Did the Black Community Just Get Played by Oprah?

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
It's hard for me to support the Black elite when Black issues are not one of their focal points.

I don't follow her, so pardon if she's secretly on the front lines. But until I hear about her taking a major role in building wealth for Black folks, she's just another entertainer to me.

The racism I have a problem with stunts the financial growth of Blacks. IMO, what Oprah experienced was prejudice, not racism. I give no fukks about a clerk not showing her an item because she thought she couldn't afford it. If Oprah & her ilk did more for the financial well being of their race, maybe folks wouldn't treat us like that. Maybe we'd be shopping at each other's stores.
Maybe if blacks do they own thing wholesale instead of waiting for the few that are successful like Oprah to always help maybe we would be in a better position overall. I'm not saying they shouldn't help (they should but not obligated) but its like some seem to be content just waiting/blaming others until they get help from that Oprah like person when we can definitely do things ourselves to improve our situations in this day and age.

BruhMayne

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
you pop shyt apologize, oprah
just ask swiss :huhldup:

tdjakes.gif

BezO

Highbrow
Daps
Reppin
NYC -> DC
but she gave her whole audience cars :troll:
Give a man a fish...
Maybe if blacks do they own thing wholesale instead of waiting for the few that are successful like Oprah to always help maybe we would be in a better position overall. I'm not saying they shouldn't help (they should but not obligated) but its like some seem to be content just waiting/blaming others until they get help from that Oprah like person when we can definitely do things ourselves to improve our situations in this day and age.
If it were that easy, we'd all be rich. There are some hard working folks. Most Black folks are at a job, busting their ass right now.

Knowing how to make money is a skill most don't have. And the system is designed to keep that info from the masses.

What most folks know is how to go to school, to gain skills to get a job. Unless you're a top executive, or one of the best at what you do, you're not getting wealthy with a job. If you're from the hood, your local schools suck (schools are funded by local property taxes). Your edcuation is likely poor, leading you to less than desireable advanced education, leading to less than desireable jobs, having & raising kids that will run the same cycle.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Give a man a fish...

If it were that easy, we'd all be rich. There are some hard working folks. Most Black folks are at a job, busting their ass right now.

Knowing how to make money is a skill most don't have. And the system is designed to keep that info from the masses.

What most folks know is how to go to school, to gain skills to get a job. Unless you're a top executive, or one of the best at what you do, you're not getting wealthy with a job. If you're from the hood, your local schools suck (schools are funded by local property taxes). Your edcuation is likely poor, leading you to less than desireable advanced education, leading to less than desireable jobs, having & raising kids that will run the same cycle.
Never said its easy but its not THAT hard where we can't make it in this day and age. We can make money in ways that were never available before mainly CPU tech. Saying money making is a skill most don't have is true but its not like you can't learn it or there or no ways to learn it. If people want or have to do something they usually get on it so I feel people need to take this mindset with regards to getting money now. Not just black people but since we are talking about backs right now I'm focusing on that. I'm a believer there is really no excuses to not be productive in whatever way you want to. I agree with the stuff you are saying too but I think you can see other successful people even if your not surrounded by them. That alone makes excuses at some point just crutches imo.

killacal

Banned
Daps
Theres NO billionaire on this planet that would have accepted that level of disrespect and then apologize to the country of Switzerland for bringing it up :laugh:
Shes clearly c00ning it up so white folks watch her dumb ass c00n fest of a movie. :smh:

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
Fukk this thread...the more reasonable explanation is that like millions of other black American's she's pissed about Trayvon Martin. If ya'll havent been noticing, she's been going hard as a maufukka over this, comparing Trayvon to Emmitt Till, and saying that the institutional and social reaction to his death from white America was Jim Crow re-lived.

Maybe in the past she might have let this slide, but her initial reaction was hell naw, bytch you racist ---- fukk you. She backtracking, because white people are acting ravenous towards black people Lord knows Ive been a major critic of Oprah over the years, and her new film looks shameful, but its not like shes been on some Jesse Lee Peterson hype all these years or somethin. I can disagree with some of her actions and material, w/o being cynical about everything she does.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
IMO, the black community (if there is such a thing) has more important things to worry about than Oprah being told she couldn't afford a handbag.

:manny:
Umm this and quit telling people how to spend their fukking money. Half of yall would be pissed if someone told you how to spend $20.