Digital Foundry: Next-gen consoles have a better GPU than 98% of PC gamers in the Steam PC survey

SAINT

All $ IN
Supporter
Daps
We don't want to play the cat and mouse catch up game. We don't want to have to worry about tweaking the correct settings just to play.

this is barely an inconvenience. Every PC gamer knows their specs and what they can handle. If not, a 5 min google search will tell you how your specs will work with certain games and which settings works best for you. This isn’t even a bad thing since it gives much more flexibility and control over how your game looks relatively. I don’t give a shyt about shadows so I keep it at medium now whatever game I play gets a small performance boost by lowering something I don’t notice or pay attention to. Consoles can’t do that.

Detroit Wave

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The D
you might not be great at math here

Steam has passed 1 billion total accounts, which rather real or alt accounts or fake accounts, they still take account of the pc specs going for or against

2% of 1 billion is 20 million PC's just on Steam -- PS5 wont sell 20 million units out the gate

not everyone uses Steam (only 100 million active users a month. League of Legends, which doesnt use Steam, has 115 million active users a month alone)

Blizzard, which has the most popular game of all time in World of Warcraft, does not use steam.

Majority of GTA 5 users use the Epic loader or the Rockstar loader for the game, not steam.

Majority of Playstation users will still be using PS3 and PS4 for years to come. Only a small % will get PS5 on release or even the first few months. Why is this never reported this way? People expect PC users to upgrade every 2-4 years but allow console users to upgrade every 10+ years

Not only that, the 1000 series of nVidia cards came out few years ago, so many skipped the 2000 series, to wait for the 3000 series coming out this year. Its called skipping a cycle, probably the most common thing among Pc builders, because we are smarter consumers. Even then the 2000 series of nVidia cards has still sold millions

im playing on my high end PC, right now, that will out perform PS5, are you playing on your PS5 right now?
/thread

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
PC gamers keep missing the point.

Console gamers want something that just works and is guaranteed to work with a push of a button for the next 10 years.

We don't want to play the cat and mouse catch up game. We don't want to have to worry about tweaking the correct settings just to play.

This is someone who grew up playing peer to peer multiplayer on Duke Nukem and Rainbow 6 Rogue Spear and Age of Empire on Game Spy. I'm an OG!!!!!!!!
Cap.

pc games automatically adjust the settings to your computer specs since like 2015

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
you might not be great at math here

Steam has passed 1 billion total accounts, which rather real or alt accounts or fake accounts, they still take account of the pc specs going for or against

2% of 1 billion is 20 million PC's just on Steam -- PS5 wont sell 20 million units out the gate

not everyone uses Steam (only 100 million active users a month. League of Legends, which doesnt use Steam, has 115 million active users a month alone)

Blizzard, which has the most popular game of all time in World of Warcraft, does not use steam.

Majority of GTA 5 users use the Epic loader or the Rockstar loader for the game, not steam.

Majority of Playstation users will still be using PS3 and PS4 for years to come. Only a small % will get PS5 on release or even the first few months. Why is this never reported this way? People expect PC users to upgrade every 2-4 years but allow console users to upgrade every 10+ years

Not only that, the 1000 series of nVidia cards came out few years ago, so many skipped the 2000 series, to wait for the 3000 series coming out this year. Its called skipping a cycle, probably the most common thing among Pc builders, because we are smarter consumers. Even then the 2000 series of nVidia cards has still sold millions

im playing on my high end PC, right now, that will out perform PS5, are you playing on your PS5 right now?

Speaking of bad math I am not sure where you are getting your 20 million number from.

1 billion user accounts has nothing to do with how the percentages break down steam hardware survey.

Steam does a hardware survey for active monthly users( who opt-in).

This is why you can see things like VR headset usage increase from 0.63 to 1.91% in 1 month. Not because they sold millions of units in a month (based on the 1 billion accounts metric you used), but because their active monthly user base (who opts-in to the survey) has connected a VR headset to their PC.

Within the western world (read as not China) Steam is far and wide the most used game launcher that every PC gamer has.

