Did you have a back to school ritual as a kid?

Did you have a back to school ritual?

• Yes, of course!

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No, my mom more or less sorted it out.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • My mom did most things,I had some responsibilities

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876

In Jamaica after the summer break and just before going back to school, your mom or grandma would put you through a back to school ritual. This includes, buying and wrapping your text books, collecting measurements for your school uniform to get made by a local lady, giving you a wash out detox tonic (usually home made) to cleanse your system from parasites. This may also include separate de worming medication. They also set your bed time earlier and earlier. Before finally putting you through grooming routines like barbers or hair dressers, and making you iron all your school uniforms/ clothes ready for the first day of school. Additionally doing more revision to bring you back up to speed before school starts. Don’t let her catch you watching tv!

What was your back to school ritual? Did you have to take a wash out tonic; or is that purely a West Indian thing?

giphy.gif

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
I'm Jamaican. My parents didn't do any of that shyt. I got get fresh school uniform and that was it.

Fill Collins

I like the one that says shum pulp
Daps
American here;

Until 8th grade, I'd go with my mom to pick out clothes and shoes a month before school started, my dad would take me to get a haircut the weekend before

Otherwise I was left alone unless I got less than a very, very high "C"

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
New York City
All though elementary up until 6th grade, I hated going back to school. I had no ritual. The days leading up to BTS gave me great anxiety :sadcam:

By the time I got to High School I enjoyed going BTS, I still didn't have a ritual.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, before the new school year towards the end of my school career, my mom would get me a new pair of sneakers.... and that pair would last me the whole school year as I didn't have multiple pairs of sneakers in rotation. By the end of the school year my sneakers was cooked :mjlol:

As you can tell I wasn't a fly kid nor did I get fresh in High School :manny: I didn't mind, its what my mom could afford.

Last edited:

Black White Sox Hat

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Never go on the 1st day.You never wear new clothes on the 1st day.Do something crazy like break your foot before school starts so you wearing a cast everyone can sign on the 1st day.Don’t ride the bus and get dropped off in your parents whip on the 1st day.You don’t bring your folders,paper and pencil on the 1st day.Don’t buy your books yet on the 1st day.Wear a chronic leaf t shirt on the 1st day.Get high with your friends before school on the 1st day.Get into a fight in the middle of class and get suspended on the 1st day.Get in a fight in the parking lot after school on the 1st day.Show up to the school after school after you’ve quit school on the 1st day.

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
I'm Jamaican. My parents didn't do any of that shyt. I got get fresh school uniform and that was it.
This was more a back in the day thing. I went to school in Jamaica in the 90s. Maybe you were one of the lucky ones. Lol

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Must be a West Indian ting. FBA we just go school shopping and dropped off to school. Got you going through a gauntlet :pachaha:
This…get some new clothes and school supplies, be excited to see your friends again (elementary) otherwise, you been hanging with your friends all summer (middle and high school) so back to school wasn’t that big a deal

Flexington

All Star
Daps
I imagined I was in beast wars landing on earth for the first time

Lay down in the full tub and let it drain, imagining I was getting a new form for the school year :ahh:

:troll:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Did you guys wrap your text books for preservation?
This was usually done at school same day or shortly after textbooks were handed out. We only did this a few years in elementary, otherwise we just had raggedy ass books in our public schools. If you went to private school, you had to buy your books so it was up to you if you wanted to make book covers or not.