Coronavirus death of ‘Cuban-American’ novelist H.G. Carrillo reveals surprising truth to husband

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
@Cadillac

How does a news story about a grown man from Detroit willingly claiming another ethnicity factor into what you wrote?

I have to read more into his life,but it seemed like he was an untalented writer. There are so many great writers from the AA literary tradition who have written about a variety of topics. He wasn't good enough to break through that competition, so he carved out a less crowded lane.
Not AfroPuerto Rican,not AfroDominican, but AfroCuban.

Because alot of ADOS people have insecurity. alot of the claiming and clinging to nonados cultures and identify due to whatever reasoning about how they are blacker, ashame of being slaves, etc.

you argue it was because he is untalented. Thats arguable, he is no Toni Morrison, John Wideman etc.. But his book Espanish does have some critical acclaim so its arguable he did have some talent. So I doubt it was because he was untalented. I could see it being a partial factor to his decision tho.

@Cadillac

For him to carry it as far as to deny his family in real life. points to him being deeply troubled. Think it extends past ethnicity too, as his "husband" looks like Thor's little brother or an Aryan general.Got the whitest partner he could find.
dennis.jpg

It can be both you know? Go back to my initial post and I mentioned Tommy sotomayor

he has gone out and made up a Panamian background

And has went with Russian white woman.

The thing about people like this it can be a mixture of both these things but most of all they detest being Black american. I seen a example first hand, you can have a person want to attach themselves as something like Jamaican,Nigerian etc. And to top it off they pull a Tommy/HG and go with someoneWhite/Asian/etc.
Passing is nothing new. There are Islander and African kids/teens who try to pass as AAs, but not to the extent of adopting a fake identity for life. And if they did, people from their cultures wouldn't try to blame AAs for what a troubled individual did.

Oh, and Tariq is a clown and you know full well that he is. The entire "bu bu bu but it was okay when he was dissing AAs, but now that he switched" is a smokescreen that his fans use to not have to own up that he is documented to be a liar, promoting misleading info, and inconsistent. Many of us have been calling him out for lies, misleading info, and being inconsistent for years. His fans can't respond to him being exposed for LYING all the time, so the smokescreens/juelzes come out.
@Bold They dont have to adopt a fake identity, instead what happens is ADOS people dont have a barrier and allow easy access for anyone specifically anyone who looks or is supposed "black" to enter and they can just take part in ADOS culture, social circles etc.

Caribbeans and Africans dont even hide who they are. Some do, but alot dont and they be claiming our ADOS culture(espescially Jamaicans)

And I have to immensily disagree about how people wouldnt blame AAs. Take Interracial realtionships, people think the tomfoolery and c00ning that happens is always by Black americans but a good portion of them is by nonados.

Lke those football players that said "to more lightskin kids" I remember overseas individuals were making remarks about Black americans. Despite the fact those players were Caribbeans

its not a smokescreen, Look at this forum and its change of tone. You got a Nigerian nikka who was his biggest cheerleader and now as of the past 2 years(Tariq calling out nonados) he hates Tariq and there are others like him whether nonados or ADOS.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I hope I didn't start no ish in this thread -- it was not my intention.

Do you think that's why he did it? To carve out a spot? I hope.

Sadly, the first thing I thought of was shame of being Black/ADOS. As his sister stated he basically stopped connecting with them.

No, thanks for posting the story.
This is an interesting thread topic. I don't think there's been a recent one about passing and that's a complex and sad topic.
This man was deeply troubled regardless of his motivation. After reading the article, it seemed like he reinvented himself as a Cuban partly to launch his writing career.

My issue was that I don't like people bringing TLR logic to other sections of the board. By regular logic,how would a story about a 60 year man who began falsely claiming Cubano in the 1990s be framed in the way that Cadillac framed it?

Most people view stories through the frame of their life experiences. I think many people have seen/heard examples of "passing". I think that having gone to Clark, which is in perhaps the most famous international hub of Black college students, that you might have seen what I'm about to talk about.

