Concept Albums Explained (short summaries/analysis that's easy to digest)

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
I always thought the same way about this album

It was literally career suicide in a CD

Cover art is erie, even has an actual suicide note.

The curtain just don't close for me, this ain't what fame was supposed to be
Where's the swtich that I can turn off an on? This ain't what I chose to be
So please god give me the strenght to have what it takes to carry on
Til I pass 50 back the baton, the cameras on, my soul is gone

This is where he realizes "Eminem" is a corperate entity and that he's a sell out no mattter how much he tried to fight against it.

iu

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
Good Kid M.a.a.D City

Probably his most digestible concept. Short film in the style of Quentin Tarantino

Even Section 80 was a concept album but it wasn't as straightforward. I'll eventually post about that one, DAMN, and Mr. Morale

Kendrick has been keeping artistry in hip hop alive since 2011. This is one of the reasons why he's one of the greats

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest

This is where he realizes "Eminem" is a corperate entity and that he's a sell out no mattter how much he tried to fight against it.

iu
Yep I had this album. I still have it. This one, The Eminem Show, Curtain Call, Recovery, and MMLP2

I posted on the Coli before that I used to be the biggest Em fan. Past few years his flabby rage raps stopped hitting for me

Listening to his old shyt rubbed me the wrong way spiritually. His shyt was satanic. Which is why I might throw all those CDs away eventually

But yea that suicide note on the CD artwork is what let me know at age 8 that this is what the album represented (yes I was Listening to Em back then. Grow up fast, wisdom follows :francis: )

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
:ohhh::ohhh:

So this concept was probably already in the works with Relapse 2

He just changed the title

Relapse is definitely a concept album. Sadly the most innovative album he's dropped since his hiatus
He said he made enough records to fill 3 albums. But they shortened it to 2. However after the lackluster response from the fans and critics he changed his mind and went with a different direction for “Recovery.”

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
He said he made enough records to fill 3 albums. But they shortened it to 2. However after the lackluster response from the fans and critics he changed his mind and went with a different direction for “Recovery.”
That might've been the one single decision that ends up forever defining his post-hiatus career

He made Relapse without any fan influence

He made MMLP and TES with critic influence. It was different

"Yall said I can't rap about being broke no more
Didn't say I can't rap about coke no more"

He went from that, to wanting to be taken seriously as a lyricist with The Eminem Show. That's why that album is generally viewed as the one that aged the best

Now he makes art for fans. Not for himself first anymore

"I make songs for me, fukk what you like"

Eminem has changed in more ways than one. Sad but he's still a legend so it is what it is

If he would've dropped Relapse 2 and just continued to follow his vision with Dre, who knows how his career would be perceived now

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali

iu
What’s even wilder is that Em revealed that if those 2 bonus records didn’t leak, “We As Americans” would have opened the album.

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
That might've been the one single decision that ends up forever defining his post-hiatus career

He made Relapse without any fan influence

He made MMLP and TES with critic influence. It was different

"Yall said I can't rap about being broke no more
Didn't say I can't rap about coke no more"

He went from that, to wanting to be taken seriously as a lyricist with The Eminem Show. That's why that album is generally viewed as the one that aged the best

Now he makes art for fans. Not for himself first anymore

"I make songs for me, fukk what you like"

Eminem has changed in more ways than one. Sad but he's still a legend so it is what it is

If he would've dropped Relapse 2 and just continued to follow his vision with Dre, who knows how his career would be perceived now
And to take it a step further, he was always reactionary. From Infinite to the creation of Slim Shady. So on and so forth

But after his 3rd solo album, he should've evolved as an artist

The most revered artists in hip hop make music for self-expression first. Not for fan appeasement. Eminem hasn't matured. He continues to make music for acceptance

He needs therapy. I salute his sobriety. Once his self esteem improves, so will his music

And his dealings with the toxic women he makes these newer songs about with Skylar Grey
:dead:

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
What’s even wilder is that Em revealed that if those 2 bonus records didn’t leak, “We As Americans” would have opened the album.
Reactionary. He should've let that original album ride. What created his rise (Slim Shady as a result of his reaction to the flop of Infinite)

Ended up causing his downfall. At some point, that reactionary shyt loses its luster. Evident in his last handful of albums

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Reactionary. He should've let that original album ride. What created his rise (Slim Shady as a result of his reaction to the flop of Infinite)

Ended up causing his downfall. At some point, that reactionary shyt loses its luster. Evident in his last handful of albums
I hear you, but he's done it all. If he has nothing to react to, all you're getting is dad joke punchlines and cac inspiration anthems. He needs the inspiration, he's been rich and world famous for the last 20 years.

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
I hear you, but he's done it all. If he has nothing to react to, all you're getting is dad joke punchlines and cac inspiration anthems. He needs the inspiration, he's been rich and world famous for the last 20 years.
Nas is still inspired after damn near 30 years. And you can tell with the quality he's put out since 2018. His song Echo with Swizz was the beginning

Nas doesn't look for validation or inspiration. He let's it come to him

Em needs to take after veterans like him

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Nas is still inspired after damn near 30 years. And you can tell with the quality he's put out since 2018. His song Echo with Swizz was the beginning

Nas doesn't look for validation or inspiration. He let's it come to him

Em needs to take after veterans like him
Nas can go outside without a disguise. Eminem is damn near MJ status. He can't do normal shyt at all. There is nothing to ground him. Nas still goes to Queensbridge from time to time.