Concept Albums Explained (short summaries/analysis that's easy to digest)

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
This is a thread for short explanations of any concept albums. We can discuss if they make sense, our thoughts, theories and etc. A discussion thread about some of the most dense records in the genre's history

Past. Present. And Future.

I will post many albums in here. I'm just making this first post to set the stage. In the morning, I'll expand briefly on what I'm about to post below

This will be the only long-form post I make in here. This sets the stage for the rest of my posts in this thread

THIS IS THE ONLY LONGFORM POST. READ IF YOU FEEL LIKE IT. DONT LET THIS STOP YOU FROM POSITIVELY ADDING TO THE THREAD

We aren't doing that toxic forum stuff in here

Dont come in here with that "didnt read" energy. This is a serious thread. No trolling or arguing or none of that. Debating respectfully is cool.

It's chill but if this isn't your thing, don't feel pressured to read or be involved
:ufdup:

Final warning

:ufdup:

Everything is open for interpretation. Thats the beauty of music. It's subjective

Artists like Kendrick, Lupe, Masta Ace, Prince Paul, KRIT, The Roots and many more have given us excellent records meant to be listened to over time

I made this thread because I heard Kendrick's Wesley's Theory on my 3 Kings playlist

This is a Spotify playlist I made with most of the catalogs of Kendrick, KRIT, and Cole. My 3 GOATs of their era. Features, songs, albums, loosies, and even produced tracks (KRIT and Cole)

So I'm listening to Wesley's Theory while thinking about the "Pimp" concept in the shower (Im writing a book. The "philosophy of Pimping" is going to be briefly discussed in this book. Iceberg Slim type shyt)

This concept came to me when I first heard this album on the release date in 2015. Im pretty sure Kendrick cited Iceberg as an influence. I loosely remember in an interview he did

But brehs

Letting music sit and living with it. Mannnnnn

This is when you can tell what music lives for the time and what lives forever. This whole album aged beautifully

But back to this Wesley's Theory track. Basically the "girl" Kendrick is talking about is the "butterfly". The butterfly represents his talent, his potential, his skills

Lyrical ability, intelligence, Music making ability, good ear for beats, concept creating ability, potential to become famous because of these talents, potential to change the world with these talents etc. All of this is involved in this butterfly.

Kendrick himself is a "caterpillar". At first Kendrick loved and appreciated his butterfly. But now he just takes it for granted "now I just want to fukk".

The spoiler contains the rest of the explanation of the first 2 tracks. And the main reason why i made this thread

Hip Hop is beautiful brehs. This shyt is really art
:mjcry:

This is why what Lupe is doing with his college course about the arts and principles of the genre is so important

shyt is modern day poetry that needs to be studied the exact same way, if not, more like it is in English classes. Thought-provoking shyt. ART.

And just to bring things full circle

I chose this username because of the Pimp in Kendrick's album as well as The Boondocks. Iceberg Slim. List goes on

This shyt is deep. And ill go more in depth about the dynamic between the Pimp and the prostitute as it relates to Wesley's Theory

He used to think about the butterfly late at night. Until he "took advantage" of it (until I got my nut)

Toss and turn, lesson learned
You were my first girlfriend
Bridges burned, all across the board
Destroyed, but what for?????

Once the butterfly gets "fukked" by Kendrick, he soon learns that it was the wrong decision. This was his first "girlfriend" (the girlfriend that will be pimped later in the album)

The butterfly is the first love he met. When he was a kid. This was his dream. Fulfilling his dreams through his potential and his God-given gifts (which is why God and Lucy are integral to this album)

Long story short, first verse is about him foregoing the cherishing of his butterfly. Instead, he gets caught up in the glamorous lifestyle of his dream to be famous. His fame eventually comes because of this butterfly

He wants to "pimp" his butterfly to go crazy with the women, money, jewelery, and rebellion against the racist establishment in this country. You can listen back to this track and get the jist yourself

But then

Dre comes in and warns him about the "game" and how his butterfly can be pimped

The first explicitly revealed pimp (one of the many pimps. Kendrick is the lowest level pimp. The caterpillar pimps the butterfly)

The pimp comes in and seduces the butterfly in the 2nd verse. Convinces it to give in to his "trap" (bruh listen to that poem in full at the middle of Mortal Man. This is why this nikka is one of the GOATs)

Uncle Sam basically wants to pimp the caterpillars butterfly for profit

Pimping it. For his own benefits. Giving into capitalism benefits this country, and therefore Uncle Sam (the representation of America). The "trap" or what keeps this butterfly in this cycle of prostitution is taxes

In the black community, financial literacy is one of the many things that isn't taught to us in comparison to the whites, Asians, etc

They pimped Wesley Snipes' butterfly. Then they got him with the tax game. This is why he went through what he went through

Uncle Sam wants to do the same thing to Kendrick

You can listen to the rest of the song and take what im saying here into consideration

But this is why I made this thread

"Tax man coming
tax man coming
tax man coming
Tax man COMING"

Who does this sound like? Who is the "tax man"

This is a prostitute. Worried about her pimp. Uncle Sam.

