College Applications

Dreamchaser

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
it would be good to know her GPA and standardized test scores though. without that we don't know if she should be ruling out a school like stanford, especially if her household income is less than $65k a year. you can't beat free.

She has a 4.1 weighted GPA, 3.64, unweighted, 8 AP courses, 1140 SAT, 15 Essay portion, first generation, low income, black. Anything else missing?

Dreamchaser

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Is she trying be a doctor or trying have a good time :mjgrin:

Here's a good premed / med school program for minorities in LA.....
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science
Their target population is addressing minorities in need.

Also there's ways around paying the for $60 fee. I just bull shytted it and said my household income was like 10k. They never verified it. But there are fee waivers, so look into that

Only downside is, it's no UCLA or USC. And the surrounding area isn't the greatest, but it's a well known program for minorities. So she won't have to deal with the :mjpls: from her peers and professors in undergrad, which can be disturbing at times.

also @hashmander went to UCLA, I'm sure he can share how to get in.....

If she's going pre-med, I would suggest taking as many math classes as possible in high school.
Then when she gets to college, make sure within the first semester she takes a statistics course.
This would have worked wonders for me in lab, if I taken a statistics course before I took chemistry and physics. It makes doing lab reports that much more easier.

For sure breh, it seems so basic, but I could show a chart of rampart that it is on college campuses or among people under 23 in general.

I'm a UCLA alumni myself, but I want her to explore and shoot higher than UCLA. She's going for academics, she's focused and determined.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
She has a 4.1 weighted GPA, 3.64, unweighted, 8 AP courses, 1140 SAT, 15 Essay portion, first generation, low income, black. Anything else missing?
california resident right?

can she take the SAT again or the ACT? they are different and appeal to different strengths.
Is the ACT Easier Than the SAT?

what's her extra curriculars looking like.

which UC campuses is she interested in?

you said low income, did she qualify for an SAT fee waiver? if she did then college application fees would be waived too.

Dreamchaser

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
california resident right?

can she take the SAT again or the ACT? they are different and appeal to different strengths.
Is the ACT Easier Than the SAT?

what's her extra curriculars looking like.

which UC campuses is she interested in?

you said low income, did she qualify for an SAT fee waiver? if she did then college application fees would be waived too.

Yeah California resident, goes to La Jolla High School, standard Extra curricular, Founded two clubs, treasurer of another club, volunteer at hospital, etc . She took SAT and ACT and that was her best score, she interested in UCB, UCLA, UCSD, UCD, UCSB, UCI. I'm not sure about SAT fee waiver.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
Yeah California resident, goes to La Jolla High School, standard Extra curricular, Founded two clubs, treasurer of another club, volunteer at hospital, etc . She took SAT and ACT and that was her best score, she interested in UCB, UCLA, UCSD, UCD, UCSB, UCI. I'm not sure about SAT fee waiver.
with a fee waiver she could apply to up to 4 UCs. w/out one it's $70 per.

in order of difficulty for her list:

UCLA, UCB, UCSD, UCSB, UCI, UCD

even without a fee waiver i would take a gamble on stanford. it's $90 and the potential reward outweighs that big time.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
Actually the best school for her is UCR, it’s easier to get in, they have their own medical school, it has the most most black people and it’s easier to jump ship to other UC grad programs and medical schools from there

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Have an idea of different programs that she'd be interested in. Different schools have different specializations.
To piggy back on this, pick a school that has more than one program that you're interested in. It's fairly common to go to school thinking you want to be a doctor or a programmer and leave doing/desiring something different.

I'd also recommend applying earlier and following up with programs that allow you to network with the admissions staff. As a minority there are plenty of programs that allow this especially if you're in the top percentage of your class.

Dreamchaser

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
To piggy back on this, pick a school that has more than one program that you're interested in. It's fairly common to go to school thinking you want to be a doctor or a programmer and leave doing/desiring something different.

I'd also recommend applying earlier and following up with programs that allow you to network with the admissions staff. As a minority there are plenty of programs that allow this especially if you're in the top percentage of your class.

Total agree, but I'm trying to get the younger sister involved with some summer programs that will give them exposure to different fields of study. I had to spend some time to convince her to look at some other schools outside of California.

Dreamchaser

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Actually the best school for her is UCR, it’s easier to get in, they have their own medical school, it has the most most black people and it’s easier to jump ship to other UC grad programs and medical schools from there

Regardless of the university she applies to she's going to be a minority, unless she going to HBCU. But, a lot can happen during those 4 years of undergrad, so not really rushing it with medical school or grad school at the moment.

Dreamchaser

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
with a fee waiver she could apply to up to 4 UCs. w/out one it's $70 per.

in order of difficulty for her list:

UCLA, UCB, UCSD, UCSB, UCI, UCD

even without a fee waiver i would take a gamble on stanford. it's $90 and the potential reward outweighs that big time.

She got a fee waiver for 4 UC so she had to pay for the two other UC.