Disney Streaming Service Launch Update (netflix, hulu & freeform shows remain)

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
think i'll pass

Earlier this week, Deadline was able to learn quite a bit more about Disney's upcoming streaming service, which is due to go live at some point in the 2019 calendar year.

First off, the service, which has yet to set a price point, will begin as a domestic service only before expanding to overseas markets after an undetermined amount of time. The original programming will remain consistent with the traditional Disney brand, meaning there will be no R-rated films or television series on the platform. Any R-rated content produced by Disney will be given to Hulu.

As for all of the currently airing Marvel series, which includes Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Defenders, and The Punisher on Netflix, Runaways on Hulu, and the upcoming Cloak and Dagger on Freeform, they will all remain at their respective locations and will continue to produce new seasons for the foreseeable future. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will also remain at ABC, regardless of whether or not it gets cancelled after this current season.

Disney's current first-year goal is to produce at least four to five original films and five television series for the streaming service. The studio has also reportedly set a firm $25M-$35 million production budget for a 10-episode first season of any potential series. However, if they are presented with something "exceptionally ambitious," (e.g. Marvel or Star Wars), then there would be a budget cap of approximately $100 million for any 10-episode season.

Don Quixote, Lady and the Tramp, The Paper Magician, Julia Hart's Stargirl, and Ericson Core's Togo are their priority film projects at the moment and will likely be ready to go when the service launches next year. Mark Waters' Magic Camp and Mark Lawrence's Noelle, which stars Anna Kendrick and Bill Hader, are also bound for the streaming service.

Disney is also in the midst of actively developing 3 Men and a Baby, Sword and the Stone, and Timmy Failure for the service, but those are presumably not as far along.

For television, the inaugural slate includes a new live-action Marvel title, a Star Wars title, High School Musical, and an animated Monsters Inc. series. Further details weren't provided.

Last edited:

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
Think ill sign up by the month when something comes on i want to see...disney dont have enough for me to have the service fulltime

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
full

Unless they throw on some of the classic jawns like Fantasia and them old flicks within the vault, I'm good.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
This shyt better be dirt cheap with the trash they offering out the gate :hhh:
Well they have been saying since last year that it would be "substantially" lower than Netflix.

So they might be aiming for $4.99 like the ESPN service.

Either way it's probably a pass for me:camby: Where are the Classic Disney animated films and Disney Channel Original movies and shows from the 90s?

Last edited:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Well they have been saying since last year that it would be "substantially" lower than Netflix.

So they might be going for $4.99 like the ESPN service.

Either way it's probably a pass for me:camby: Where are the Disney Classic animation and Disney Channel Original movies and shows from the 90s?
In the vault :mjgrin:

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
interesting....guess they wanna see how any new programming would work before strong arming their stuff from other services and fukking up business relationships....anyway, since they got the rights back, think an xmen tv show could work...they could use some of the lesser known characters, and just have the big names show up from time to time....or a thunderbolts and/or moon knight show could work, depending on how far they wanna push the rating contents....

also, like others said: while the new shyt can be cool, they need to just open up the vaults for this service...

Daps

So they might be going for $4.99 like the ESPN service.

Either way it's probably a pass for me:camby: Where are the Disney Classic animation and Disney Channel Original movies and shows from the 90s?
:blessed: The Famous Jet Jackson
:to: RIP

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
interesting....guess they wanna see how any new programming would work before strong arming their stuff from other services and fukking up business relationships....anyway, since they got the rights back, think an xmen tv show could work...they could use some of the lesser known characters, and just have the big names show up from time to time....or a thunderbolts and/or moon knight show could work, depending on how far they wanna push the rating contents....

also, like others said: while the new shyt can be cool, they need to just open up the vaults for this service...

They'll never get those Marvel/Netflix shows back. Those characters belong to Netflix permanently

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
:francis:

the premise had me intrigued initially, but this new info...:beli:

all I wanted is Darkwing Duck and OG ducktales since they never bothered to finish releasing them...and downloads are in terrible quality...hopefully they get their shyt straight sooner than later and put that shyt on the service