Dark Side Of The Ring Producer Details How Social Media Has Hurt Wrestling

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
In an interview with Under the Ring (via Wrestling Inc), Dark Side of the Ring producer Evan Husney spoke about his belief that social media has had a negative influence on the wrestling industry.

He said: “The social media era, I think, has been bad for wrestling in general. It’s taken a lot of the magic away, I think, from wrestling. But I do think there are habits — there are better habits — that most of the wrestlers are into now. I think the fact that, for example, cannabis is more accepted as a good thing in wrestling, where there [are] alternative ways to combat pain than there ever [has] been. I think that is better generally.” While our modern culture has had some benefit on wrestlers, Husney still thinks the change in fan perspective has altered wrestling into something else. Fans are fixated so much on the decisions of the people behind the scenes writing these storylines than they are losing themselves in the wrestling, which is what the whole point is. But also the writers aren’t doing a very good job of letting us lose ourselves in the magic of wrestling either, you know? So it’s become this very meta, weird exercise that I don’t quite understand, and it doesn’t feel right to me. It feels like something new. It feels like we’re squabbling over the way things are presented. … It’s just a weird metric that people are evaluating wrestling [by] today that actually has nothing to do with the wrestling.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
He's not exactly wrong but I wouldn't say social media per se, moreso modern smark culture where everyone is fan of the performers as opposed to the characters and everyone has to have a belt.
How's that any different than people having favorite actors and actresses?

Hey_zeus

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Wrestling is still insulting its fanbase's intelligence overall. I think SM allows those holes in the product to be isolated and dissected but the audience sees those issues anyway largely. Rasslin tv format and production still resembles the template Nitro created almost 30 years ago. What other tv production can just rest on its laurels perpetually and expect growth? There has to be true disruption in the industry from a format, production, and philosophy standpoint. Lucha Underground was at least a step in the right direction of a true alternative kinda working. Need more and new directions.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Wrestling is still insulting its fanbase's intelligence overall. I think SM allows those holes in the product to be isolated and dissected but the audience sees those issues anyway largely. Rasslin tv format and production still resembles the template Nitro created almost 30 years ago. What other tv production can just rest on its laurels perpetually and expect growth? There has to be true disruption in the industry from a format, production, and philosophy standpoint. Lucha Underground was at least a step in the right direction of a true alternative kinda working. Need more and new directions.
The more cinematic approach is tougher to do in a WWE/AEW type format. LU made it work on a seasonal smaller scale almost exclusively as a studio show because they would film a month’s worth of episodes in one weekend. But don’t think it’s sustainable/feasible when the show has to be on the road 52 weeks a year with a larger live audience.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
The tribalism more than the smark stuff has ruined it. Even people in the business will sell themselves as people on different sides grifting over it cause there's money in going to whoever raffirms your position
People having to constantly shyt on everything they don’t think is amazing doesn’t help either. Which a lot of us including myself are to blame for that.

Hey_zeus

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
The more cinematic approach is tougher to do in a WWE/AEW type format. LU made it work on a seasonal smaller scale almost exclusively as a studio show because they would film a month’s worth of episodes in one weekend. But don’t think it’s sustainable/feasible when the show has to be on the road 52 weeks a year with a larger live audience.
Cinematic is just one route. Somebody needs to go old school Watts like approach where everything made sense on his show. Even that would be disruptive. It's a million ways to skin this rasslin cat but we only bet it one way.