Digital Foundry: Sony finally improved aspects of PS4 BC on PS5

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Eurogamer/Digital Foundry: Sony finally improved aspects of PS4 BC on PS5 thanks to a update on its software development kit

No cloud transfers required - it just works.

the new PS5 version imports any existing PlayStation 4 game saves you may have on your system. It's not a completely seamless experience, but the fact is that cross-save now works, allowing you to easily pick up on PS5 where you left off on PS4.

The technical explanation for PlayStation 5's cross-save issues is fairly straightforward. Up until recently, the PS5 system software has no visibility or access to any PlayStation 4 data on your console, meaning that highly convoluted means were required to move progress from one generation to the next

We had a look at Sony's SDK roadmap a while back and the concept of allowing PlayStation 5 titles to access PlayStation 4 user data was promised for a future update, which now appears to have rolled out. The first time I loaded Ghost of Tsushima, I disconnected my PS5 from the internet to rule out any potential cloud transfers, accessed the PS4 save game transfer option and discovered that all of my PS4 saves were available - the same saves I generated when I looked at the PS5 60fps patch for the game back in January. In turn, those saves were transferred across from my PS4 Pro using USB storage.

There are some extra flourishes to the system too - as you would hope, existing trophies from PS4 transition seamlessly onto PlayStation 5 and I noticed them start to pop in sequence as soon as I entered gameplay

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Does that include Doom eternal

I'd be happy to eventually be wrong (I know the PS5 version got an update recently, but I never played the PS4 version), but you know good and damn well that iD has no reason to more than the bare minimum. :unimpressed: