Craig Mack Nearly Signed With Death Row After Bad Boy Album Was Shelved

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Craig Mack was so desperate to get out of his Bad Boy deal in the mid-90s, that he considered signing with the imprint’s West Coast rival, Death Row Records, a new report claims.

In a detailed feature about the “Flava In Ya Ear” rapper, Rolling Stone spoke to his family about his final days at the label he essentially put on the map. Per the outlet’s findings, initially filed for bankruptcy to get out of his deal after his sophomore album, Operation: Get Down.

In the midst of the legal procedure, Craig Mack reportedly took a meeting with Suge Knight, who eventually flew him out to Los Angeles, and offered him a $1.25 million recording budget and a $200,ooo advance.

However, once Diddy caught wind of the proposed deal, Mack was reportedly forced to abandon his bankruptcy claim and essentially buy out his Bad Boy contract in order to walk away. Once 2Pac was killed in September 1996, however, Craig Mack had a change of heart.

According to the rapper’s ex-wife Roxanne Alexis Hill Johnson, even with the proposed deal off the table, Diddy’s anger over the perceived betrayal did not subside.

“Puff was pissed [Mack was] leaving Bad Boy and the fact that he was going to go with Suge,” she said, adding that her ex-husband was afraid of his former boss. “From what I understand, Puff was enraged. Puffy became a vindictive b*stard and really stuck it to him for doing that.”

In 2012, Craig Mack officially retired from mainstream music. He went on to join a religious cult in South Carolina called Overcomer Ministry, and remained a member of the organization until he died of congestive heart failure in 2018.

Hill-Johnson remains convinced that Diddy somehow sabotaged Craig Mack’s career and was the catalyst to his downfall.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
MsWSWOsHHPeCb5aFBhGXYRJq73ZofKcM8tGmNfqF3_4.gif

yeah fukkin right :mjlol:

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Technically, he did.

Craig’s second album (the one with “Jockin’ My Style” on it) was released on Street Life/Scotti Bros. Records…
and the executive producer was Eric B.
The only other artist I know to release off that label was Sweet Sable (from the Above The Rim Soundtrack).

I’m guessing here - but the way it appears to me, Street Life was eventually going to evolve into “Death Row East”,
but they was doing it on The Low until they had all their pieces in play.

Fun fact - Craig performed at Club 662 in Vegas while Pac was still alive

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
July 1997 issue of Rap Sheet(KRS One front cover with Crack Mack on the back cover). This was discussed in that article. I just grabbed it off the shelf and took a pic.
craig-mack-rap-sheet.jpg