Games like WoW and LoL have monster monthly active user bases since the Chinese market inflates the numbers. In that country Steam is not ubiquitous with PC gaming like it is in the West.

PC vs console debates are always funny, they usually tend to spiral into a power debate when it should be about customizability and ease of use.

Its very simple.

For the first 2 years or so users who early adopt on consoles tend to have more powerful gaming systems than the vast majority PC players. But what does that matter? For the ‘smart’ PC players who care, they can ‘smartly’ ignore value and true price/performance and overspend on machines that produce similar quality graphics at framerates above 60.

PC lends power users customize games/settings/framerates with granular control to their liking.

Console gamers like a more consumer friendly ‘plug and play’ approach.

Even this gen, PCs have been getting easier to manage and consoles have had more patches and such but there is still a divide on the ease of use and plug and play.

For what its worth, I currently have a Ryzen 7, RTX 2060, PCIE4 SSD powered PC.

I plan on getting a PS5 in the launch window.

I will be buying PS5 exclusives and some 3rd party games there. I will be playing Xbox exclusives and most 3rd party on PC since that is where my gaming group plays.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Speaking of bad math I am not sure where you are getting your 20 million number from.

1 billion user accounts has nothing to do with how the percentages break down steam hardware survey.

Steam does a hardware survey for active monthly users( who opt-in).

This is why you can see things like VR headset usage increase from 0.63 to 1.91% in 1 month. Not because they sold millions of units in a month (based on the 1 billion accounts metric you used), but because their active monthly user base (who opts-in to the survey) has connected a VR headset to their PC.

Within the western world (read as not China) Steam is far and wide the most used game launcher that every PC gamer has.

Games like WoW and LoL have monster monthly active user bases since the Chinese market inflates the numbers. In that country Steam is not ubiquitous with PC gaming like it is in the West.

PC vs console debates are always funny, they usually tend to spiral into a power debate when it should be about customizability and ease of use.

Its very simple.

For the first 2 years or so users who early adopt on consoles tend to have more powerful gaming systems than the vast majority PC players. But what does that matter? For the ‘smart’ PC players who care, they can ‘smartly’ ignore value and true price/performance and overspend on machines that produce similar quality graphics at framerates above 60.

PC lends power users customize games/settings/framerates with granular control to their liking.

Console gamers like a more consumer friendly ‘plug and play’ approach.

Even this gen, PCs have been getting easier to manage and consoles have had more patches and such but there is still a divide on the ease of use and plug and play.

For what its worth, I currently have a Ryzen 7, RTX 2060, PCIE4 SSD powered PC.

I plan on getting a PS5 in the launch window.

I will be buying PS5 exclusives and some 3rd party games there. I will be playing Xbox exclusives and most 3rd party on PC since that is where my gaming group plays.
Man shut the fukk up about %s then if its only opt in then most people probably aint opt in since like 2008 :camby:

steam aint even the most popular platform for games anymore :camby:

skewing numbers aint the wave

“Outside of China” nah mafukka Chinese play games as well, why you trying to exclude them :mjpls: cause it dont fit your failed narrative :camby:

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Cap.

pc games automatically adjust the settings to your computer specs since like 2015

Not every game works right out the box, some games still do configuring to work properly even past 2015. PC have their set of things that needed for maintenance as a cost of games being more configurable. Consoles use the same hardware and software.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Not every game works right out the box, some games still do configuring to work properly even past 2015. PC have their set of things that needed for maintenance as a cost of games being more configurable. Consoles use the same hardware and software.
Name a game thats came out since 2015 that you have to adjust settings after buying it

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Man shut the fukk up about %s then if its only opt in then most people probably aint opt in since like 2008 :camby:

steam aint even the most popular platform for games anymore :camby:

skewing numbers aint the wave

“Outside of China” nah mafukka Chinese play games as well, why you trying to exclude them :mjpls: cause it dont fit your failed narrative :camby:

I only brought that China stuff up because its disingenuous to make it seem like Steam isn’t ubiquitous with PC gaming.

China is out here with mining/grinding farms for those two types of games and then selling characters online. Them numbers aint real.

Numbers lie too.