Essential Coli-members what's the last thing you watched?

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
p8082_d_v8_aa.jpg

:wow:
8_killers_original.jpg

Criterion version/release !!
BEST!

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
recent watches

three kings
nurse betty
Adventures of tintin...we never getting the sequel :mjcry:
the fan with snipes and de niro
talk to me with don cheadle
Next friday

JackRoss

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I got my girl hooked on The Flash :mjlol:

She showed me Joe kissing a tranny on that Rent movie :picard:

taker597

Superstar
Daps
Kong_Skull_Island_poster.jpg

It was fun, but kind of blehhhh...

If you're going to lean heavy on Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness aesthetically. I was hoping for more substance in the narrative, but after the 2005 Kong narrative nightmare of film that tried harder to mirror the archaic film style of the original instead of properly adapting the tone with a more relateable modernization. Peter Jackson was more focus on making the unnecessary 3 hour film remake to be imitation of the 1933s masterpiece rather than being a modern masterpiece within our culture. It's ultimately the film's downfall and why it really gets no love from WB. Adrien Brody and Jack Black were awful casting decisions.

I guess WB just want to stick with Monster movie with aesthetic substance approach with light characters. The characters were approached so paper thin when a film is filled with rich cinematography and subtle reference to titles in my opening line. From a character standpoint, very little was developed even through a non-verbal storytelling. You get why these characters all these characters do all of these actions, but it has so little resonance in them.It wasn't enjoyable and there is just no memorable character dialogue interaction.

Jon Goodman's character obsession with finding this Monster( Basically his Kurtz) . It follows with them baiting a general into finding the quote I have below, "The Blank Space" before Russia. The film basis mirror very much with Heart of Darkness.

As a child, Marlow had been fascinated by "the blank spaces" on maps, particularly by the biggest, which by the time he had grown up was no longer blank but turned into "a place of darkness" (Conrad 10)

There is also creature theme brought up basically BY John C. Reilly character.

Feeling as though "instead of going to the centre of a continent I were about to set off for the centre of the earth", Marlow takes passage on a French steamer bound for the African coast and then into the interior (Conrad 18).

In this monster universe... Monster are apparently underneath the earth and the earth is hollow. It's holds them and when they return from the place of Darkness. Blah blah. Parallels.

I can see why critics like this film a lot from these very well-constructed themes and ideals put forth in this monster universe asethically. It's an improvement from Godzilla(2014) where the human characters were just soo awful that it took away from films.

Yet, it's just not satisfy seeing characters just be window dressing and tease me that Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness vibe and not follow through with some strong character interaction. Human Nature is heart of those literature and it gets fast tracked to Samuel Jackson looking angry. I get what they were trying to portray him losing his sanity through non-verbal storytelling, but I wanted more from a good character.

It's a solid monster film, but paper thin human characters from such a rich source material from 1933 Classic, Heart of Darkness, and Apocalypse Now. It sours a bit for me. Solid 7.5-8/10 I feel my gripes were a bit biased. So, I didn't just dikked the score and give an unbiased moviegoer appeal score.