Complex: The making of It Was Written

Asdfhhklpiyrewss

All Star
Daps
The Making of Nas' "It Was Written" | Complex

Featuring Nas, Trackmasters, Steve Stoute, Prodigy, Premier and more

Some highlights:

Black Girl Lost

Nas: “I was still working on ‘Black Girl Lost Part II’ when it leaked. I make sequels to records but we don’t plan to put them out unless they are the records. I was working on a sequel to ‘Shootouts’ and a couple other records from that album too. I was working on another song, ‘Small World Part II.’ I don’t really have sequels, I did ‘N.Y. State of Mind Part II’ so that’s the only one I put out on a record.

“My other sequels never made an album. I never released them because they couldn’t top the first one. If I could top the original then I would put it on an album. ‘Black Girl Lost Part II’ would have originally been on the album but I never got back to fixing it and I’m too busy with other records. I don’t see where it could fit.”

The Message

Nas: I saw Jay-Z driving a Lexus with the TVs in them. I got rid of my Lexus at that point and I was looking for the next best thing. It wasn’t a shot at Jay but it was just saying that’s the minimum you gotta have. It’s not a shot at him but he inspired that line. It wasn’t necessarily a shot at him but because the song was a shot at everybody, he fell into that. But he definitely inspired that line

:russ:

I Gave You Power

Tone: “I always wanted to take the part off the record, where he goes, 'It’s like I’m a gun.' I didn’t want him to give the hook away. I always wanted him to take that out but we never took it out."

Nas: “I was struggling with the fact that people wouldn’t get it [that’s why I said I was a gun in the intro]. I underestimated that the audience thinking they wouldn’t get what I was talking about. They were telling me, ‘They gonna get it.’ And I’m like, ‘No, they’re not going to know.’ So I kept it there.”

If I Ruled The World

Nas: I was supposed to be on the The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill album but I was caught up with whatever and I never made it to the sessions. That’s one of my greatest regrets with music. I was getting the calls to come rap on the album and something was always happening at the time when I got the call. Lisa Ellis of Sony always used to tell me, ‘Man you fukked up, you’re supposed to be on that album.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
That is funny him admitting that Jay-Z inspired the Lex with TV sets line. All these years I thought Jay-Z was just inflating his own name at that time since we was largely unknown still at that point.

Daps
Reppin
Lagos (Da Jungle)
“I was nervous all the time. I was mastering and Q-Tip said to me, ‘You’re killing his career.’ I was so nervous about that. Q-Tip was so important, Q-Tip was like, ‘This ain’t it.’ Q-Tip [had a big role on Illmatic] but he didn’t produce on It Was Written. Nas is an artist’s artist. My whole thing was I didn’t want him to end up being like Kool G Rap.

“I went into thinking about the launch strategy. I thought he had much more potential than Illmatic because I felt like everybody liked Illmatic but they just wanted him to stay there. But the record had not gone gold at that time. I just want to see this guy win.”-Steve Stoute

:win:

TEKBEATZ

Banging Pads
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Saint Petersburg. FL
2113291_o.gif

Long Live The Kane

Tyrant Titan
Daps
Had Nas listened to the dusty bum purist crowd he'd mess around and still be living in QB right now...Steve Stoute saved his life