Did the Chicago drill scene do anything positive for hip hop/the culture?

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Drill is not apart of hiphop and a derivative of bop or house.
Drill artist would be offended if you said they wre hiphop. As Chicago rego dudes think hiphop is associated with being soft.

Play around and say that if you want to their face.
see what happens in real time.

Art Barr

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
Typically, people revert to the lazy "these kids are making music to get themselves out the streets" if you ask...but even that wasn't the case. Them kids were letting bullets fly over tweets in real time.

if you were 14 at the time there is no way you couldn't have understood that literal children priding themselves in how they excelled at death wasn't cool.

Max Goonberg

Superstar
Daps
What trends did it start and what bullshyt did it let in?

Dissing the dead. Smoking opps. Disrespecting gravesites. Started young nikkas wanting to have enemies and being infatuated with killing other black kids.

Keeping score of murders and treating killing like a sport.

Whatever c Delores tucker and them old heads thought gangster rap was doing drill is worse.

Givethanks

Superstar
Daps
Dissing the dead. Smoking opps. Disrespecting gravesites. Started young nikkas wanting to have enemies and being infatuated with killing other black kids.

Whatever c Delores tucker and them old heads thought gangster rap was doing drill is worse.
My brother in Christ lol.

None of that is new to rap lol, drill rappers didn't start none for that lol.

That's a cop out

Ski Mask

Friendzone: Collection 1
Daps
Reppin
Vegas/seattle
As much as I enjoyed the music when I was younger I always felt it was weird how it blew up around the same time as BLM. Not on some conspiracy shyt, but it felt contradicting to scream that yet bump that kind of music.

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps

White boys in the reddits are making bets on their lives too

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hello no.

Drill music was never even meant for the masses to consume.

Seriously speaking, the fact that there are people from overseas that follow neighborhood gang beef between teenagers/early 20 somethings is wild to me.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
My brother in Christ lol.

None of that is new to rap lol, drill rappers didn't start none for that lol.

That's a cop out
Respectfully, I think your comment is a copout.

As one example of how things have spiraled out of control and gotten worse.......look up the music videos for some of the early acts that were making violent content.

At the end of Road to the Riches, G Rap goes to jail, as the "older man" finishes telling the young kid the story
At the end of High Rollers, Ice T has a gun pointed to his face (either by rivals or cops, I forget)
At the end of Money and the Power, Scarface gets the electric chair.

Labels had to present the content a certain way to show consequences for actions. Even Straight Outta Compton, they were shown getting arrested at the end.

The artists making the music would show the different sides of the game, including the legal repercussions.

Since that early era, it's gotten worse in terms of content and visuals promoted by artists and labels.
In Drill, it became directly gang war chronicles. With lyrics about actual people, crimes, incidents, and deaths.

Last edited: