easily cut Netflix and go with that.

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
Yeah I won't be subscribing to this monthly. I'll probably check it out every 3 or 4 months to binge on old or new stuff but they don't have enough content to keep my coming back every month.

All these studios and production companies starting their own services don't realize that the reason people like Netflix, Amazon and Hulu so much is because you can watch shows from a bunch of different providers.

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
Disney’s Streaming Service Gets Its Name as New Details Emerge

Disney’s direct-to-consumer streaming service will be named “Disney Play,” according to a new report by Variety. CEO Bob Iger called the launch of the streaming service “the biggest priority of the company during calendar [year] 2019.”

The “Netflix-killing” Disney Play aims to tap into the same direct-to-consumer streaming video business model refined by current streaming giant Netflix, a motivation that was at the heart of the multi-billion dollar bidding war between Disney and Comcast over who would lay claim to 21st Century Fox’s expansive library of diverse content. Those spoils eventually went to Disney, who won with a $71.3 billion buyout.

In no longer providing their content to Netflix and instead reserving their biggest blockbusters for streaming on their own platform, Disney will miss out on the roughly $300 million in annual revenue it currently earns from Netflix and pay-TV rights. Disney, who has long streamed blockbusters like Captain America: Civil War and Rogue One on Netflix, will end that process with Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Captain Marvel, out in theaters this March, will be the first Marvel Studios production to be offered exclusively through Disney Play, where other Disney projects poised to be box office heavyweight hits in 2019 — Toy Story 4, Frozen 2, and live-action re-imaginings of The Lion King, Aladdin and Dumbo — will act as key selling points for the Disney service.

The studio is already investing in and developing high-profile, exclusive projects set to premiere on Disney Play, including a live-action Lady and the Tramp and a Jon Favreau-steered live-action Star Wars television series to the tune of $100 million for a 10-episode run.

Also headed to Disney Play are series inspired by some of Disney’s biggest IPs, including new TV series based on Disney-Pixar’s Monsters, Inc., tween favorite High School Musical, and an all-new Marvel series.

Disney intends to adhere to quality over quantity with Disney Play so as to not compete with Netflix’s ever-expanding offerings of original movies and television shows. The company will also avoid pulling Disney-owned and Fox-owned content from existing streaming video on demand and international licensing deals because such a move would be “logistically difficult and extremely costly.”

Earlier this month, it was learned Disney hoped to reacquire the television rights to its Star Warsmovies after selling those rights to AT&T Inc.’s Turner Broadcasting in an eight-year deal, allowing movies like The Empire Strikes Back and The Last Jedi to air on channels like TBS and TNT.

In addition to being the home of new original content inspired by Disney’s biggest brands like Marvel, Pixar, and Star Wars, Disney Play will host a large back catalogue of both its own content and the newly-acquired treasure trove of 21st Century Fox properties.

Disney Play will debut sometime in 2019.

3emoSGP.png