"Devotion" Black Fighter Pilot film with Jonathan Majors & Glen Powell

invincible1914

G.O.M.A.B.
Daps
Reppin
LSU, Saints, Alcorn, VCU
Even though the movie didn’t do well (why release it so close to Top Gun) I enjoyed the movie. I’m glad they brought this story to the big screen. Johnny Majors was really impressive. I wonder what he’s working on next.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Even though the movie didn’t do well (why release it so close to Top Gun) I enjoyed the movie. I’m glad they brought this story to the big screen. Johnny Majors was really impressive. I wonder what he’s working on next.
He has Creed 3, Antman 3, and Magazine Dreams for 2023...you've never seen the trailers for the first 2?

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
(why release it so close to Top Gun) I enjoyed the movie. I’m glad they brought this story to the big screen. Johnny Majors was really impressive. I wonder what he’s working on next.
Top Gun and Devotion released 6 months apart.

But now that I think of it, I can’t remember any promo for it. I think only knew of it from seeing a trailer while watching BP2 (which is great promo in itself).

Between The Harder They Fall, Devotion, Lovecraft Country, Last Black Man in San Fran, and Da 5 Bloods….he has a really great early catalog and knows how to pick his roles.

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
Didn't even know this movie came out. Will try to watch it before it leaves theaters.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
But now that I think of it, I can’t remember any promo for it. I think only knew of it from seeing a trailer while watching BP2
Yeah all I saw where trailers in film, and it was pretty sparse at that.

I think it played in front of BP2, TG, and like one other film I saw before relese

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Top Gun and Devotion released 6 months apart.

But now that I think of it, I can’t remember any promo for it. I think only knew of it from seeing a trailer while watching BP2 (which is great promo in itself).

Between The Harder They Fall, Devotion, Lovecraft Country, Last Black Man in San Fran, and Da 5 Bloods….he has a really great early catalog and knows how to pick his roles.

facts

Htrb-nvr-blk-&-ug-as-evr

Black and not crackin’
Supporter
Daps
Kinda interesting that this movie was financed ($90M) by the owner of FedEx, Fred Smith because he thought Jesse Brown deserved more recognition. He’s launched a project to locate Jesse Brown’s remains and give him a proper burial at Arlington National Cemetery next to Tom Hudner.

Film helps renew search for 1st Black Navy pilot’s remains​

By THALIA BEATYJanuary 11, 2023

FILE - This circa 1950 photo provided by the U.S. Navy shows Jesse Brown in the cockpit of an F4U-4 Corsair fighter at an unidentified location. In December 2022, FedEx founder Fred Smith gifted the proceeds from the film “Devotion,” which he financed, that tells the story of groundbreaking Naval aviators Brown and Thomas Hudner. The proceeds will fund in part scholarships for the children of Navy service members studying STEM. (U.S Navy via AP, File)

ADVERTISEMENT

The film “Devotion” reignited efforts to repatriate the remains of Jesse Brown, America’s first Black Navy pilot, who died in 1950 after having to crash land his damaged plane during the Korean War.
Fred Smith, the founder of Memphis-based FedEx, financed the film about Brown because he thought Brown deserved wider recognition, a feeling his surviving relatives share, and lobbied the Trump administration to support the search efforts after consulting with Brown’s daughter, Pamela.
“I’m still determined to try to get Jesse Brown home and put him where he ought to be in Arlington (National Cemetery),” Smith said. “Among the other heroes of the republic next to his wingman, Tom Hudner.”
Smith’s daughters, Rachel and Molly, who produced the film, met members of Brown’s family at the 2018 funeral of Hudner, who received the Medal of Honor after attempting to rescue Brown. Hudner returned to North Koreain 2013 in an attempt to locate Brown’s remains, but was unsuccessful.
ADVERTISEMENT

Jessica Knight Henry, Brown’s granddaughter, said attending Hudner’s funeral at Arlington solidified her grandmother’s desire to have her husband’s remains interred in Arlington.
“He’s never had a full sort of burial with that with the pomp and circumstance that that we think is worthy of what his contribution is to this country” Knight Henry said, speaking from Washington.

PHILANTHROPY

Brown grew up in Mississippi, the son of sharecroppers, and succeeded in qualifying to be a pilot in the Navy, despite his training officer refusing to pin on his wings — just one of many racist insults and hurdles he overcame.
Smith has donated “Devotion”’s proceeds, in part, to endow a new scholarship fund, the Brown Hudner Navy Scholarship Foundation, for the children of Navy service members pursuing studies in STEM.
“Mr. Smith spent an incredible amount of money imaging the area where we think that my grandfather’s remains are,” said Knight Henry, adding that her family has worked with different agencies and groups to maximize any potential opportunity to get answers.
More than 7,500 American military personnelremain unaccounted for in the Korean War, according to the government agency that tracks prisoners of war and those missing in action.