If you watched The Boondocks

(You better have. If not
:ufdup: )

Remember Cristal? Remember how she would run and hide whenever she saw a pimp looking for her????????? The pimp "coming"?????

When this shyt was processing in my mind..... I literally hit the :wow: :wow: :wow:
face in the shower

Then it goes into the next track For Free?

"Oh America, you bad bytch
I picked cotton and made you rich
Now my dikk ain't free"

America is Uncle Sam's "bottom bytch". That's why she says she's gonna get Sam to "fukk you up"

You gotta listen to this album figuratively. I'm not gonna get too much deeper in the next post. Just had to get all this out before I forgot

I will briefly explain the TPAB concept from my perspective. I'm also thinking about doing brief summaries of Because The Internet and DAMN. Kendrick really has made every single studio album a concept album with the exception of untitled mastered

But it definitely won't stop there with me. We're going through every album. Feel free to post whatever is on your mind. Let's have some thoughtful discussion in here

:mjlit:

Last edited:

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
This thread is just for myyyyyyyy

:blessed:

To Pimp A Butterfly is my favorite album of all time for a multitude of reasons. It's dense, powerful, just simply beautiful music. And it's BLACK. One of the most pro-black/black culture celebrating records of this millennium

2Pac was a big influence on TPAB
(The working title was To Pimp A Caterpillar because he was thinking about incorporating 2Pacs name in the title as an acronym)

But like I said in the OP, Iceberg Slim was another influence. He revealed this in a Twitter Q&A around the time of the album's release

I'm 26 and I'm only gonna continue to live with music and discover more. So this might not be my #1 favorite album years from now. But it will always be up there. I have the fonted "i" from the single cover tatted on my arm. This is how much that song means to me

Album means just as much to me. This is music that will never die

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
If yall are into getting different perspectives on albums like this and learning new things about the history of this music, I'd  highly suggest listening to the Dissect podcast on Spotify

Cole Kushna has been putting his foot into that damn pod for years now. He has so many quality episodes, I'm seasons behind

This is the type of hip hop audio journalism and media that needs to be broadcasted and celebrated. Not that Akademiks Adam 22 bullshyt

Intelligent Movement. This is for the love of the genre and the artform. I'll post in here about the TPAB concept sometime in the morning

:salute:

Last edited:

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
Imma keep this short as I can. Because this shyt is deep

TPAB is an allegory, novel, and a dream all at the same time

In the album booklet, it's revealed the subtitle to TPAB is: a blank letter by Kendrick Lamar

This album serves generally as a letter to 2Pac. All of what happens is in his head

"Pac: its spirits. We aint even rapping. We just lettin our dead homies tell stories for us

Kendrick: DAMN."

Mortal Man wraps it up perfectly

2Pac's butterfly was pimped. He fell victim to the lifestyle Kendrick wanted in the 1st verse of Wesley's Theory. Suge pimped it. The media pimped it

THIS shyt IS DEEP BREHS

But the wisdom Pac gave in the last songs interview is what makes him one of the greatest black figures of all time

Even when your butterfly gets pimped, your legacy lives on

"Even though the caterpillar and butterfly are completely different, they are one in the same"

Pac couldn't give his perspective on Kendricks last monologue. The conclusion he comes to. Pac died before he got his perspective on it. He didn't live long enough to get to 30 years old. Not even to 26 to give Kendrick the game he was asking for

This is exactly what America wanted to happen to Kendrick (in the context of this album)

Kendrick has been looking for answers ever since. I think he realized on his Mr. Morale record that the only answer that matters is how he can be at peace internally

"I don't know. I'm no Mortal Man
Maybe I'm just another nikka"

What are the first words you hear on the album?

Is he less than human?? (A slave, a N----r)
Or is he MORE? A star. A butterfly

To Pimp A Butterfly was way more than funk, jazz, and "artsy" raps. It was one of the greatest concept albums in musical history. Not just hip hop. Music

Last edited:

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
Great thread idea! :wow:

This might be coming out of left field. But I look at Eminem’s “Relapse” album as a concept album.

