Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
If Cosmo Had More Black Employees, Things Like This Wouldn't Happen
Thursday, April 02, 20153 comments
beauty trends that need to die back in January. Somehow no one on staff caught that pictures of Black women with brown skin were only used illustrate the tacky trends—though Nicole Richie was used an example of a celebrity who got it right.

When screenshots hit social media, the backlash was swift. Using Black and Brown girls, almost exclusively, as examples of what beautyphiles should not do, sends a strong message to those who are used to mainstream media invalidating our beauty or erasing our presence

Folks who have no experience with marginalization would never see it, and this piece was likely not the result of malice on the part of the writer and editor responsible. That does not, however, mean that Cosmopolitan is not responsible for this clear display of implicit bias. Unconscious bias is still racism that perpetuates a harmful status quo.

You know what could have saved Cosmo here? More Black employees. Cosmopolitan and the rest of these mainstream publications must diversify their staff from the top down or expect to have their names and reputations dragged with regularity.

They had it coming, and they deserve it.

cosmobadlook.png

http://www.mycoloures.com/2015/04/if-cosmo-had-more-black-employees.html

Tupac in a Business Suit

Middle aged....Middle paid
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem via Brooklyn
And people wonder why we need #blackgirlsrock
Indeed. The title of the article should read that black women need to patronize their own publications that cater to them and not wonder how things would appear if there were more black women working for Cosmo.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
You know, the question has to arise where you ask yourself "Do I judge what is beautiful by my own standards or others?"

who gives a flying fukk what a magazine determines is beautiful? I date the women that I find attractive to my tastes, I have dated African-American, Vietnamese, Puerto Rican, Mexican, Cuban, Bi-racial, Trinidadian, African and I could give a flying fukk less what some dumb ass magazine that is fukking based on aesthetics of the female rather than the actual quality of her character has to say about what is and isn't beauty.

You dudes better begin living your lives and stop allowing books, movies, television and other media control for you what is beautiful.

fukking sheep.

LadySimone

Banned
Daps
Indeed. The title of the article should read that black women need to patronize their own publications that cater to them and not wonder how things would appear if there were more black women working for Cosmo.

There are a lot of Asian AMerican women working for Vogue and Vogue does not feature Asian American women at all. THey are in the service of white supremacy. Many black folks are too. What difference does it make that they have black employees? Operative word being EMPLOYEES. TO be emloyed not to own or control. Im drunk and Im going to take a nap. Bye.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
They think it's subtle. Nothing makes some white women more angry than a beautiful black woman. I remember on Facebook they had this Dove add it featured a pretty natural hair brown skin woman. This older white lady was in the comments going off on how the white woman was beautiful, most beautiful in the world. I mean she was losing it off a facebook ad and she wasn't the only one.

This was just them trying to keep it in check. I don't think we should ever expect them to really push black features as beautiful. If they do, not on black people. As was said in here I don't think it will change with a diverse staff. We don't have a black fashion magazine like Cosmo, Vouge, Vanity Fair, Elle etc...it would be awesome but we have moved from having our own to assimilation. Not saying that's an issue to being in, reading, or trying to break barriers in mainstream I love seeing that, but you know...

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
We don't have a black fashion mag but we do have black fashion and beauty websites and youtube channels. Where black folks have complete control of their media.

FashionBombDaily.com
KisforKinky.com
Blackfashion.tumblr.com

*Forgot about Essence
We also have tons of hair mags, but I don't know who the parent companies are.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
You know, the question has to arise where you ask yourself "Do I judge what is beautiful by my own standards or others?"
This is what Im thinking too

Dont get me wrong :whoa: I think it's necessary to call out this kind of racism ASAP, but the call out is enough. Theres no need for representation from such mags anyway, whose whole business model is built around feeding on the insecurities and prejudices of its reader base.

Nomadum

Woke Dreamer
Daps
Reppin
Nothing
This is what Im thinking too

Dont get me wrong :whoa: I think it's necessary to call out this kind of racism ASAP, but the call out is enough. Theres no need for representation from such mags anyway, whose whole business model is built around feeding on the insecurities and prejudices of its reader base.
exactly.

LadySimone

Banned
Daps
We don't have a black fashion mag but we do have black fashion and beauty websites and youtube channels. Where black folks have complete control of their media.

FashionBombDaily.com
KisforKinky.com
Blackfashion.tumblr.com

*Forgot about Essence
We also have tons of hair mags, but I don't know who the parent companies are.

I love fashionbombdaily. The Sista that runs it has an exceptionally beautiful smile. My problem is she let's her comment section run wild or she used to.

LadySimone

Banned
Daps
Id love to start a fashion magazine. I love that independent photos submitted by regular folk. They have the best style anyway.

Who wants to start a fashion mag with me? I'm based in the UK but we can run it together online and publish and distribute online and locally to our sisters showing round the way girls.