People going off to school to "reinvent" themselves. Happens everywhere, but probably happens most extremely at schools that attract students from across the country. Doing it at a school close to where you're from won't work because many people from your high school will be there.
But out of state, people can claim to be from different socio-economic , ethnic, or even other racial backgrounds.
Sometimes, because they are false flagging in places that attract people from everywhere.....somebody from their area eventually makes their way to the same school and exposes them as a fraud.

Passing has been written about, covered in films, and discussed for decades. Even a person who hasn't witnessed it firsthand, would be aware of the complex history of it.

I think the deceased writer definitely suffered from self hatred. His denial of the people who raised him, and his choice of spouse points to that directly. I also think that him coming of age as a gay dude in the era that he did factored into it.
I think his attempt at reinvention "succeeded" in his mind, and that it spiraled....and he justified it in his mind that what he gained was greater than what he lost.

It's a sad story.

My issue was the extent to which some are willing to bend stories to fit TLR narratives is disturbing. It's almost as if they had no life experiences or been aware of history before they sat down and watched a youtube video.

Last edited:

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
No, thanks for posting the story.
This is an interesting thread topic. I don't think there's been a recent one about passing and that's a complex and sad topic.
This man was deeply troubled regardless of his motivation. After reading the article, it seemed like he reinvented himself as a Cuban partly to launch his writing career.

My issue was that I don't like people bringing TLR logic to other sections of the board. By regular logic,how would a story about a 60 year man who began falsely claiming Cubano in the 1990s be framed in the way that Cadillac framed it?

Most people view stories through the frame of their life experiences. I think many people have seen/heard examples of "passing". I think that having gone to Clark, which is in perhaps the most famous international hub of Black college students, that you might have seen what I'm about to talk about.

People going off to school to "reinvent" themselves. Happens everywhere, but probably happens most extremely at schools that attract students from across the country. Doing it at a school close to where you're from won't work because many people from your high school will be there.
But out of state, people can claim to be from different socio-economic , ethnic, or even other racial backgrounds.
Sometimes, because they are false flagging in places that attract people from everywhere.....somebody from their area eventually makes their way to the same school and exposes them as a fraud.

Passing has been written about, covered in films, and discussed for decades. Even a person who hasn't witnessed it firsthand, would be aware of the complex history of it.

I think the deceased writer definitely suffered from self hatred. His denial of the people who raised him, and his choice of spouse points to that directly. I also think that him coming of age as a gay dude in the era that he did factored into it.
I think his attempt at reinvention "succeeded" in his mind, and that it spiraled....and he justified it in his mind that what he gained was greater than what he lost.

It's a sad story.

My issue was the extent to which some are willing to bend stories to fit TLR narratives is disturbing. It's almost as if they had no life experiences or been aware of history before they sat down and watched a youtube video.

In the context of what this author did I would not define that as a "reinvention" of himself. He effectively created an alias. When you reach the point where you aren't even associating with your family in fear of being exposed it's not a "reinvention." Using the context of your example where people go to college and make changes is entirely different. In that example that person's "reinvention" would be a change in behavior such as being more studious, perhaps taking education more seriously, becoming more open to other opinions, ideologies etc. What this person did was not "reinventing himself."

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
In the context of what this author did I would not define that as a "reinvention" of himself. He effectively created an alias. When you reach the point where you aren't even associating with your family in fear of being exposed it's not a "reinvention." Using the context of your example where people go to college and make changes is entirely different. In that example that person's "reinvention" would be a change in behavior such as being more studious, perhaps taking education more seriously, becoming more open to other opinions, ideologies etc. What this person did was not "reinventing himself."

acp.jpg
This man later became one of the greatest advocates for Black people that politics has ever seen. Perhaps the greatest champion for Black rights on a national level. But when he was a troubled young man, he went off to college and reinvented himself as a white man and deliberately passed. Had he been a random person, he might have not be discovered. But he was from a prominent family, so the other Black students there already knew who he was and aired him out.

ac_powell_sign.jpg
===================================================​
Reinvention in the form of altering socio-economic, ethnic, or racial background is not new.