Relapse_%28album%29.jpg

The the whole album is Eminem living a dark fantasy of being a serial killer. The “serial killer” is the metaphor for his pill addiction.

The bonus track “My Darling” should be considered the official intro to the album (placed right after the “Dr. West” skit) where Em is having a conversation with his dark side/addiction. At the end of the track he caves in and becomes the psycho killer..

Throughout the album he is high (hence the accents), but when the album progresses the “accent” becomes less and less until he overdoses. While he is in the hospital, we get to “Deja Vu” and “Beautiful” where Em fully talks about how bad his addiction really got and how depressed he is.

So after he takes one last hit (Crack A Bottle), talks to the label (Steve Berman skit) he goes “Underground” until he recovers.

And that’s when “Recovery” comes in…

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest

This might be coming out of left field. But I look at Eminem’s “Relapse” album as a concept album.

Relapse_%28album%29.jpg

The the whole album is Eminem living a dark fantasy of being a serial killer. The “serial killer” is the metaphor for his pill addiction.

The bonus track “My Darling” should be considered the official intro to the album (placed right after the “Dr. West” skit) where Em is having a conversation with his dark side/addiction. At the end of the track he caves in and becomes the psycho killer..

Throughout the album he is high (hence the accents), but when the album progresses the “accent” becomes less and less until he overdoses. While he is in the hospital, we get to “Deja Vu” and “Beautiful” where Em fully talks about how bad his addiction really got and how depressed he is.

So after he takes one last hit (Crack A Bottle), talks to the label (Steve Berman skit) he goes “Underground” until he recovers.

And that’s when “Recovery” comes in…

:ohhh::ohhh:

So this concept was probably already in the works with Relapse 2

He just changed the title

Relapse is definitely a concept album. Sadly the most innovative album he's dropped since his hiatus

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Said this before, but Encore is Eminem making an album about not wanting to make an album, but being forced to, while being so famous he can put out a bunch of random disinterested shyt and it will sell.

Which is exactly what happened.

Evil Deeds - Telling people he doesn't want to be bothered and his life went to shyt from fame

My First Single (self explanatory IMO)

Last verse of Big Weenie - He's letting you in on the joke

Outro - Shoots up the audience then himself. Basically the only way they'll let him stop.

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest

Relapse_%28album%29.jpg

And this is probably why there was that chainsaw sound after what Shady/the devil/his dark side/addiction said

"No one's gonna love you like I do"

:ohhh:

That chainsaw shyt always confused me since I heard the song in 09

This is what this thread is for. Repped
:wow:

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
Said this before, but Encore is Eminem making an album about not wanting to make an album, but being forced to, while being so famous he can put out a bunch of random disinterested shyt and it will sell.

Which is exactly what happened.

Evil Deeds - Telling people he doesn't want to be bothered and his life went to shyt from fame

My First Single (self explanatory IMO)

Last verse of Big Weenie - He's letting you in on the joke

Outro - Shoots up the audience then himself. Basically the only way they'll let him stop.
I always thought the same way about this album

It was literally career suicide in a CD

Iverson_64

Superstar
Daps
Z6YNdEe.jpg

I feel this is an underrated concept album.

It's about a young version of MF DOOM named Viktor Vaughn who is more menacing and mischievous than usual and has the ability to travel time and do other things. It explores his antics and shenanigans and explains why he's at odds with his future self, MF DOOM. The album has a lot of details and feels very cinematic.

It also contains some really funny skits via the Open Mic segments.

A Pimp Named Slickback

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Woodcrest
Hip-Hop historian shyt
:blessed:

Here's a concise one

KRIT's mixtape 4Eva in a Day

Basically a day in the life of KRIT

The first and last song serve as alarms. He wakes up at 8:04 am. Then goes to sleep at 5:04 am. The Alarm wakes him up 3 hours later. At 8:04

4eva. In a day

This is one of the easier to grasp concepts but there's still alot of complexities

When it comes to these mixtapes, always find the original online downloadable versions

The streaming versions are watered down

This was a classic mixtape. One of the many KRIT has in his catalog

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Z6YNdEe.jpg

I feel this is an underrated concept album.

It's about a young version of MF DOOM named Viktor Vaughn who is more menacing and mischievous than usual and has the ability to travel time and do other things. It explores his antics and shenanigans and explains why he's at odds with his future self, MF DOOM. The album has a lot of details and feels very cinematic.

It also contains some really funny skits via the Open Mic segments.
This was my first intro to doom.

Bought it at Virgin megastore in SF.

I really don't know what drew me to it, I bought it randomly and fukked with it hard.