Court Documents Confirm Xbox One Sold Less Than Half PS4 Numbers

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Did you buy an Xbox one?

A high-profile case is ongoing in Brazil, as Microsoft attempts to defend its Activision Blizzard acquisition from CADE, the Brazilian competition authority. Official court documents have revealed a lot of juicy details so far. The latest court papers from Microsoft have confirmed that the Xbox One sold less than half of Sony’s PlayStation 4 throughout its lifetime.

Microsoft has been refusing to release console sales information since 2015, claiming it isn’t the “key metric of success” they like to focus on. Microsoft prefers to focus on engagement, a key factor for the creation of the Xbox Game Pass. The hesitation to release sales figures never stopped business analysts from coming up with some accurate estimations of sales. Ampere Analysis data predicted 51 million sales of the Xbox One line of consoles in 2020, and it appears they were right.

The information can be found on page 18 of the Microsoft court papers dated Aug. 9, 2022. The translated line reads “Sony has surpassed Microsoft in terms of console sales and install base, having sold more than twice as many [than] Xbox in the last generation”, from a rough Google translation. A member of GameLuster staff who can read Spanish was able to partially read the Portuguese, and concurs with this translation.

Sony recently released their final PS4 sales figures, confirming 117.2 million sales of the console line, making it the second biggest home console of all time. This means the Xbox One consoles must have sold less than approximately 58.5 million units, which is in line with former industry analysts predictions. This places the Xbox One right below the NES, and just above the SNES.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I thought it was known that PS4 nearly outsold it 3:1. Anyways, I was a sucker that bought the console 3 times with the XB1 VCR, One S, and One X. The VCR console paired with kinect really did them in

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I thought it was known that PS4 nearly outsold it 3:1. Anyways, I was a sucker that bought the console 3 times with the XB1 VCR, One S, and One X. The VCR console paired with kinect really did them in

I don’t think Microsoft ever officially reported their numbers

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
Yea I bought an Xbox One over the PS4. At the time I think it was because it had better media features although I can't really remember. The only consoles I currently own now are the PS3 and Xbox One. I'm PC full time now.

But this is where Microsoft was always going to sit. The 7th generation was a result of dropping a year earlier and being cheaper. Sony was tripping with them prices. Multiplatform games also generally performed better on the Xbox 360 as well due to a better utilization of it's memory and easier to develop for processor. The original Xbox only did 24m and Sony eventually caught up with the Microsoft in the 7th generation. It also didn't help that Microsoft completly fumbled the bag with the Xbox One's release. Don Mattrick a fukkup.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I don’t think Microsoft ever officially reported their numbers
Yeah, I think they got beaten so bad early that gen they refused to report any numbers for the number of consoles sold or even copies of games they've sold. I think the only thing they'll report these days is how many users played a game.

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
Yea I had an Xbox one. Bought it when they had the crazy bundle deals going. Played it a few times. Wasn’t a bad system just some of the exclusives I thought were coming either didn’t come or did but didn’t stay exclusive.

I sold it a couple years ago with games and controllers for like 150

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Bought it only for gears and halo and both of em were a disappointment. Won’t be buying a ms console day one for a long time.