Dead Space had a shot to be the next great survival horror game

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
I hate horror games, but Dead Space was a fukking classic game.

I just got Dead Space 2 off Prime Gaming for free. Might replay 1 and then play 2 for the first time this weekend.

Tair

Superstar
Daps
I enjoy horrors like Silent Hill 1-4

I haven't played a horror that matches the atmosphere and story-telling of Silent Hill.

Dead Space 1 was good but in Dead Space 2 they changed the formula a bit and was going down a more action route than I liked. I hate those types of games. You're supposed to be a regular man, but not in these modern "horrors". You start taking out hordes of enemies, knowing how to use every type of firearm accurately, and just becoming a 1-man army. It's dumb and takes the fun out of it imo.

A horror game like Silent Hill 2 with tougher puzzles, tougher enemies, better movement system, and no difficulty option, would be perfect.
:ohlawd:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
The original Dead Space is one of my all-time favorite games. Like others have said, the second one did not do it for me. It was a well made game but the pure action focus took away any horror elements.

With the remake, they better stick to the horror roots.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
The problem with survival horror sequels is that it's hard to make it seem like it's not the same game all over again without adding new gameplay features and that usually means the combat gets better. The better the combat the more action-oriented it becomes or the easier it becomes, which leads to it not being as scary. Which usually means the first horror game in a series is usually the best. Outside of re of course

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol: I think a great comparison would be Dead Space 1 was Alien and Dead Space 2 was Aliens (2). First one was survival horror and the second was action suspense.

CodeKansas

Superstar
Daps
Completely and totally EA's fault. :pacspit:

Dead Space 1 >>>>> RE4, and that's a hill I'll happily die and become a Necromorph on. :ufdup:

Roger king

Superstar
Daps
The first two especially the first one was so amazing. The quality dropped way below from there

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
I last played it in 2011 and couldn't finish it... shyt was beyond scary. And I wasn't even playing with headphones...

Yep. Yall nikkas different, I can't play scary games to save my life. :francis:

Hell, my ass be crouching and sneaking around in Fallout games shook as fukk :francis:

Tryna Makit

High plains drifter
Daps
I think DeadSpace 2 was the best balance of survival and action

I liked DeadSpace 1 but it wasn't fun to me, some of those horror moments just felt like cheap ways to make you helpless against the enemies while in pt 2 I at least felt like i had a chance to inflict some punishment instead of running away all the damn time........... especially when the controls make running away clunky and slow :martin:

Blankthawtz

90-9-1 Principle
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Land of fukkery
Dead Space 3 dropped the ball hard first 2 was legendary and EA fukked up as usual...:scust:

I have to agree with this.....as a hard core Dead Space fanatic i was highly disappointed by what they did this this beautiful game in part 3.....they basically turned it into a third person shooter game.....but never the less I was looking forward to a 4th.....I miss Isaac (pause) and the potential they had with his story....I had to give up on the dream of a 4th installment.....this Callisto Protocol game better do Dead Space justice....:ufdup:

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
Speaking of games from this era, when are they gonna do another BioShock? just heard netflix is adapting a movie from the series. Used to love gaming to both of these games.