220px-Stephanie_St._Clair.jpg

This woman from the French Caribbean. Years after she had migrated to New York ,and became a socialite, she reinvented herself with a story of birth and lineage from France.
The 1911 New York Passenger List and a 1915 marriage certificate and 1942 Social Security card application offer plausible evidence of St. Clair’s birth year and place as well as her ethnicity background. Extant documentation indicates Stephanie St.“Claire” was one of four children born to Amedia St. Clair and Ancelin Martraux on December 24 in the mid-1880s or 1890s on the French island of Guadeloupe .

and meaning no disrespect to the late Prince, he ran with a fictional backstory of being the product of an interracial marriage early in his career. That myth even carried over to his partial biopic, Purple Rain

Shaun King has been put on blast for years for going off to college and seemingly reinventing himself as a biracial Black man, and continuing to run with the story until today.

I'm saying that in the case of the late Mr. Carroll, that his reinvention of identity kept spiraling and spiraling. It started with a writing pseudonym, that is a Spanish version of his given name. Herman Glenn Carroll becomes H.G. Carrillo. Though I think the reinvention was well thought out, and that he could always explain his real legal name by saying that his parents anglicized it upon arrival to America

Other articles also say that he also claimed to be a professional concert pianist , when that was false as well.

Just making up shyt to craft a new identity, literally reinvented his backstory. As with the other cases there was an intent behind the newly crafted identity. He just continued to run with the lie. Like I said before....what he thought he gained was more valuable to him than what he had to give up.

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
acp.jpg
This man later became one of the greatest advocates for Black people that politics has ever seen. Perhaps the greatest champion for Black rights on a national level. But when he was a troubled young man, he went off to college and reinvented himself as a white man and deliberately passed. Had he been a random person, he might have not be discovered. But he was from a prominent family, so the other Black students there already knew who he was and aired him out.

ac_powell_sign.jpg
===================================================​
Reinvention in the form of altering socio-economic, ethnic, or racial background is not new.

220px-Stephanie_St._Clair.jpg

This woman from the French Caribbean. Years after she had migrated to New York ,and became a socialite, she reinvented herself with a story of birth and lineage from France.
The 1911 New York Passenger List and a 1915 marriage certificate and 1942 Social Security card application offer plausible evidence of St. Clair’s birth year and place as well as her ethnicity background. Extant documentation indicates Stephanie St.“Claire” was one of four children born to Amedia St. Clair and Ancelin Martraux on December 24 in the mid-1880s or 1890s on the French island of Guadeloupe .

and meaning no disrespect to the late Prince, he ran with a fictional backstory of being the product of an interracial marriage early in his career. That myth even carried over to his partial biopic, Purple Rain

Shaun King has been put on blast for years for going off to college and seemingly reinventing himself as a biracial Black man, and continuing to run with the story until today.

I'm saying that in the case of the late Mr. Carroll, that his reinvention of identity kept spiraling and spiraling. It started with a writing pseudonym, that is a Spanish version of his given name. Herman Glenn Carroll becomes H.G. Carrillo. Though I think the reinvention was well thought out, and that he could always explain his real legal name by saying that his parents anglicized it upon arrival to America

Other articles also say that he also claimed to be a professional concert pianist , when that was false as well.

Just making up shyt to craft a new identity, literally reinvented his backstory. As with the other cases there was an intent behind the newly crafted identity. He just continued to run with the lie. Like I said before....what he thought he gained was more valuable to him than what he had to give up.

These are all interesting stories but they are still people who assume alias's for various purposes. Some have good intentions based on the first person posted but it's still someone taking on a new identity. Reinvention is not what those people are doing in my opinion.

The only reason I'm critical of the term is because I don't think it's being applied correctly in the examples provided. I mean are we going to describe non-blacks who pose as blacks online (such as this very forum according to many here) as people "reinventing" themselves? As Gus T Renegade says we must strive for accuracy when describing these these types of things and I believe "reinvention" is inaccurate.

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
saw this a few days ago, was debating on making it a thread .

anyways this is funny. Guy was pulling a Dave East/Tommy sotomayor before they came to be, by claiming a nonados/foreign heritage that doesnt belong to them

Dave East ain't Dominican/Carribean?

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
Dude was troubled to deny his family like that. Rest in Peace.

Now, that we got that out of the way, the FIRST thing I thought about after reading this story was

:ehh:
I watched that again recently ....entertaining and unique movie.
There really isn't an equivalent movie to something like bingo long nowadays.