Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (PC, PS4, Vita)

Daps
http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/4/8147871/danganronpa-3-development-early-stages

Spike Chunsoft is working on the third main entry of its murder mystery role-playing sim series, Danganronpa, but nothing in the new title is "really set in stone," writer Kodaka Kazutaka told Polygon via translator.

In Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc and its sequel, Goodbye Despair, players assume the role of a high school student trapped in a closed-room scenario. Characters are given the chance to escape by committing murder, but only if they can get away with it; to be caught is to be executed.

Speaking about his process, Kazutaka said that it's common for the game's story and its characters to change several times.

"Until everything's been written, there's nothing that's set," Kazutaka said. "So to answer your question, it's still very early because the scenario isn't written yet."

While both main games have included similar setups — being trapped in a school or on an island, respectively — the series itself has expanded. Spinoff title Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls, for example, is more of an action-adventure game. While it's possible that Danganronpa 3 could play out in a similar fashion to its predecessor, Kazutaka said fans have been vocal about wanting something different. That includes ditching a new story and focusing on the series' overall narrative.

"It's pretty much split in the middle in Japan," Kazutaka said. "Half of them want to continue with [a] small group and what happens within there, and the other half wants more of the bigger story."

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc and Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair were released in the U.S. last year; the third game hasn't been announced for a Western release yet. A representative for publisher NIS America told Polygon, "We'd love to do it if we had the opportunity to."

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Great to hear, still waiting on zero escape third game:mjcry:

Daps

mainvisual1.jpg
mainvisual2.jpg

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This review worries me. Then again everyone seems to think Zero Time Dilemma is a turd but I enjoyed it even if it wasn't as good as the other games.

Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
The unusual lack of relatability in V3's cast would have been my greatest criticism of its story.

It would have been—before Case 6 revealed that V3 was saving its greatest lie for last. Kazutaka Kodaka is thorough as ever in his mission to wrap his trail of murders around a giant central theme that redefines everything in hindsight. Danganronpa 1 challenged the idea of espousing hope in the face of absolute despair. Danganronpa 2 challenged the idea of living for the future when you feel fatally bound to your past. But Danganronpa V3 makes all of these conflicts look like a cakewalk by challenging the very idea of truth itself in a world dominated by the need for lies—lies like "never lose hope" or "the future is always open", for example. Everything you thought you loved or hated about the game's first 90% could be totally flipped and rewritten by its final hours.

I'll be blunt: the finale to Danganronpa V3 is going to cause an absolute uproar, a wildfire in Danganronpafandom that might not die down for a long time. It stands among the most ballsy conclusions to a franchise I have ever seen in any medium. (That's not to say Danganronpa as a whole will end with V3, but it certainly could.) It is so outrageous that I had to break my own personal policy of not writing in first person to tell you how outrageous it is. I know that sounds hyperbolic, so I wish I could defend this assertion with more concrete details, but I couldn't bear to do so. This ending is so important to how you will personally process everything leading up to it that spoilers will ruin Danganronpa V3 for you. Now I'm a firm believer that spoilers can't ruin most good stories, even the twist-driven mysteries spun by Danganronpa 1 and 2. The journey matters more than the destination, spoilers are overemphasized in entertainment discourse, blah blah blah, but no, this is a rare exception: Spoilers Will Ruin Danganronpa V3 For You. I know the curiosity can be overwhelming with this much hype, but you might not be able to even enjoy this game if you know how it ends early on, so avoid as much information as possible.

This might make it sound as if the ending is some kind of disaster, so I should clarify that I think it's absolutely brilliant. If you're a fan of Danganronpa because you like to see its creator push himself to his limits and hold nothing back, you will find this game rewarding on some level. However, creative decisions this fearless are guaranteed to be divisive, and I completely sympathize with the various arguments against this ending that are bound to crop up. The most spoiler-free way that I can sum it up is that the previous Danganronpa games made me want to replay them as soon as they were over. For Danganronpa V3, I won't feel ready to replay it again for a long time, and that's coming from someone who loved its ending.

I know the feeling he's talking about when you complete something and you enjoy it but at the same time you feel like I might never do this again. I felt that way about Metal Gear Solid 4. I loved the experience, It was one of my favorite experiences in gaming of all time but I will honestly never touch that game again. My entire enjoyment of that experience was based on the fact that I had never experienced it and was doing so for the first time. I could never play that game again because to me it was completely disposable entertainment and replaying it would probably tarnish my memories of it because even I know it's a shyt game. Once you remove the novelty of not knowing what happens next by the time you get to act 3 the gameplay falls apart and there's nothing left to hold it up.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
This review worries me. Then again everyone seems to think Zero Time Dilemma is a turd but I enjoyed it even if it wasn't as good as the other games.

I know the feeling he's talking about when you complete something and you enjoy it but at the same time you feel like I might never do this again. I felt that way about Metal Gear Solid 4. I loved the experience, It was one of my favorite experiences in gaming of all time but I will honestly never touch that game again. My entire enjoyment of that experience was based on the fact that I had never experienced it and was doing so for the first time. I could never play that game again because to me it was completely disposable entertainment and replaying it would probably tarnish my memories of it because even I know it's a shyt game. Once you remove the novelty of not knowing what happens next by the time you get to act 3 the gameplay falls apart and there's nothing left to hold it up.
Have you played the demo?

I'm playing right now and the voice audio is awful. Sounds fuzzy and I can barely hear shyt.

Glad we got a female protagonist in this one though.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

guess I'll be playing this tonight :blessed:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Have you played the demo?

I'm playing right now and the voice audio is awful. Sounds fuzzy and I can barely hear shyt.

Glad we got a female protagonist in this one though.
I didn't. I played the previous games so I didn't bother with the demo for this one.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I didn't. I played the previous games so I didn't bother with the demo for this one.
Its more than just teaching you how to play or just the first chapter like a regular demo, the demo is kind of a standalone preview that is unique from the main game. It's basically it's own prequel story chapter

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Its more than just teaching you how to play or just the first chapter like a regular demo, the demo is kind of a standalone preview that is unique from the main game. It's basically it's own prequel story chapter
Yeah the demo had extra content unlocked in the full game. Oh well I'm already playing.

These monocubs are weird and one of them keeps saying "got a rock hard rager"

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I reached the first class trial and I don't know who did it. Might be screwed here.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Just finished the first case. I have no words. I can't believe this is happening. I don't know how to feel about this.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I'll post in this thread 40 hours later. I cannot take any spoilers.
I can't imagine a plot twist more devastating to me than case 1 but I hear the main twist of the game is far worse.

I just get attached to some of the characters in this game and don't want them to be the killer or get killed. I liked the victim and blackened of chapter 1 so it was a rough chapter.