Craig Mack was gonna be the first artist on Deathrow East

H.J.Duck

Superstar
Daps
Ain't no rumor he 100% dissed Pac on a freestyle with Ja Rule back in 1996. It was the same last verse as Get At Me Dog but he took out K-Solo's name and said 2Pac and dissed the west coast

But Suge had tried to sign X around 1994-1995

X has always had some weird unreasonable hatred for west coast. Outside of him doing the intro & outro on Game's LAX I'm not sure if he has ever worked with a west coast artist.. plus there was this:

Q: What’s the difference, if any, between East Coast hip-hop and West Coast hip-hop?

A: Talent.

A: You know, there’s talented rappers everywhere, and one West Coast rapper who I like and respect is Game, because to me, he has a New York style.

But I don’t like a lot of West Coast rappers. West Coast rap is too laid back, too focused on marijuana with all the blunts and lowriders. There’s nothing honest. There’s no trouble in it, you know? There’s no hardship in it. Everyone in L.A. that raps has a lowrider and a fat blunt. Back here in New York, we’re still walkin’ and still smokin’ dirt, you know? There’s no hardship in their rap, there’s nothin’ to make you say, “I can relate to that.”

I mean him saying "there's no trouble in it" or "there's no hardship" can somewhat be explained by X being a crackhead, but obviously he's hated west coast since the mid90s for some reason :manny:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
X has always had some weird unreasonable hatred for west coast. Outside of him doing the intro & outro on Game's LAX I'm not sure if he has ever worked with a west coast artist.. plus there was this:

I mean him saying "there's no trouble in it" or "there's no hardship" can somewhat be explained by X being a crackhead, but obviously he's hated west coast since the mid90s for some reason :manny:

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Naw, it was the Fruit of Islam
His lawyers said that he had connections, but wouldn't say what kind, that could provide top notch security for the injured rap star

^ why did pac have beef or not like the nation of islam if they held him down while he recovered

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps

I mean him saying "there's no trouble in it" or "there's no hardship" can somewhat be explained by X being a crackhead, but obviously he's hated west coast since the mid90s for some reason

I see what hes TRYING to say tho.

TheRtist

Superstar
Daps
Obviously same track/sample/producer...

but Pac nor Snoop didn't write that hook or Mack's rhymes...

Choosing that beat and rapping that hook over that beat is a form of songwriting

Even tho Mack did his own verses... Pac can get production or songwriting credit for laying the foundation.

This is a form of ghostwriting, the more respectful iteration... especially since Mack recited the hook Pac wrote.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Yep Snoop & Pac ghostwrote for Craig Mack..listen to the Johnny J beat and the hook

ehh

its just a sample breh.

neither song flipped the beat or hook at all. theyre both just standard remakes. I don't know the story behind the making of these songs, but two artists that never even heard of each other, could've each sampled this track and got the same exact results regarding the beat & hook.

btw, craig mack's version is better than the pac/snoop version.

Last edited:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Choosing that beat and rapping that hook over that beat is a form of songwriting

Even tho Mack did his own verses... Pac can get production or songwriting credit for laying the foundation.

This is a form of ghostwriting, the more respectful iteration... especially since Mack recited the hook Pac wrote.

:what: yeah... Pac wrote the hook for Diana Ross at age 5, breh... you got it.

ahdsend

Superstar
Daps
yea craig mack was at 662 when pac got shot... :whoo:

Riskie - Pt. 3

First stop was the Mirage. We hung out there, saw the white tigers and headed out to our room. Most of the Death Row entourage was staying at the Luxor hotel but we had gone late and had to get rooms the other side of town. We crashed out, getting up at 1pm, met up to eat and headed out to hang out til it was time to hit up Club 662. We ended up at the MGM Grand. It was late afternoon. Greg and I were playing at a crap table. I looked up and saw Suge, Tupac and the whole entourage coming our way. We said, "What’s up"’ to everyone. That was it. We couldn’t leave the table and everyone was moving in a hurry. We played the tables for another hour before returning to the hotel to chill out and watch the fight.

Then we hit Club 662. It was packed. I’d never been here before so I was kind of excited from hearing all the stories from the big homies from the neighborhood. There were large pictures of every Death Row artist on the walls. I can’t say I fell in love with the Pepto-bismol pink walls but the atmosphere was electric. Run DMC were going to be performing that night.

Around 11pm, the club was live but still no Suge or Pac and Run DMC was about to go on. I saw Low from OFTB (a rap group from Watts signed to Death Row). We talked for a minute, took some photos and watched Run DMC perform.

After the performance, word went round that there had been a shooting and Pac and Suge were involved. I didn’t know what to think or believe. I saw nothing with no proof. Everything was merely speculation to me. All I knew was there was still no Suge or Pac to be seen. I was used to them always showing up late. Then suddenly there was a surprise. Everybody in Club 662 just went into shock when Craig Mack hit the stage saying he was no longer affiliated with Bad Boy and that his new label was Death Row. The night went on. Everyone was confused and people started to leave the club. Suge and Pac never showed. What the hell was that about? Greg and I left about 2.30am.

When we got to our room, it was around 3.30am. I grabbed the TV remote control. There on the TV all the speculations, rumours and talk had just been confirmed on every channel. Greg and I looked on hysterically to hear that Suge and Pac had been involved in a drive-by shooting while in their convoy. Our phone calls gave no answers so we crashed, being woken early next morning by Papa G telling us we needed to return to LA as soon as possible for damage control. Everybody was going up to the hospital. We decided not to and made our way to LA before traffic hit.

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
source-september-1996-84_2.jpg

I remember in the cover article of this September 1996 The Source issue they were at a Death Row party with Suge and they mentioned Craig Mack was there and Suge said he was the first artist on Death Row East and would be followed by K-Solo, who was there via Sam Sneed. Crazy how this issue dropped a few weeks before Pac was killed.
There’s Not Much To Show For K-Solo’s Time On Death Row…Except This Rare Freestyle With Kurupt (Audio)

That was the first issue I bought for myself. Read a few in the stands and a few of the homies copies before that but I copped that one for some reason.