Dee Rees film "Mudbound"starring Jason Mitchell a hit at Sundance. Sold to Netflix for 12.5 mil

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
Yeah but he did it in a sleazy selling crack to the....I mean practically taking a slave role where you know there will be a white saviour. What is it about this guy that has such a vice grip on ppl, he checked every stereotypical box in Detroit. He was like a black character out of the walking dead in Kong. Now he's doing this slave like role

Scust

Main reason I had zero interest in seeing Detroit or this

I'm glad John Beyoga movin, too

I hope they branch away from slave, racial and hood roles...

...dammit, what else is their for black actors that aren't Denzel or Will :snoop:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Good stuff. But alot of us tired of only seeing black people in race films. What about action etc?

I agree hollywood is such a joke. I however would love to see a movie on fred hampton and the making of spook who slept by the door (similar to Baadasssss)

B!tchuoffendingme

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GTA
I like that this movie gets into the way White society treated Black vets. Black men went overseas and fought against Nazi tyranny only to be subject to racist abuse once they came back home. White supremacists have the unyielding fukking temerity to call Black people "ungrateful" when their racist great-grandparents were hanging Black veterans from a tree for not being sufficiently submissive. fukking animals.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Saw this last night. I liked it 9/10. It really took all the romance out of war, marriage and the American dream. Really brought home the fact that war is hell for the participants, getting married just because you're supposed to is really stupid and America's legacy really is one of racism and hypocrisy. And more specifically living in rural Mississippi in the 1940s was a real shytty existence for everyone. The ending was a bit of a cop-out but that's my only complaint.
All the players did their thing but the stand out was my main niqqa on the trigga Turk from the Marvel Netflix series, Rob Morgan! He killed it! Great performance. He just shot up the list of my favorite Black male actors.
Garrett Hedlund did the damn thing to. I barely recognized him from his previous performances.
And Mary J. Blige has a surprisingly big part. She was probably the worst out there but at the same time she was competent and didn't stick out as a non-actor.
Everyone else gives good performances but nothing mindblowing. This is Rob Morgan and Garrett Hedlund's movie.

Last edited:

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
This movie is fukken terrible. I was expecting a drama, not a depressing scenes after depressing scenes.

Honestly this is the kind of shyt, that liberal white folk love watching. Black folk suffering.

Also a white woman wrote the book this movie is based on.
Let us just say, it explains certain things in the movie. :sas2:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
This movie is fukken terrible. I was expecting a drama, not a depressing scenes after depressing scenes.

Honestly this is the kind of shyt, that liberal white folk love watching. Black folk suffering.

Well to be fair, the misery was spread to the entire cast, not just the Black people.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I mean, shyt was depressing at that time so it was accurate. That's actually what I liked about the movie, didn't over dramatize anything, just had a cold, matter of fact approach to everything and was more impactful as a result imo. Would be stupid to turn it into some melodrama with cliched lines and music.

I'm really not sure if this will get any Oscar love though as it doesn't really play to Oscar voter sensibilities despite the subject matter.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Well to be fair, the misery was spread to the entire cast, not just the Black people.

Cac Alert.

fukk I care about the white people in this fukken movie. :childplease:

The white people had choices and money.

The white husband wanted to leave his suburban life to live on a fukken farm? For what?
His dumb ass got swindled, not my fault he was stupid as fukk.

His wife was a god damn trollop, why did she marry him when she was lusting after his brother?
The white side of this story made no damn sense.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
I got bored after 40 mins and turned it off. In terms of filmmaking nothing is bad but nothing is good. It's just...there.